Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My cat is a serial killer

All of our cats go in and out. We have one cat that prefers to be outside most of the time and only comes in to eat and occasionally take a long nap.

I think she's a serial killer.

Everyday there's something dead on my porch. Whether it be a mole, mouse, bird or chipmunk, there's always something. I know that cats are natural hunters, but she's a stone cold killer.

I also know that cats bring you these dead creatures as "presents" to show their appreciation for the love and care that you give to them.

It's getting to the point of disgusting. The woodland creatures around my house are not safe as long as Bonnie is on the prowl. Sometimes, like this morning, I will find creatures with their heads removed, or worse, they'll be lying their disemboweled. BARF

It's really gross, especially since i am the one who ends of doing the critter disposal.

Aside from keeping her inside all the time, is there anything I can do to deter this? Should I reject the presents by scolding her with my voice? I can't see how that can help.

My husband is at the point where he wants to find her a farm home.

The thing is, she is an extremely lovable cat. She purrs, rubs, and even holds your hand while you pet her.

I don't know what to do
Attached Images

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

She might grow out of it. You didn't say how old she is. I have a cat who is 17 yrs. old now. She was always an indoor/outdoor cat, never had a liter pan, she has alway went to the door and meowed when she needed out.

She was also the neighborhood "serial killer" for a while but the older she got the less it happened and I really don't remember the last time that she killed something and left it one the front porch, it's been years ago.

I didn't get her as a kitten, she was already 2 years old when I got her and I always wondered if it was the way that she proved to us that she was worth keeping. Maybe you should give yours some time and see if it slows down.

My son got a new kitten about a year ago and to be honest with you, I was rather concerned about what Sheba's reaction would be. She never hurt it but you could tell that she was not at all pleased that the new one was here. She just tolerates her now.

Good luck with yours, I think she loves her family and that's her way of showing it.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

ROTFL I am sorry to laugh, but I just can't help but think about how many serial killers keep trophies of their victims, as your cat does. lol

Other than keeping her inside, there isn't anything you can do that I know of. Cats are killers by instinct. We've had several cats and some have been terrific mousers and some were too lazy to kill. If she is being fed well and she is still killing things, there isn't much you can do. Cats are probably one of the few or only domesticated creatures that still hold on to their natural desires.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't scold her, but I wouldn't praise her either.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

She's probably 5 right now, we don't know. We got her from the shelter and I don't think she was more than a year old when we got her, we got her in fall of 2004.

Hopefully she'll outgrow it. Her presents are gross LOL

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Oh, poor Bonnie ...Mommy doesn't like her gifts!

Would she be happy if you were to just keep her inside?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have 3 cats, but one is definitely like this. They are "gifts". She is extremly please with herself when she brings them. Usually little moles, or frogs...today we had a fish...Omigosh! Maybe the neighbor's pond??
Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Mystery Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cat's like to bring their "kill" home to show they are a provider and can feed the family.

To return to the Guess Who Game or learn how to play this fun game click here!

Who is our Mystery Guest this week? Take a guess!
click here to submit your guess!
Please remember to submit only one guess per day. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:48 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was talking to a friend of mine and giving her a laugh about this. She said she would be watching the post office for her wanted poster, so I made one for her LMAO
Attached Images

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

ROTFL

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Nine Year Member

That is so funny Amanda!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills