Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-12-2002, 06:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking Cat wants outside!!!!

We have a 7 year old cat who has been an indoor cat all that time. She's been fixed and declawed, and has never even wanted outside. This spring, she started running out the door whenever we open it to go inside! At first, she just would go on the porch and walk around. We'd grab her and take her back inside. But now, she's starting to run out into the yard!!! We don't want her to be an outside cat! We're afraid she'll get hit by a car or one of the neighbor's dogs will get her. How can we keep her from running out the door every time we open it???

Bev
http://www.now.at/noni
Old 06-15-2002, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Maybe put a leash on your cat and take it out on weekends or when you have time in your yard and let it do cat stuff. I have 4 cats and 2 are declawed all are fixed! we live by the freeway and so we take them out and watch them then we all come back in, they roll and hunt and then want in.. Try it and see if your cat is happier??
Old 06-15-2002, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb wanting to go outside

hello.

i usually let my cats go outside to play 2-3 times a week for 30 mins. or less each time.
when i had a fenced in backyard-i sat outside and watched them play. when one would jump the fence or climb under-i would catch them and scold them and put them back in the house for punishment. they caught on real quick that way.
now -we let them play on the deck-and same rules-if you jump off the deck-you go inside.
they usually listen.
if you dont have a deck or fenced yard-try the harness & leash idea.
just take kitty for a leisurely stroll through the yard for a while or sit in a chair while kitty relaxes and rolls in the grass.
also-when kitty bolts for the door-try misting with water sprayer for punishment.
or put something outside the door kitty might not like-perhaps a scarecrow, a whirlygig, a windchime, a fake owl-i am sure you can come up with something kitty won't like to run out the door and meet.
good luck.
sincerely-Sheila ann anderson
(the 7 smilies represent=me,hubby-paul,3 yr old son-tyler,3 kitty sons-tiger,romeo,monte,and 1 doggy son who thinks he is a cat)
Old 06-15-2002, 08:17 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation

Hi
Our dc (dear cat) Lucien was originally a stray found in the parking lot, so while he was initially glad to come in, he hears the call of the wild. We only have a second floor porch w/ railing outside our condo, and Lucien loves to be out there. However, he has tiptoed along the outside of the railing to get to the neighbor's porch a couple times already, and it is a long way down should he misstep, so we try to limit his porch time to when we can be right there to intercept him- not always fast enough!

We find that when Lucien is busy and occupied inside he is less interested in going out. He is high maintainence, so we always try to make and find new toys for him. Right now he is enamored of a few goose feathers, especially the one tied to a string.

I saw in a cat book an idea for an obstacle course for kitties, made with a couple boards for ramps, and chairs and boxes. I asked my daughter and her friend to set up one for Lucien this summer. We have a leash for him, but he is afraid to actually be outside and slithers along the ground on his belly- not much fun.

This is a hard problem for kitties and their loving owners. Lucien cries piteously when we are out on the porch without him.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Inside cat

We have had, over a period of years, 4 inside cats. Our present "little girl" does not want to go outside. The squirt gun routine works to discipline her. And now we only have to pick the squirt gun up and she knows to stop whatever she is doing that is wrong. Perhaps, somebody should stand outside the door with a squirt gun and train her. This certainly does not harm the cat and it takes very little water for training. Hope this helps as I know how scary it is when an inside cat of 7 years is not "street smart." judy63
Old 06-19-2002, 04:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi,

We use the spray bottle on our cats, and it works great! All I have to do is pick up the bottle and show it to them, or shake it, and they instantly stop whatever they are doing wrong. A little squirt of water on them and they are angels again. I have a couple of cats that are allowed out, but the rest are declawed and are strictly forbidden. I live on a very busy road (with a speed limit I might add that nobody inforces) and I am constantly watching out for them. They are my babies. Good luck,

JHurych
Old 06-19-2002, 06:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Outside Please!!!!

I have a 7 yr old cat myself. My first thought was that I would keep him as an indoor cat. But this wasn't fair to him as he was a barn kitten to begin with. I have taken alot of ragging from my friends, but I put my cat out on a run. I went to our local Agway store and purchased a harness for cat's. I also bought one of those cork screw style dog ground restrants. You just screw it into the ground, attach a line to it and hook it to the harness. My cat has been doing this for 7 yrs now and doesn't have a problem with it. He knows that he can't go out unless he has his harness on. He has no actual limitations being tied up. He still catches birds, chipmunks, little bunnies and has the occational cat fight. Mind you, he holds his own and sends the other cat(s) running. I wish you luck and hope you give this a try. Your cat will love you for it.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:14 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

questioning walking the cat

I have a one and a half yr old cat. After he got out for the second time, I decided to take him for walks. I was hoping that this would satisfy the call of the wild. But now Im not so sure, this previously mute cat now sits by the door and meows all the time. I take him out 2-3 times a day, but its not enough, and what am I going to do in the middle of winter? I refuse to go out for food, now I have to go walk the cat???? Im hoping he will calm down, but so far he hasnt.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Winter Time worries

I understand what your saying about winter. Like I said my cat goes out all the time on his harness and run. When it comes to winter, he has no interest in going out. He would much rather roll up in a ball on the bed and sleep the entire day. I don't think you'll have a problem with your's either. You won't have to worry about that for a few months. But when the time comes and there's lots of snow, take your cat out and toss him into a snowbank and see what the reaction will be. Most likely he'll want to go back in and your worries will be over. Good luck
Old 06-24-2002, 08:25 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

kitty going outside

IF your cat is crying at the door there is usually a reason. One of the reasons could be he smells a mate nearby. We can tell when any neighborhood cats go into heat when our un-neutered males start crying at the door. The first thing you need to do is make sure your cat is neutered. THat help. Second, he could be bored with the inside. Get him some cat toys, things to climb on, items to bat around so he can run around and feel like he is outside. Third, he is curious. Cats are so naturally curious. THis is the hardest one to curb. Walking him on a leash is a good idea as long as your cat will tolerate a leash. I have one cat who tried to beat himself to death on a rock when I put a leash on him. There was no way he was going to have one on. If you do not want your cat to go outside, the best thing is to make it an unpleasant experience for him. Squirting him with a water gun is the most humane was to make it uncomfortable for him. Whenever you get ready to open the door, have a squirt gun in hand and squirt him on the tips of the ears and he will not like that. IF you keep this up, then he will learn that if he runs out that door he will get wet. I have even gone as far as spraying one of my cats with a hose because he was so stubborn. Cats generally hate water, so this will discourage them without hurting them. I wish you luck. Most cats will get over being an indoor only cat. I have 16 cats and they are all indoor only cats and they all came from a stray mother outside. I only have 1 that heads for the door (outside or any open door) but when I use the water gun for a while, he get the message and stops going through the door.
Best wishes,
Amy
mom to 2 boys (6yrs & 4months), 1 dog and 16 cats