Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Need help with kidney stone diet.

My dog has a kidney stone. The Vet sent him home with a special diet and some anti-biotics. He has been urinating some blood. Does anyone know what foods to avoid and what foods he can have to help disolve the stone?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Oh, girl....when it rains, it pours for you.

Sorry, I can't help but I am hoping that someone can help you out.

Big Hugs!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Thanks. When I first moved to Las Cruces, it was like this. We had one catastrophe after another. It lasted for 5 weeks ending when the Vet gave us all the bad news about Jet-Bo. With a lot of TLC, he lived about 13-14 months of good quality life.

We are hoping this means this is the end of this little trip with Murphy's Law. lol

Poncho refuses to eat the kidney stone diet food DH brought home from the Vet. I am hoping to find a recipe or two of some homemade kind. I am more familiar with the kidney (renal) diet though. If I cannot find the list of homemade diets the Vet gave me last time, I will go back and ask for another copy. Maybe Ponch will eat it if it is homemade. The can stuff DH brought home looks pretty nasty. I mean this stuff looks worse than the kidney diet they were on for over a year with Jet-Bo.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Debora sorry to hear he has a kidney stone. Our cat had crystals in his urine and was urinating blood we had to put him on a lamb type diet and special food from the vet. Once it cleared with antibiotics and he has kept to the food we have had no problems. After a few days of not eating he took to the food.

Here is a web page with some food and recipes for kidney disease in dogs
http://vetprof.com/clientinfo/Kidney...nDogs/diet.htm

Here is anouther

http://www.bichon.org/stonestable1.htm

and anouther

http://www.2ndchance.info/calculi.htm

this shows a type of health supplement
http://pet-helper.com/product/AD__KIDNEY_STONES

Hope this helps

hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 08-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

DebK, thanks for the links. That second link shows what I can and cannot give him, which is helpful. That leaves out the homemade dogfood that I have in the freezer. lol He can have poultry, eggs, potatoes, rice, and macaroni, amongst other things. Man, this diet is more strict than the renal diet that we had Jet-Bo on. I will go down to the Vet's office tomorrow for the list of homemade diets since I cannot find mine. With me moving, there is no telling what I did with the one I had. I may just boil an egg and mix with some rice and green beans for tonight. At least I know he can have those.

I have been to that first link before when Jet-Bo was put on his special diet.

Oops, I just noticed that he cannot have green beans. I'll think of something.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hope it works out for him DeBora......I remember now that it is a low ash diet for cats with this problem......our cat is on a food from the vet as it is one of the lowest ash ones....we have not had any problems since. Took them awhile to like the new food but they took to it after awhile......all the newer cats we have gotten are only introduced to it so don't know any different

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Thanks! I got a list of diets from the Vet. I found the low, low protein diet. I have been reading on the Internet that his diet needs to be very low protein as it causes the stones. He also needs salt to encourage drinking. I have been reading that many people make their own dog food since their dogs will NOT eat the prescription diet food. Both my boys have been eating my homemade stuff. I just have to give Bonte his food while Poncho is outside since Bonte is a puppy is still young and needs his vitamins and such. I am also supplementing both boys with vitamins.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Okay, I decided on a diet recipe that I got from my vet. Also, I am giving my boys vitamins on top of the homemade food. I made a bunch this afternoon so that I could freeze it. Since I am leaving for Fort Worth on Wednesday, I need to have some made up for my DH.

Ultra Low protein diet

2 1/2 cups white rice, cooked
1 boiled egg
1/4 teaspoon calcium carbonate
1/4 teaspoon potassium chloride
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix together.

This isn't supposed to be fed to your dog on a forever basis. It is temporary until the stone disolves.