Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Homemade dog food

Most people know how much I LOVE my boys. I lost one last fall and I sure hope it wasn't due to the food recall. I have decided to play around with some recipes and make my own dog food. Has anyone else ever made their own dog food?

The rule as I understand it, is 40% meat, 30% vegetables, and 30% starch. The best starches for dogs are brown rice, potatoes, and oatmeal. Tiny amounts of COOKED garlic are okay for repel fleas, but NEVER give a dog raw garlic as it is poisonous. I will post my recipes as soon as I make something successful.

Last edited by DeBora4BobbyL; 05-21-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I made the dog food today and my picky chihuahuas ate it like they haven't eaten in days! They absolutely loved it! I will talk to the Vet soon to ask his opinion about what he thinks.

Here is my recipe:
1 1/2 cups brown rice
1/4 teaspoon or a tad more of COOKED garlic (I cooked it with the rice)
1 jar baby food carrots
1 jar baby food green beans
2 1/2 cups finely diced boiled chicken
2 boiled eggs, finely diced as you would for egg salad
the egg shells from the boiled eggs, finely pulsed into powder for minerals

Mix all incredients together. This will only keep for 3 days and no longer!
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Nine Year Member

Gee, I just posted an idea for dog food over on Friendship Flower and then saw this new thread, great idea DeBora!

I have a cookbook from the 1950s that has the nutrient breakdown for food stuffs so I will look at it and see what I can make for my pup with the bladder stones. Her new food is expensive and maybe I can come up with a good alternative.

It's a special diet that has some minerals and not others in it. DH knows the ones.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I also read where organ meats are good for dogs. So, the next experiment will be with livers, hearts, and such.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:31 PM
Assistant Moderator

Thanks for starting this thread, DeBora. Currently I only feed my dog dry food (Iams) which is expensive. I was so glad I hadn't started canned food once the recall started. I will probably still feed Jack the Iams but will supplement it with the homemade food. I am going to try to see if I can get the recipe my mom's friend uses for her retriever. If she can get it I will post that one here too. My mother in laws dog (a german shepard) is on some very expensive dog food due to crystals in her urine. i am wondering if homemade dog food would help her too.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I will have to ask the Vet if there are any recipe books for dogs, especially those on special diets. I had to make some of Jet-Bo's a couple of times when we ran out of the kidney diet food during the weekend and I needed to make it through one day before the Vet opened.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

The Vet told me the Science Diet is one of the few dog foods on the market that hasn't caused problems for dogs. However, I told him that my dogs were finicky eaters, as are most chihuahuas. He gave me several diets for dogs and for cats. He recommended the following for mine, if they have no health issues.

Canine Restricted Protein Diet

1/4 pound beef (do not use lean round chuck)
2 cups cooked white rice without salt
1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
3 slices white bread, crumbled
1 teaspoon calcium carbonate (you can use ground egg shells or purchase this from the health food store)

Cook beef in skillet until lightly browned. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield 1 1/2 pounds.

I will probably substitute chicken gizzards for the beef though or alternate meats depending on their tastebuds. You can use the other recipe if your dogs have healthy kidneys. You should supplement with a canine multivitamin, which I am.

I also have diets for ultra low protein diets for kidney failure, higly digestible diet, reducing diet, hypoallergenic diet, and liquid diet if anyone is interested.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 AM

We have been feeding our dogs "people" food since I heard the latest that "bone meal" consist of not only icky stuff but euthanized dogs and cats as well. I was shocked to the core when I read that and threw out a brand new bag of Pedigree dry food and Alpo's dog biscuits.

My Vets ( we have two) said:

Chicken Breast only (boiled)
lots of veggies except onions and tomatoes ( we are using frozen veggies: cauliflower, carrots, green beans, brocolli, peas,) I buy these in bulk at Gordon Food Service Sams would be a good alternative if you dont have GFS. I boil the veggies and pulverize in a food processor. We also add whole grain brown rice, they also said you can use Whole Grain Cereal). Mix all together and put in a bowl with a lid. I heat and serve two times a day.

I now make my own dog biscuits using brown flour, white flour, Bulgar Cracked Wheat, Dry Milk Powder, the broth off the chicken I boil and crushed spearmint leafs ( approved by the vet, don't use other herbs without checking with the Vet first). I roll out and cut into dog biscuit shapes with a cookie cutter.. we are selling ours at our store but for your own and to make it easier, just roll and slice with a pizza wheel. Dogs don't care what shape it is as long as it's good. We've been testing this recipe with our dogs, neighbors dogs and a friend who has a finicky eater dog. You may find this recipe although I've changed mine a bit on Allrecipes.com

Anna
Old 05-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

OSI, I will have to try the homemade dog biscuits before school starts again. My dogs love the homemade dog food that I have been making them. I am going to have to buy my protein sources and starches in bulk if I am going to continue making the dog food. They really believe that I am serving them people food when I give them the homemade dog food. I have noticed a change in their bowel movements though as would be expected on a change in dog food.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:18 AM

Yep I've noticed that too.

I did forget to mention the Vet said it would probably be a good idea to get a vitamin supplement too. I haven't done that yet.

The recipe I got for the biscuits had garlic and brewers yeast in the ingredients but there was some contraversy in the nutrient book the health food store had on the yeast so I decided to leave it out. It keeps fleas away as does the garlic.

Anna