Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-10-2002, 06:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I tend to agree with the behavioral approach. With our dog (not a really big barker anyway-sorry) we trained her early to stop barking when we said hush by putting our hand around her muzzle so that our fingers were under her mouth. We looked her in the eye, said "hush", and occasionally pushed up with our fingers. We had to consistently do this for awhile- everytime she barked unnecessarily- but the payoff is that when we tell her to hush she does. Now if we could only get her to stop stealing food.....she had a whole canteloupe last night, rind and all. All that was left was a few seeds...but that's another thread!

Old 06-11-2002, 05:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Barking Dog

Julie I had to laugh when I read your post. I think your method is wonderful and it did work on some dogs we have owned. I think there are a number of ways to train and they must be tailored to your dog's personality. We now have 9 dogs-2 large, 2 small and 5 toys all of whom are rescues. The toys are barkers and incite the others to riot, if you know what I mean. I posted before that we had purchased a "Barker Breaker" and though it did have some effect, the worst barker just ignored it completely and soon the other followed suit. The only one who seemed to pay close attention was one of our parrots who now makes the "irritating noise" whenever the dogs bark! They just ignore him, too. LOL We are now going back to a soda can (or any metal box) and filling it with stones or change. We will place a number of them around the house since we will need a number of them with so many dogs to "catch" in the act. This is one of the most effective training methods I have found for this kind of behavior with most any dog. You choose a command, we use "no barking" and then rattle the can. Instant quiet! Guess I was just getting lazy and wanted a "quick fix", but with so many dogs it just didn't work. There are a HUGE number of books and on-line sites to help with dog training and many of them are very good. Try different methods if the one your using doesn't work. Just remember to give it a real chance and be consistant. A trainer is an excellent idea if you can afford one, my experience is they train the owner as much (if not more sometimes) as the dog. LOL But, if you can't afford a trainer, with us all of our funds go to good food and vet bills, there is lots and lots of free help available. You just have to be willing to do the work. The stealing is what made me laugh so hard. With our rescued dogs, they are usually so abused that when they feel confident enough to practice "real" dog behavior and steal some food we get so excited! Of course we have to train them not to do it, but it is cause for joy around here. LOL If you want to talk privately, send me an email and I will share the methods we use. Sharon
Old 06-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Barking Dog problem better!

Thanks to all who helped me with the barking dog problem! I wanted everyone to know that the fellow is actually better after one week! I put him on a trolley outside while I am working in the garden, when he continually barked, I moved him farther away from me! When he found this out he learned real quick. Next was to tackle, the barking when visitors come...he would never settle down and be quiet...I would remove him and put him in the bedroom again away from everyone...he hated that, I let him out and he behaved! No barking!!! This is working for me.

Summer is looking fine for me and my border-collie mix!