Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-26-2002, 11:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have an inside cat. She never tries to run out, but will wonder out if a door is left open. I would think that "walking" a cat would make them want out more and increase that dash for the door. When we were little our neighbor would tie their declawed inside cat to a tree. She could hold her own with the neighborhood dogs just with the terrible noise she could make!
Old 07-11-2002, 05:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

inside or outside?

Hi there! I have always had cats, mostly in/out, but if they are not spayed, the females stay in. I have one who wants out now and again, and I have a closed in back porch with a pet door. She will go to the opening, look out, and then be content to wander on the porch for a bit.
Some cats are easily trained to a harness, which is much better than a collar for small type animals, and others are not. You can start by putting it on them inside only for a few days, just a little while every now and then throught out the day. Then try putting the leash on and walking them around the house, all this before you venture outside. Once they are use to this thing around them and knowing that there is a limit to how far they can go, then take them out and watch them. Don't leave them alone untill you feel confidante that they are comforable with the whole thing.
Make sure there is nothing near by they can jump over and hang themselves on. And make sure you have some catnip or tall grass near by they can chew on. I bring in some for my indoor cats. You can get dried catnip to keep on hand, or dry your own. Some health food stores can get catnip extract for you. I kkep that on hand for my cats, as well as me. About 5-6 drops in a cup of water or tea, warm, and it helps you sleep at night. Good for cranky kids too.
Enjoy you cats! Or whatever little, or big, critters you have. They are good companions on those days the grandkids aren't around!
Old 07-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My cat is an indoor cat, also. She got into a phase before we got her fixed where she was always jumping out the door (she even broke through our screen door a few times). She was a big scaredy once she got out. We found her in our backyard once shaking and crying, and we didn't even know she had escaped! We tried the water thing, but it didn't work because she loves water (tried jumping in the shower w/ me a few times). She grew out of it when we got her fixed, and has only tried a few other times, but hasn't actually gotten out. The outdoor harness is a good idea, I never thought of that before. My ex-neughbors used to keep their cat on a chain attached to their porch, but the harness idea is better!
Old 07-11-2002, 01:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

kitty wants outside

Our cat was classified as "an adult outdoor stray" when we adopted him from the SPCA so he was an out-door kitty from the get-go. As I had already suffered heartbreaking misshaps with cars and other kitties I did not want him to wander. We also got a harness and a light dog picket and tether. After a few trial runs 1) up the tree leaving harness and tether stuck up there 2) tangled in the tree and still in harness, and 3) bolting full speed and learning just how far the tether goes, he got the idea. The tether will let him get up a tree, but not so far that he tangles so I feel better about dogs. He too manages to catch birds (yuk), and use an outdoor litterbox. He likes to bask in the sun on the sidewalk and never complains about his restraints. We did get a little lax about tying him up and he went missing overnight. When he came back he looked very distressed and had a piece of speaker wire tied to his harness which told me someone had tied him up somewhere and he was able to twist free. He hardly ever ventures from the yard anymore.

Thank you for the water spray tip. We don't have the problem with our cat, but our neighbours little kitten is always breaking into our house. A few squirts at the door should cure him.
Old 07-12-2002, 04:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cats/Harness'

One thing that I've learned. When we started putting Marime out on a line, we used a regular collar. He used to get lose from that all the time. (it was a break away collar) Went to a regular collar and he did get hung up afew times. Nothing major, he slipped out of the collar if/when he got hung up on the fence. But then I bought the harness. There is no way that they can hang themselves w/ a harness. I still leave his lose enough where he can get out of it if he gets tangled around something. It works well. No worries. Glad to hear that there are others out their who use a harness and run for their cats. Now I can tell my friends that I'm not crazy.