Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-04-2002, 01:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Question Barking Dog

I really need some help on this matter. I have a dog that barks all the time while outside! I am out there too, so he is not alone, but he still barks! It is driving me nuts!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for this problem?

janet ;-)
Old 06-04-2002, 05:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

there is a device that is about the size of a garage opener that when the dog barks it puts out a whistle. My neighbors keep theirs on their back door and the only time that he really barks now is when the fire siren goes off everyday at noon.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

chuckle Barking Dog

Thank you Regina!

I am going to pick one of those devices up!

You have saved my summer

My neighbors will be happy too!

Old 06-05-2002, 04:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

;-) ;-) Good luck. I have seen them at Farm n Fleet or the building supply stores.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:35 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wish our neighbors had one.....

We can barely go outback cuz of that huge, mean, barking dog. He even almost bit my dh one time in our own front yard when the neighbor pulled up and the dog jumped out and came to our yard. He is soooooo territorial. Good luck with the device. Wish I could figure out how to get one on the neighbors dog !
Old 06-05-2002, 06:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too have the same problem with a barking puppy. What is this device? I have tried a barking collar - the kind that sends low to high volt shocks and also high pitched tone. He barks through them. Is that what the device you are talking about?

We have tried ignoring him/time outs, telling him to hush and giving him a treat (suggested by the Pet Store :mad: DON'T USE THIS METHOD!), using a squirt bottle or clapping our hands to startle him. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-05-2002, 04:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

this device that the neighbors have can be put on the dogs collar also but they just hang it on their back door. It sends out a high pitch and he stops. You could try hanging it on your fence between the yards and maybe that would stop the dog. LOL....
Old 06-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Barking Dogs

We are in the process of trying the device mentioned and so far it is not working very successfully. We have nine dogs so we are having to try this since I can't be everywhere at once. Some of the dogs are paying attention, but the worst one just igonores it. However when we had fewer dogs we used a soda can filled with small pebbles or change. You shake it at the dog and it gives amazing results. Also helpful for housebreaking, chewing, etc. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Janet...

You really need to get in touch with a postive & negative reinforcement trainer.......not a cookie trainer, and not one that deals solely in positive reinforcement... Look in your yellow pages...... I could do it, but I can't teach you to do it without you seeing how it's done.... and if you have no experience, it's best left to an experienced dog trainer....that's the best advice i can give you......And...obedience training will solve a LOT of problems...... *s*

Jeannie
Old 06-07-2002, 03:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Barking dog

I work at a pet store retail chain and we sell no bark remedies, including spray colars and one that sends a mild vibration through the colar to deter the dog from barking. Also look online or ask your vet. I wish you well.