Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-28-2002, 11:44 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I currently have three red-eared sliders--dh got me one for my b-day a few years ago, then decided it needed a buddy . We got Shelly when a lady from my son's playgroup needed to get rid of her, but wasn't sure where to take her after being raised in captivity. I want to build a pond so I can put them outside--they really are too big for the tank they're in!

I had rats when I was a kid--they were the coolest pets! Smart and fairly clean. Cleaner than the hamsters and guinea pigs, anyway! They did tricks, and were quiet. The ones you get at the store aren't sewer rats, so they don't have as much of the "eeww" factor lol!

I don't think of them as pets, but we also have two toads living in the veggie garden. They are used to us--I have to move them sometimes when I'm weeding, or weed-whacking. They don't want to move lol!
Old 06-28-2002, 08:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Introduction/ferrets, hedghogs/hamsters

Hi all, besides 4 kids, we have a ferret named Gidget. Jluy 17th she will be two. She is leash trained and even has a special seat belt in our van. We also have 3 hamsters. Our hedgehog of 8 years recently past away. Zero has been severly missed. I would love to chat with other ferret lovers.
Old 06-29-2002, 06:42 AM
New Neighbor

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Newbie

We currently have a red-eared slider named Baby and a cat named Stinky (no, he doesn't really!). We had a Barred Rock chicken named Peep (got back at Easter from a man selling them on a bridge) but we live in town and when Peep started proving that he was a rooster, he had to go. We generally have a couple of grass snakes but none on hand at the moment. Had a big bunny in a hutch out in the back yard until the neighborhood possum tore a hole in the chickenwire (can you believe that?) and skinned the poor thing.

Can you tell we aren't really town people at heart?
Old 06-29-2002, 08:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have five turtles, 4 red eared racers (hex,franklin, speedy and aphrodite) and 1 eastern paint( gus). 2-27 years old They are in the backyard now for the summer. 2 syrian hamsters Shaggy and Scooby. One rex bunny (dd calls him hopscotch I call him physco ). A water dog ( slimey) and 2 fire bellied newts ( still nameless)
Our big turtle just laid about a dozen eggs today so hopefully we will have more turtles soon. A batch of turtles that we hatched last year was flown to a turtle refuge in Ontario to be released into the wild along with one of our male turtles, Freddy to help repopulate the areas wild turtles. So hopefully we can do the same this year
Old 06-30-2002, 06:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Othelia,

Hi! My son has a water dog too! It metamorphed into a salamander. He has had "Tony" for 8 years and still swimming!
He has also recused turtles from the highway and has received turtles as a birthday present. One of his turtles ran away over night and the other he put in a wildlife santuary.

Now he wants snakes, and mice! Yuck!

janet
Old 06-30-2002, 03:41 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have a dwarf rabbit. He is a little over a year old. His name is Bugsey. He looks like Bugs Bunny in the face We put him on a leash to take him for walks. I never realized how attached you could get to an animal. He has made such a good pet for my daughter.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:31 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janet, you may want to point out to your ds that snakes and mice don't mix well lol! Seriously, the mice will be edgy because of the smell of a predator and may bite if he tries to pick them up. The snake will constantly be getting out of it's pen to go after the mice. Trust me, I'm speaking from experience here!:p
Old 07-01-2002, 04:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Good Point Mrsmaniac!

I am always looking for a good out on not buying these new pets! lol

I let my ds read a few of the posts about pets, mice, rats, and so on....he is now thinking he might NOT want any.

I am okay with a newt, anole, turtle but not hamsters, mice, rats and so on. My ds does have a salamander, water based.

A couple of finches would be okay too!

janet
Old 07-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Snakes and salamanders are o.k., but mice are not my favorite kind of pet. My two hermit crabs are enough for me. Their names are Richy and Lucy(after the "I Love Lucy"show). Lucy and Richy
really LOVE popcorn!!! First I tried them on lettuce, but they didn't seem to think too much of it. Then I gave them each a piece of popcorn and the next day, more than half was gone from each piece. Richy is a real scaredy-crab most of the time. Every
time he would see my hand while coming out of his shell, the slightest movement would make him pop back into his shell again. Lucy, on the other hand, is an explorer. If I take her
out of her box-like cage and place her on the floor, she crawls off as fast as she can. Lucy's shell is about 1 inch tall. Richy's is close to 1 1\2 inches tall. I Love them both, even though Lucy scratches enough at night to wake the dead!!!!!:mad:
Old 07-09-2002, 11:10 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'd like to have a snake, but dh forbids it lol! A friend of ours has a python about 24 feet long, and a boa about 18 feet long. He has to keep them in their own room instead of a cage! Dh doesn't want anything that big. He won't let me get any type of lizard, either--"they're just snakes with feet!" Oh well--if I need a "reptile fix" I just go visit our gfriend!