Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Do you have a favorite breed of cat

Do you have a favorite breed of cat? Or are you one who just falls in love with every kitten you see? We have 3 cats all different. Tiger is a long haired tabby, Snuggles is a short haired tabby and Chewy is a tortoise shell calico. My kids picked Tiger and Chewy and Snuggles was adopted from friends. I love them all but if I had been picking I would have all long haired calicos. I just love the way they look.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 04-28-2007, 12:28 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

My favorite breed of cat is Siamese. Flame Point to be exact. But Rusty adopted me, he is a plain old orange cat.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am one of those people who falls in love with every cat she meets. I have 3 cats - Melanie is a black and white short haired cat, Lexus is a long haired all-black cat (but has tufts of white coming out between her toes) and "Pumpkin" is another short haired black and white cat who rather adopted us. He comes and goes as he pleases but all winter made sure he was inside at night and out of the cold. He got named pumpkin as he was just "a little pumpkin' when he started showing up here. I think my favorite cats are siamese and ragdoll but I also love tortoise shell colored cats. Both Melanie and Lexus were given to me at different times by people who no longer wanted them. Pumpkin adopted us. I have not picked out a cat or kitten on my own in a long long time!

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I love all types of cats and didn't really have a favorite until my dau had to give up her cat and I got it....he is a mane-coon...he weighs 27 lbs and not really a fat cat just big but he is the biggest baby...so loveable. He is 6 yrs old and I have had him for 3 yrs. He is truely amazing...he lays down and sits when I tell him. He comes when I call and he will ONLY go outside when I am out....does not wonder off....stays right by me. If I am not in his site....he goes to the door to be let in.....I just love my cat!
Old 04-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

myan we wonder if your long hair tabby might actually be a mane-coon. He has the hair between his toes and long hair out of his ears and some people have asked us if he is that breed. I had never heard of it before. He to is a big baby and follows us everywhere around the house and will act like he is talking to us all the time. He will usually sleep on our bed and loves to lay right on top of one of us. I lovemy kitties.

Coll I had a siamese cat growing up....I called her mittens and I loved her. When i would get up in the morning and would walk down the hall in my nightie she would come running and climb up the inside of my nightie to see me!!! LOL Quite the charachter.

Hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 04-28-2007, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I Love My Cats, too.

I have two cats. One is a diluted calico that I got from a shelter, and her name is Kali. This poor thing was nothing but bag of bones in a fur coat, and about three months old. There just was something about her that I wanted. When bringing her home I noticed she did a lot of sneezing, and found out it was
"kennel cough", something common in animals at shelters.
Many $$$ later I learned how much vets cost, but took her when necessary, because I wanted her. Today she is healthy, and is the sweetest cat. She almost talks, and is very loving.

Two years ago my neighbor came into my yard, carrying three tiny baby kittens, and asked if I would like one, or more. I picked a long-haired black one with blue eyes. The vet told me he didn't think Sambo was more than four weeks old, so, more $$$ went for him. He weighed only one lb., and one ounce. Today he must weigh about 13-14 lbs. He has the look of a Persian, with shades of grey between his toes, and a lttle of the same in the fur around his under belly. His eyes now are yellow. He has a different personality than the other cat. He won't let me hold him, but does favor me when it's time to eat. After that he wants no more of me! LOL! He does go to my DH, and climb up on his lap for a nap at times, though. From day one Kali has not taken to him, but hisses at him when he tries to get friendly.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you cry alone.

Last edited by Blondie; 04-28-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:06 PM
FamilyCorner Addict

My cat Rusty is very intune with me. When he knows I am out of bed he will sit outside my bedroom door and wait for me.
At night if he is curled up on my lap, when I turn the tv off, he jumps down, follows me to the bathroom then to my bedroom door, but he will not go in.
The day my mom passed away, the phone rang, he came to the bedroom door, he must have sensed something in my voice because he started to cry for me to let him in, something he never does.
If I go outside and leave the door open he will sit at the door and cry until I come back in.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Our current cats are (neutered) alley-cat rescues. Effie, the oldest at 14, is a non-descript gray tabbie. She has a really thick undercoat that she is constantly shedding - loses it in tufts that give her a "moth-eaten" appearance. She likes to go to sleep on my chest at night - preferably with her face right up against my chin - purring loudly.

Magnus is a big ol' sweetheart. He is black, weighs about 20#, and has white "pits and pubes" - if you pick him up by his front legs, he looks like he has a bikini bottom and unshaved white pits! He is a real baby - loves to lie next to me in my recliner when I have my laptop in my lap. He lays his head on the corner of the computer, and goes to sleep and twitches his tail in his sleep. He follows me around the house "talking" to me. His profile is like Mustafa's in Lion King - kind of a snubby nose.

Kathena is the youngest, at 11. She is a torti-tabby and has an attitude. She holds a grudge longer and harder than any cat I have ever had (and I must have had over 200 over the years). Last time I took her to the vet, she refused to snuggle up or sit in my lap for 6 months! LOL!

If I have the opportunity to purchase a purebred cat, there are several breeds I'd consider - Bengal, Burmese, Abyssinian, Egyptian Mau, or Ocicat. All are intelligent, affectionate, playful, and relatively independent.

But I'll probably always end up with "Heinz 59" kitties - and I love them very much!!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
~*~ Never try to outstubborn a cat. ~*~
~*~ Lazarus Long (Robert Anson Heinlein) ~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
Old 04-30-2007, 05:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just love kitties! Here is a pic of Baxter & Beanie (taken from my cell phone camera)

We found Bean (a cream colored tabby) as a very small kitten abandoned in a Target parking lot. He was very fiesty from the moment we brought him home! He quickly became a "momma's baby" and claimed me as "his". We lost him in February to cancer, and I will always miss him~~just like all of my other furry babies.

Baxter is my maine coon. We didn't know that was his breed until a few years ago when we almost lost him to a bad disease and the specialty vet told us that was what his breed is. (Many of you here on FC prayed for him and helped him recover, bless your hearts) He is soooo playful! He runs around like a bouncy skunk with a magnificent plume tail!! He has the big fur between his toes, and his tail is so thick, and he talks all the time! Trust me, he is not at all spoiled! Yeah right! That is what I do to all my babies!! Every morning, he 'buts' his head against my face to wake me up! I love it!!

Hopefully the pics I am trying to post will show up!!
Attached Images

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Debbie F beautiful cats...yours looks so much like mine! Tiger has the biggest bushiest tail to and he likes to walk by you and swish it in front of your face!! LOL

Here are 2 of my babies...Tiger and chewy they love to snuggle

Hugs Debbie
Attached Images

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson