Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-07-2002, 05:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Adding new cat to family of two

We have only two cats that are seven years old. They are not bad with each other but not friendly either. Seems jealous of each other since the old cat died. Tiger seems to keep things together. We are hoping to add another cat, as we really miss having three cats. However, the vets all say no, that we will create problems. One of the cats has been leaving us presents on the carpet, when we raise our voice to him, or don't feed him fast enough, or don't give him attention, since the oldest cat died.
We really can't handle any more carpet mistakes and cleaning up after him has become a problem and it is expensive. Under the circumstances we are old not to add a cat. Anyone any idea how to get another cat, without upsetting the two we have already.
Would love to hear from people with more than two cats and no major problems. The cat that is being a pain was grew up with the cat who died, and when he was two years old we got the third cat who was also two years old. They are both males cats, as was Tiger who died. Thanks Helen
Old 06-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

At one time I had the bright idea to breed persian cats.....so I had 3 of em. They got along pretty well, although they just mostly left each other alone. They were 2 females and 1 male so I dunno if that made a difference or not. It was funny cuz when we had a litter of kittens the mama cat would get out of the box and one of the other 2 would get in there and sleep with the babies.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Introducing a New Cat

Having had more than our share of cats, along with an inability to resist any strays that come our way (the local shelter will only hold an animal for a few weeks before euthanizing, so when we cannot find a home for a cat, it stays.) At one time we had as many as 18 cats so introducing a new cat to the general population has become something of a science. As a general rule, kittens are more acceptable than adults and females are easier to introduce than males. Interestingly enough, the males in the house have a definate "pecking order" while the the females seem to have their own. If the new cat is male, the males will pay more attention than the females while if the new cat is female the reverse is true. There are certain exceptions of course. One of our older male cats HATES anything new and especially new cats. Upon introduction of a new cat, or even an old cat returning from the vet, he will be grumpy and agitated for at least a week. Having all of the cats, old and new, spayed or nuetered helps both with the fighting and the "accidents." No matter how careful you are, however, there will be some confrontations as the new pecking order is established. That being said, our procedure of introduction has become second nature.
The new cat is placed in a room temporarily isolated from the other cats. We usually use our bathroom. This gives the new cat a sense of having a space of their own while acclimatizing them to the household. The new and old cats will usually stand at the door "sniffing out" the competition. If the new cat is prone to "accidents" the bathroom is also easier to clean. Also, if the new cat has any problems, (fleas, disease, injury) this can be determined and evaluated by a vetrinarian prior to exposing the older cats. After a few days, the calmer older cats of the opposite sex are introduced in short, supervised sessions. Mild disagreements are not interupted, major fights are rewarded with a glass of water on their heads to stop the hostilities. (did I mention the bathroom is easier to clean?) Slowly the introduction sessions are allowed to be extended until everyone has adjusted to each other. Unfortunately there will most likely be fights, espescially at the beginning until the "top cat" has been decided amongst themselves. You do need to let some of the fighting happen so this will take place. Obviously stop them whenever there might be severe injury. Some hair will fly, hissing and growling will take place,but usually after the pecking order is established, then youwill have mostly peace. As long as your cats have plenty of space to choose their own "territory" within your house. Depending on the personality of all the cats involved only time will tell how long it takes to acclimate a new cat into the house. There still may be small fights from time to time, but usually not as severe as in the beginning. The main thing is do it gradually and supervise. Good Luck. Cats can be a great joy. We love each and every one of ours and they live mostly in peace.
Old 06-08-2002, 12:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

another note about cats

Your cat that died was probably the "top cat" which is why your other cats are not getting along. Now they have to re-establish who is the new "top cat". Good Luck
Old 06-08-2002, 04:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

new cat addition

I fear your vet may be right, though I totally sympathize, as I am also a big cat lover

If you do decide to add a new cat to your brood, seperate her or him from the others for a while (at least a week), then bring the other cats into the room to meet your new addition and stay to supervise. Keep the visit short and sweet and then lenghten them until you feel fairly confident they will all get along at least reasonably well. That is what I did when I brought home a new cat. It has worked out fairly well for me.

I wish you well.
Old 06-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Helen,
My advice to you is to either get a kitten or an older cat from an animal shelter. Whatever you get, I have heard that a dirty litter box helps the cat/kitten feel more at home. It also helps if you lavish on attention or play with the new kitty so that it does not feel rejected by the other 2 cats before they adjust to the "newbie". I hope this info helps. ;-)
Old 06-08-2002, 07:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Adding a new cat

Do not forget to lavish attention on your other two cats also. Otherwise they will become more jealous and want to beat up the "newbie".

Mother of 2 kids and 16 cats
Old 06-12-2002, 02:04 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just received this in my inbox by chance I have to include the resource box of the author at the end, in case you are wondering what it is, it's not an ad LOL

INTRODUCING A NEW CAT TO YOUR HOUSEHOLD
by Rose Smith, copyright 2002

When you bring a new cat into the household that already
has existing cats, there needs to be an adjustment period.
Do not expect the cats to get along right away.

To make the introduction, put the new cat in a room by
itself with food, water, litter box and some toys for a
day or two (sometimes longer). This gives the established
cat(s) time to learn the smells and vocalizations of the
new member. Bring the new cat out occasionally during
the day for short periods of time and allow the existing
cat(s) to see and possibly sniff the new cat.

It will take time for adjustments to take place so expect to
hear a lot of hissing and growling between the cats, with a few
swats here and there . This is normal. It will take the cats
several days to a few weeks to get to know each other
and establish "household rules". Unless things get completely
out of control between the cats, allow them to set their own
ground rules. Keep your eye on them so no serious injuries
occur. After 2 to 3 days, you can probably allow the new cat
to begin roaming the house on its own. Again, expect some
"fur to fly" on occasion and unless it's very serious, don't
intervene. Most cats will eventually adjust to the new family
member if given time and not crowded.

**************Resource Box******************
GoofusRoofus.com is a fun and humorous site for
dog and cat lovers, both young and old. Featuring
jokes, posters, puzzles, books, videos, fun facts,
informative articles, animal board games, computer
games and much more. Be sure to visit us today!
http://www.goofusroofus.com

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-12-2002, 07:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle Adding a New Cat to the Family.

Regarding the article that was just posted - I think I said those things already.

Amy
Mom to 2 children and 16 cats