Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How do I stop dogs from marking things?

I am home from school with my 2 male chihuahuas. The older one is neutered and the baby isn't. However, I have caught my older one marking the furniture!!! I don't know how to get him to stop. It is possible the other one is marking as well and I will now keep my eyes opened to try to catch them. Any ideas?

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb How do I stop dogs from marking things?

You could try spraying where the dog is marking with vinegar. Just put it in a spray bottle and saturate the area. Dogs and cats don't like the smell. You will only smell it for a little while. We used this on our cats when they were scratching our furniture and it worked wonders.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Angry Dog markings

I wish you luck on your doggie urine. I guess I will have to spray whole house or at least everything that is plastic. I have a yorki poo that is fixed & he likes to pee on plastic items. I let him out alot & he still marks or "poo's in the house!
Old 06-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks. I only have 3 places to clean. The Vet said that until we get the youngest neutered, they will mark. Even after I get Bonte neutered, they will mark the areas that I have cleaned. So, I plan on spraying a neutralizer on the places that they have marked. The weird thing is that it is mainly the older, neutered male that is doing it! I can clean it up, but I just can't seem to stop him from doing it in the first place. The only thing that I know to do is to close off the house except the room we are in and stop him when I catch him in the act.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I hope the neutering works. My newest male got fixed & he is the one that started this cycle for the other male, which is a lab mix that I got full grown from the shelter. I call my Yorkiepoo my DEVILDOG! lol I did not crate train cuz I never had probs with my other dogs. Also all of my dogs sleep with me they have me very well trained. We also did part of an obedience training class unfortunately my work schedule didnt work out so I could finish. I am now a full time stay at home mom.

My daughter just got a female chihuahua today only 1 lb. This dog is staying at boyfriends. Any advice on this breed???
Old 06-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Chihuahuas will attack anything that they feel is a threat, even it is 10 feet tall! You have to protect them from that. They are companion dogs, so they love for you to play with them and pay attention to them. One then that we do and have read experts suggesst is to give them their own blankies and toys. Each of my boys have thier own blanky to snuggle with as well as a basket of toys.

If you are firm, you can break her of the yapping over every little thing. My dogs now only yap when someone comes to the door or if they see someone at my house that isn't supposed to be there. Oh yeah, one more thing. Chihuahuas are NOT good pets for small children. They can't handle the energy of the children.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the info. The toys are the one thing they forgot at petstore. Her boyfriend does have a 4 yr old son that will be visiting this weekend. I did know this breed is not for kids but sometimes a mom has to keep her mouth shut.......! I just hope it doesnt end up at my house cuz my Yorkiepoo isthe alpha male at my house & he is very territorial over me. It is so funny to see him keep the lab away from getting his love & attention.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:06 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

No problem. My mother owned one when I was little and she was terrible with us children. Before I got my chihuahuas, I read up on them and then got mine from a breeder. They are terrific for people who have no children and love to play with their dogs. My oldest died in October and he was the Alpha male and very possessive over me. Now that he has passed, the older have become very territorial.

Good luck with the new guy in the bunch!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Help! Dd got a chihuahuas given to her from a friend who is having to cut back on her dogs.She has the mother of this one& is very careful with her dogs health.Snickers is used to being arround other dogs of his breed but we're not sure how he & our big dog will get along.He is not inside potty train but can be kept outside when the weather permits.We have never had a inside dog so this is all new to me.He's not sure about the cats nor are they of him so that will be fun to see how that turns out as the cats come in to eat but stay outside for most of the time.Any advice will help.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

sweetnell crate train him that is my best advice when you are not home or at night put him in a dog crate my dogs love there little homes