FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Pets & Animals (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/)
-   -   Crazy, Wacky, Silly, Goofy Cats! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/pets-animals/2263-crazy-wacky-silly-goofy-cats.html)

Amanda 06-16-2002 08:10 AM

Crazy, wacky, silly, goofy cats!

What goofball antics does your cat perform? Tell us about them!

I have an elderly cat who refuses to drink from the water bowl. You have to turn the bathroom sink on to trickle so he can lap it up LOL He also loves ice cream and won't leave me alone when I have a bowl! ;)

katiebird1487 06-20-2002 06:08 PM

I have a pint- sized kitty who loves to sit in my lap when he is very tired. Salem(the kitty)would let me pick him up while he was in my lap and hold his front paws, one in each hand, then , with some music on, I would make him step back and forth to the music. Yes, he actually seemed to like dancing with me!!!
He is such a cutie!!:angel:
:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

Hatvany 06-22-2002 09:26 AM

Goofy Cats

We have 4 cats and 3 of them sleep with my son. They all crowd around him when he's sleeping with the oldest one sleeping on his stomach. If any of the others try to sleep there he will fight until they give up. With my son lying there under the fight.:cat:

Jackie s:-P:: 8-)

Dancemom 06-22-2002 10:20 AM

My cat, Daisy, sits on her hind legs, like a prairie dog. She always does this at the stove when I'm cooking. Sometimes she will sit this way near the refrigerator so a friend of mine says that she is praying to the Refrigerator god. This is especially funny since Daisy weighs a dainty 15 pounds.

Laurie09 06-22-2002 04:25 PM

Hi - first time poster! We have 2 10 yr old cats, Jesse & Janey, brother and sister, though they couldn't be more different (Jesse is HUGE, black and sleek like a seal, Janey is tortoise shell, fluffy and frizzy). Jesse sleeps either as close as he can possibly get to my daughter, almost pushing her off the bed, or between my husband and I. Janey fetches. She has a little cloth ball that she brings us in her mouth, and she stands there until we throw it for her, then she chases it and brings it back. For hours if we let her! They're 10 years old and she's been doing it since she was a kitten and it's still so funny! She also lines up the dry cat food along the ledge of the water bowl, pushes them in, then fishes them out with her paw one by one.

Great to read that everyone else has crazy, adorable kitties too!

Laurie

catlady101 06-23-2002 05:39 PM

crazie cats

I have 3 cats, none related. Two are the same age and one is a year younger.
I got Bubba first only to find she has a food allergy. Earl came along shortly after and he like to lick everything, he helped keep Bubba clean when she was ill the few few months we had her.
A year later my son had a name for a cat but we didn't have another cat, when I went to the local pet store to get the special food for my allergic cat I saw a kitten there that fit the name, she came home with me, her name is Fudge Farley, Fudgie for short. She looks like a pice of peanut butter Fudge, she is brown and orange and cream and white. She also plays catch like the other cat someone mentioned but she is slowing down and would rather just bat the ball and warch you go fetch it. They bring such joy to our lives. My son lives with me, he is in college. We fight over the cats and the cats play along, they are fickle, they sleep in my bed, on his bed and just about anywhere they please. When I have been ill I have all 3 cats in bed with me. They know these things.
Earl still licks everything in sight including me! yuk! but he does it as a way to relax.
Bubba is a tiny cat due to the fact she was 7 months old before we knew what was wrong with her, she just didn't grown much. They all eat the special lamb food. None of them are finiky eaters.
They also respond to being called when they have been outside for a while.
They are social when I have company...they are not like most of my friend's cats.
Ruth
:cat:

Hatvany 06-23-2002 05:57 PM

Ruth:

Your cats sound like so much fun. Our cats are person oriented. Miss Kitty is my daughters cat and she will have nothing to do with anyone else. When my daughter was gone for a week due to work. (she was made assistant manager where she work after only being there 10 months), Miss kitty would come to me but once Melissa come home it was like Oh well I don't need you anymore. Freds kitty called Lucky wont have anything to do with anyone but Fred even if he is away. I took care of him when my son was away and he scrached the heck out of me when I took care of him. The other two kittys are JC jr (for Johnny cat jr), He's a solid gray kitty and so large that people mistake him for a wild cat. He's a lover he will go to anyone and everyone for petting. Finally there is tigger. He's a kitten who we found. He was so thin you could see his ribs but he is doing great now. I haven't been around him to see what he is like.

Jackie s:cat: :cat: :cat:

susanna 06-23-2002 08:31 PM

Like Laurie 09's Janey, our kitty Lucien also fetches like a dog. He runs after his soft ball and trots back with it in his mouth- so cute ! He also drops stuff in his water bowl and fishes them out for fun- maybe these are related behaviors since Janey does the same. Lucien is a 1 1/2 yr old male foundling. Seems like the older he gets the less inclined he is to fetch, though. We hope that he doesn't lose his great talent !

kasparcat 06-24-2002 12:51 PM

Minx sharpens her claws NOT on the furniture, but on the brick hearth fireplace.

Chutzpaw's favorite place to sleep nowadays is on top of the scanner, using the zip-drive for a pillow.

I have an interesting anecdote about Minx. I take a medicine that is a weekly shot. I mixed it up, one time, and left the prepared syringe (capped) on the kitchen counter, till hubby got home from work to give me the shot. But when he got home, the syringe was gone. We looked EVERYWHERE, even moved the stove and fridge out but to no avail. Minx loves to bat things around the kitchen floor, so I figured she had played with it. I ended up mixing the next week's shot up and taking that, and called the drug co. and they laughed with me and then mailed me a replacement shot, bless their hearts. Nearly a month later, I walked into the kitchen and there it was, sitting smack in the middle of the kitchen. I called the drug co. and they said to throw it out; turns out that story is now in their customer service files!

Rani

hapiladi 06-26-2002 12:04 PM

We have a 3 yr old kitty named Mike. He is very ornery; but much loved!:heart: One of the things Mike likes to do, is when I get down to say my prayers each night, he gets on the bed, puts his head against mine until I am done! Then, he curls up beside me and goes to sleep.:cat:
In the morning, I usually get out of bed before my hubby, so Mike waits a few min. and if he doesn't get up, he will run as hard and fast as he can, jumping against the bedroom door until he either knocks it open or the noise gets dh awake!:o
Cats are a law unto themselves...and altho sometimes we feel like we should be locking Mike into a room by himself, we love him so much, he ends up putting happy smiles:-P:: into our hearts. Even Misti, our 10 yr old lab ends up giving up her bed to Mike! Is he one spoiled kitty or what?!?:-D

Dancemom 06-28-2002 09:48 AM

My cat, Daisy, who sits like a prairie dog does several other things too. She sleeps on her own pillow at the head of my bed. If I am ill, she touches me throughout the night. She also has to talk to me when I first get out of bed. It's like she's really holding a conversation with me. If I don't answer back she will swish her tail angrily and leave the room.

The cutest thing she does though is come to me when I sing "Bicycle Built for Two. She is definitely a hoot!:cat:

clutterbug 07-07-2002 09:12 AM

The fun of catz

We too have joined the ranks of certified
cat ownership. As a child, I was allergic
to cats, so we had a dog. When I was pregnant
with my fourth child, we went to the swimming
pool. As we came back, we opened the van door
and heard a tiny mew. I looked under the van
and there was a tiny kitten, about 8 weeks old.
We took her to the vet, told them we'd found
her, had her checked out. Took her home.
As a first time kitten owner, I was concerned
that it would be lonely at night, so we set
up a "crib" beside our bed, and cuddled it
every night before putting it to bed. Well
needless to say....our daughter is 7 years old
now, and the kitten is 7 years old. Our
daughter is no longer in our bedroom .... but
you guessed it.... the cat is. Every night
she comes and lays on my feet. Every night
she lays on top of me. If I lay on my side
she perches on top. This is the only time
of day she acknowledges I exist.:-P:: Mitsy
(her name) also has been in the bathtub
with my kids (somewhat accidently somewhat my
choice). She has a penchant for staring down
the bathtub and sink drains, waiting for a
mouse to come out. She loves looking at
running water, and often sleeps in the sink
or hamper. This cat has given us many laughs
and enjoyment.

At this time we have 5 cats. It's a crazy addiction.
Our dog gets along well with most of them. Our food
bill is getting out of control.

Strangely, I have very few allergic responses
anymore.

catlady101 07-14-2002 11:21 AM

just got back from a weeks vacation, tent camping, sure could have used a dog, the racoons were unforgiving.
When I got home my 3 cats, 2 mine 1 by DS's ignored me, walked right past me as if I were a stranger. One made up last night and snuggled while I watched TV and the other took til today to finally come onto my lap and snuggle while I was reading a weeks worth of email. Thanks goodness, I thought they had converted to my DS instead of me.
Ruth
:cat: :cat: :cat:

stitcher45 07-14-2002 12:46 PM

CATS, CATS, AND MORE CATS

Right now we have 4 female cats (and 3 babies) living with us - 2 ours and 2 DD's. Ours are about 6 months younger than hers. when they first came hers went into heat. ours had never done that but you can bet - they too went into heat. what a loud moaning place this was. Since then we had one spayed and one got PG - she just had her babies yesterday. ^^

we have tried to keep the other cats away from her until the babies are a little older but this morning I heard a funny noice coming from our room. When I went in there were two of the other cats trying to peek over the top of the box and the mother cat was growling like a dog. It was the funniest thing to watch the others trying to get a little look. Momma does not want anyone in there and will block the view of the babies if you stopped near her box.

Of the 4 big cats one has a major birth defect with her chest cavity so she is very tiny compared with the others. We have a wire with bits of heavy paper that the cats all love to play with. Some of them just set on the couch and try to catch it that way but Little Bit can jump over 3 ft to get it - when she gets it in her mouth then she pulls it out of your hand and drags it off to play by herself. After she gets tired of it she will bring it back to us or give it to one of the others.

It is a healthy thing to have a cat to pet. It lowers your blood pressure and lowers your stress level. They say people with a cat live longer than those who don't. Many care facilities now either let pets be brought in to visit the patients or have cats or little dogs living there all the time. Pet threapy is very important in working with some children with emotional problems. Just a few facts that I have run across or know from experience.

Have a wonderful day

:daisy:

:cat: :cat: :cat: :cat:

catlady101 07-14-2002 05:22 PM

Sandy,
One of my cats, Fudgey, use to be a therapy cat for a nursing home but I had to stop since it made her very stressed out. The patients loved her and she was a gentle as can be but she would get so scared. I do believe that they do lower your BP. I can feel tension drain right out of me when the cats are snuggled up with me in bed.
Ruth
:cat: :cat: :cat:

katiebird1487 09-28-2002 11:23 AM

Silly, goofy wacky cats!

Believe it or not, we actually have a cot that rocks in our rocking chair that is on the front porch. Bufont(that is the cat's name)is the rocking chair cat. When he gets sleepy, he walks up to rocking chair and jumps into the chair so hard that it rocks slowly
for a few minutes(anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes). Now that is what I like to call a silly, whacky, goofy cat!!!
:-D ROFLMAO :cat: :cat:

catlady101 09-28-2002 12:51 PM

crazy wackie...etc cats

During the rest of the summer we decided to get a kitten....her name is Kitkat...we went to the local SPCA, she had tracheorhinitis (cat equivalent to kennel cough) she also had an eye infection.
She was isolated as much as one can with 4 cats. Not long after Bubba got the eye infection, and had to be treated with meds, then the kitten needed new meds since she didn't get better, then out of blue and unrelated to Kitkat Fudgey got real sick, they think Toxoplasmosis but due to lack of funds we never did bloodwork except CBC's. Her white count was elevated and she had a fever and wasn't eatting or drinking and was started on antibiotics for the presumed illness. She stayed at the vets for a few days, or was it longer...seems like forever and seems like a long time ago now. We brought her home and kept her on the antibiotic and kept her isolated in my room, she slowly got stronger and is now out and sociallizing a bit, still is less then tolerant of the kitten. Fudgey is still weak but seems stable, she may have some damage due to the illness but she is in no pain now and is happy.
This would have been a good time to have pet insurance. I am still paying the bills.
Ruth
:cat:

cheriegirl 10-29-2002 07:46 AM

Cats that Think They're Dogs!!

Hi there!
I have had some pretty crazy cats. My cat Rajah thought he was a dog (he was raised as a kitten with three puppies). I lived in the South Pacific, and there were packs of wild dogs that ran around and started fights with our sweet, dometicated dogs! Rajah, my cat, would run full speed, the second he heard our dogs being attacked. He would jump into the middle of the fight and leap onto the backs of the bad, wild dogs. Hair would fly as he scratched their backs continuously until they ran off into the jungle yelping! Rajah saves the day, yet again! Our dogs were forever grateful to him! Talk about a crazy cat!:cat:

leasmom 04-14-2004 07:36 AM

My cat likes to window hunt-LOL!

If I put her outside she will jump full-body on to the screen door like let me in...I wanted her to get out there and hunt like her mom did, nope...not her. She wants to hunt in the window where it's safe-LOL!ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Breezy 04-14-2004 07:41 AM

I HAVE ONE THAT NEVER GOES OUTSIDE. IF WE PUT HIM OUT HE JUST STANDS THERE LIKE A FROZEN STATUE.

leasmom 04-14-2004 07:52 AM

Breezy, LOL!!!

That would be funny to see-LOL!

I have two cats now, Chili and Paprika...Chili is the mom. When Chili was a baby she used to go outside with her mom, Spicy. And when Chili was 8 months old she got pregnant and then when she was nearly a year old we moved. She was used to it but being inside since having her kittens and being fixed, she now is terrified of everything. I've let her outside before and she does this everytime, you'd think she was locked up inside all her life-LOL! Her kitten Paprika, who's nearly one now is the one I worry about because when he goes outside he ends up on my neighbor's roofs-LOL! So, I don't let him out anymore...Chili is scared of everything even indoors. Ugh, she's nothing like her mom, Spicy, Chili is frightened of her own shadow-LOL!

Breezy 04-14-2004 08:15 AM

LOVE YOUR CATS NAMES!!!!!!!!!

leasmom 04-14-2004 08:31 AM

Thanks...I can give you the whole geanology

Spicy mom of Chili
Chili mom of Paprika, (Pepper, Salsa and Cayenne)-who were adopted out and Pepper died...:(
And the buck stops here!!!

roisindubh 07-19-2004 02:09 AM

Our cat Minnie is definitely not a lap cat! She's one of those cats that only lets you handle her when she feels like it. But right after I go to bed, she comes into the bedroom and hops up on me, strolls up to my chest, and gently pats at my mouth until I pet her. She especially wants her ears rubbed, what we call "ear-lovin's." Sometimes I play possum and pretend I'm already asleep, but she just goes pitty-pat at my lips until I get the giggles and give in. Then suddenly she'll decide she's had enough attention and wander off again. She's really attached to my DH and loves to sit on him or close to him, but she never plays her bedtime game with him. He's told me that on nights I turn in early, Minnie apparently realizes I'm missing, and she goes in and tries to get me to play. Of course, I'm usually already snoring for real, so she just pats me for a bit, then gives up on me. You just can't train some humans!

We saw her going bonkers one day, pouncing around on the carpet, and couldn't figure out what she was doing. My DH finally realized that the light was reflecting off the HUGE dial of his watch and Minners was chasing the shiny round reflection on the floor.

She's one funny cat, our Ms. Minners!

debknechtel 07-20-2004 07:11 AM

One of our cats will sleep with my son at night under the covers and almost "spooning with him" As soon as my oldest goes to bed Tiger will jump up and wait for him hold the covers up and crawl in. He stays with him for about an hour every night!! I have never seen a cat do this before? My son loves it!!

roisindubh 07-25-2004 09:08 AM

How cute, Deb! I had a cat once who had to touch me when I slept. He'd curl up right next to me or just lay one paw on me, but he had to be in contact the whole night. They can be such sweeties.... "Dog people" -- don't get me wrong, I love dogs, too, the bigger and gallumphier the better! -- always seem to think cats are aloof & cold, but I think that they just show their love in different ways. Kind of nice to know your four-legged bud loves you without big, slurpy, dog-breath kisses and muddy paw prints all over your clothes, after all!

You know you're a true cat person when you learn how to hold the bedclothes up so you can turn over without disturbing the cat sleeping on top of ya! :cat:

The ani cat smilie reminded me of this! Do your kids know Maukie? He (she?) is fun to play with online. You can save him/her to your hard drive, too. Just move your mouse around and watch how the kitty reacts. Be sure to turn the sound on! Virtual purrs are almost as nice as live ones. I resized Maukie and color-coordinated the background to post a mini version on the links page of our family webpages. Cute little gizmo!

SarahV 08-01-2004 03:41 PM

We have three cats, all rescue babies. Tobie, the oldest is 8, and we got him from the pound. We've had him for 7 1/2 years. We call him the salesman because when we were there at the pound he just acted so lovey and outgoing. Plus he is drop dead gorgeus a silver tabby British Shorthair. Well, we got him home and he immediately went under the bed and didn't come out for weeks. It took about a year for us to be able to hold him in our laps and to this day he will not let us stand and hold him. He also hates kids, and whenever we had neices or nephews around he would hide in the master bedroom and not come out until the coast was clear. We were worried when I became preganant, if by having this baby we were sentencing him to a life under the bed. Well, that has been 2 1/2 years ago, and I am happy to say my daughter is the only kid Tobie will tolerate. Whew!! The funny thing about him is he slobbers! Like a dog! If you have him on your lap and are petting him, he will purr to beat the band and when he leaves you will have a wet spot the size of a plate from him drooling. :)

Misty and Lucy were both kittens to feral mothers (we have quuite the feral cat population in our neighborhood). Misty is the fixer. Anybody cries or yells, she has to find out what the problem is. Even the dog, who she just tolerates, got her attention when she got a burr stuck in her pawpad. She gets right up in your face and kisses your chin. Lucy is the baby of our lot. She will be a year in September and our yellow lab Sunny thinks Lucy is her puppy. When Lucy was a baby-baby (we got her when she was about 2 weeks old) Sunny would lick her clean and try to have Lucy sleep with her. We always worried that Sunny would squish her, but to this day they sleep together and they are "best buddies."

We have a dog, but in truth I am a real cat person. I don't think I could be truly happy without a cat in my life.

Sarah

ladyIris23 08-31-2004 03:13 PM

Hello I just found this thread and thought I would post about our cats. we had a beautiful blue/gray cat named Smokey for 18 years. We had to have him put to sleep last Nov. and I still miss him.
We now have 2 kitties. Montgomery is a 1 year old striped tabby who thinks he is king of the household. We've had him since last Dec.
our newest kitty is Gracie she is 1/2 siamese (sp?) and 1/2 heaven only knows.She is aprox. 1 year also. We got her at our local shelter. She is one of 145 yes I said 145 rescued from a home here in town. The couple that owned them started out with two kittens 5 years ago and ended up with 145. They kept them in the baement. The neighbors complained about the smell and animal control rescued them all. any way our only problem with Gracie is even after two baths she still smells anyone have any ideas how to make her smell clean and fresh, not dirty and like urine? She uses the litter box and I change it every morning but she stinks. Any help would be welcome
Iris:cat:

SarahV 08-31-2004 06:21 PM

There is a grooming spray that is safe for cats, it smells like apricots and can be found in most pet stores. I want to say it is under $5.00, also talk to a local groomer, they may be able to give you a hint, possibly baking soda or something else benign sprinkled on the cat then brushed out??

Good luck!

Sarah

ladyIris23 08-31-2004 06:53 PM

Thank you I will check at Petsmart tomorrow. She is such a tiny thing but oh so sweet. We are keeping the two cats seperate for 10 days hopefully they will get along after that. Montgomery knows she is here and so far isn't acting to happy about that fact. We have been spoiling him a little. Any tips on introducing them to each other? They are the same age but he out weighs her by at least 5 lbs.
iris:cat:

SarahV 08-31-2004 08:04 PM

Just take it slow. I have had cats for 36 years and sometimes introductions go well and sometimes they don't, it depends of the personality of both cats involved. What I would do is keep them separated for a few days, but switch the locations. If one cat is in the bedroom and the other in the den, I would switch them and put cat B in the bedroom and cat A in the den. That way they get used to all the smells of their new roommate. When you introduce the new kitty for the first time, give all your love to the original kitty and ignore the new one as he sniffs around. Keep a spray bottle of water or at least a glass of water nearby in case they start a rumble, just douse them and will separate, then try again a day or two later. Usually the kitties will just hiss and yewl at each other. That's my own experience. My cats have always been altered, cats who are unaltered (male or female) are more aggresive.

Good luck! It usually just takes a couple of days and some patience. :)

Sarah

sharona 09-01-2004 07:30 AM

We just had to put our 16 yo Orange Marmalade down this morning. Her name was Cali, and a very important member of our household. I am numb, but enjoying reading your stories. I needed the lift.

Sharon

SarahV 09-01-2004 08:39 AM

Oh Sharon, I am so sorry. It is always hard to lose a member of your family, even when they have lived such a long life. I know it hurts, and you are in my thoughts.

Sarah

debknechtel 09-01-2004 09:07 AM

Sharon...so sorry to hear about your cat,Cali. It is so hard when you lose a member of the family and I imagine after 16 years she was a big part of many happy memories. thinking about you

Hugs
Debbie:heart:

sharona 09-01-2004 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the kind words.

It is so hard being in my office, I work from home, and not have her here napping or petting me when she wants to be petted.

Keep yur cat stories coming, I need to hear them.

Sharon

ladyIris23 09-06-2004 09:55 AM

we ended up taking Gracie our newest kitty to the Vet this morning. She hadn't ate or drank anything for 2 days. She wouldn't come out of her carrier and if we brought her out she just turned around and went right back in. She also had dried blood on her top lip this morning. Anyway the vet thinks she has an infected tooth. But, she wouldn't let him look in her mouth. So, they kept her and are giving her fluids through an IV today and hopefully tomorrow they can get a look inside her mouth. She is tiny only 3lbs but she is a fighter. She is the one that we got from animal control 10 days ago. She was one of 145 cats found in a private home.
Iris:(

debknechtel 09-06-2004 10:51 AM

ladyiris..so sorry to hear your little kitten is suffering!!! It is always so hard when we get attached to an animal to see it in pain. I hope that it is just an infected tooth ...that should be pretty easy to rectify. Keep us posted on how she is doing!!!

hugs

Debbie

sharona 09-06-2004 11:20 AM

Iris, I hope Gracie will be fine and that is nothing more than that tooth. I'll say a prayer for her and your family.

Sharon

ladyIris23 09-09-2004 12:12 PM

well we ended up losing Gracie last night. The vet never did figure out for sure what was wrong with her. We were going to have her put to sleep today but she ended up passing away during the night. I feel guilty but I know I did everything I could. We only had her for 10 days but man my heart feels empty
Iris

SarahV 09-09-2004 12:26 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Gracie. You are in my thoughts. It is always difficult to lose an animal.

Sarah