Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Just take it slow. I have had cats for 36 years and sometimes introductions go well and sometimes they don't, it depends of the personality of both cats involved. What I would do is keep them separated for a few days, but switch the locations. If one cat is in the bedroom and the other in the den, I would switch them and put cat B in the bedroom and cat A in the den. That way they get used to all the smells of their new roommate. When you introduce the new kitty for the first time, give all your love to the original kitty and ignore the new one as he sniffs around. Keep a spray bottle of water or at least a glass of water nearby in case they start a rumble, just douse them and will separate, then try again a day or two later. Usually the kitties will just hiss and yewl at each other. That's my own experience. My cats have always been altered, cats who are unaltered (male or female) are more aggresive.

Good luck! It usually just takes a couple of days and some patience.

Sarah
Old 09-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We just had to put our 16 yo Orange Marmalade down this morning. Her name was Cali, and a very important member of our household. I am numb, but enjoying reading your stories. I needed the lift.

Sharon

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh Sharon, I am so sorry. It is always hard to lose a member of your family, even when they have lived such a long life. I know it hurts, and you are in my thoughts.

Sarah
Old 09-01-2004, 10:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sharon...so sorry to hear about your cat,Cali. It is so hard when you lose a member of the family and I imagine after 16 years she was a big part of many happy memories. thinking about you

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for all the kind words.

It is so hard being in my office, I work from home, and not have her here napping or petting me when she wants to be petted.

Keep yur cat stories coming, I need to hear them.

Sharon

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

we ended up taking Gracie our newest kitty to the Vet this morning. She hadn't ate or drank anything for 2 days. She wouldn't come out of her carrier and if we brought her out she just turned around and went right back in. She also had dried blood on her top lip this morning. Anyway the vet thinks she has an infected tooth. But, she wouldn't let him look in her mouth. So, they kept her and are giving her fluids through an IV today and hopefully tomorrow they can get a look inside her mouth. She is tiny only 3lbs but she is a fighter. She is the one that we got from animal control 10 days ago. She was one of 145 cats found in a private home.
Iris
Old 09-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

ladyiris..so sorry to hear your little kitten is suffering!!! It is always so hard when we get attached to an animal to see it in pain. I hope that it is just an infected tooth ...that should be pretty easy to rectify. Keep us posted on how she is doing!!!

hugs

Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Iris, I hope Gracie will be fine and that is nothing more than that tooth. I'll say a prayer for her and your family.

Sharon

Old 09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

well we ended up losing Gracie last night. The vet never did figure out for sure what was wrong with her. We were going to have her put to sleep today but she ended up passing away during the night. I feel guilty but I know I did everything I could. We only had her for 10 days but man my heart feels empty
Iris
Old 09-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am so sorry to hear about Gracie. You are in my thoughts. It is always difficult to lose an animal.

Sarah