Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking My cat won't drink her water

how do I insure that my cat drinks water. She never touches the water in her bowl and as far as I know doesn't drink from the toilet.
I mix a little water with her wet food, but is there another way???

Thanks,
Judy
Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Judy, first, I want to officially welcome you to Family Corner. Be sure to post on the Introduce Yourself thread so you may be welcomed by our friendly bunch.

If it were me, I would talk to my Vet and ask him/her about this. At least you can rule out any disease.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi! My cat is also finicky about his water. We started with a water dish beside his food bowl, but no. He would run like heck when he heard me watering the plants and he would try to drink before it sank into the mud! He would drink from the watering can periodically, messy though. He then moved into the tub and only drank after someone had a shower. I didn't think that was enough water, so I put a water bowl on the sink beside the tub. He drank from there for a very long time till we got a fish. He then drank from the fish bowl. Our fish died and now he has a large plastic jar in our living room and that is where he drinks from. Strange creatures aren't they?

Our cat only eats and drinks if we are around. He likes the company. Try all sorts of places and containers till you come across the one that works! Good Luck!

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I would suggest trying a new water bowl, too. If the dish is too deep, he might not feel comfortable drinking from it. I've read that some cats like to have their food and water sitting together and then some prefer to have them seperated.

Try leaving the water off of the food and see if that makes him thirsty.

My cats are spoiled and like ice cubes in their water. lol!! I'm glad to hear that my cats aren't the only ones who are facinated with the shower!!

Good luck with your kitty!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

My two cats (both are 13 years old) are also fussy about drinking water. Even though they have a water dish next to their food bowls, they NEVER use it. They will drink water from a bowl on the kitchen counter or the bathroom counter. Cats can just be weird creatures! I would suggest that you keep a couple of bowls of fresh water around your home and keep watching to see which one your kitty uses.

My other suggestion is to give your kitty the water from water-packed tuna fish and add a little fresh water in it as well. Most cats can't resist it!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My cat is the opposite, he loves water. He LOVES it cold & if you pour a glass from the Brita pitcher(in frig), he has to have some even if you just gave him some. If you water houseplants, he(Boo plant) also has to "be watered"-LOL!! He also loves ice cubes(cubbies) & has to have one if you get one. Think he's spoiled??
His name is BooBoo kitty, BooBoo for short.

Gloria

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 06-29-2008, 04:30 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have two cats, one drinks from his water dish, and our 8 yr old, drinks, occasionally, from there however, almost any cat I have had, will drink from the bathtub faucet even though it's not running. There have a good suckling power that they can get enough from there....I can tell when my cats have been in the tub, I clean my drain weekly and lots of cat hair, I know it's not ours....because there's some black and gray and either of us have that color, lol. So your cat maybe be sucking from the tub faucet.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi, My cat didn't like the water in her dish because I was getting it out of our fridge that has the water on the door. I guess she didn't like it filtered. We had a cup in the shower that I'd used to rinse my dks' heads and so we filled it up with water. And that is what she drinks out of. We empty and refill it every day.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

BY giving the cat MOIST food w/water as a basis you are aiding in the cats daily water intake... Good JOB! :-)

1. CHECK the "type" of bowl being used for the water dish. Cats tongues are more sensitive to certain types of materials used for their food and water. If you have a veterinarian ask what type they use in their medical / boarding cages.
2. If the cat has "always" had drinking issues: try an automated filtered watering system. Ones they can hear, see, and play with (water recycles what is not being used).
3. If his/her drinking issues is a "new" issue: You may have to have her/him looked at by a vet to make certain it is not a health related reason. If it is, you may have to learn some easy medical techniques.
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 01-22-2011, 02:52 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

My cat Rusty will drink water from anywhere but his own dish. He started this the day we adopted him. If I waterplantshe tries to drink that water until i shoo him away. He usually follows whoever into the bathroom and waits for you to turn the tap on to a drip, or he will get into the shower and lick water from the floor. He will also try to drink it from my glass of water.