Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-11-2002, 08:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Weird cat foods

The cat I have now isn't too strange - the usual meat & dairy stuff (tuna, milk, ice cream, chicken, cheese, cottage cheese, beef, etc.) from the table is his preferred dietary "supplement." His regular food is Science Diet Feline Dental formula, which he also eats with no problem.

When I was growing up, though, I had a cat that must have envied the garbage disposal - he'd eat just about anything you'd send his way (or anything he could get hold of when you weren't around). A few of his favorites:

pizza (any kind would do, but mushroom was his preference)
dinner rolls (from the package - through a hole in the plastic wrap)
potato chips
peanut butter & jelly sandwiches (wheat bread, please)
creamed peas (ate the cream sauce first, then the peas)
dates (he'd cry & beg for those as Dad chopped them for Christmas baking - usually the only time we had them around)

Guess none of the stuff really hurt him - he lived to be almost 18 years old!

A little "doggie" side note, too - my grandparents had a white German shepherd who would eat absolutely ANYTHING that came his way on a dinner plate ... with the exception of peas. Now if they were CREAMED peas, he'd lick all the cream from around them but leave the peas on the plate. We watched him do that for years, and never did figure out how that big ol' shepherd tongue could lick AROUND something as small as a pea!
Old 06-11-2002, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hmmm....
Meeko likes croissants, doughnuts, and ice cream.........Merlin will eat anything, and has been known to steal food off of the kitchen counter. Last conquest snagged him a t-bone steak...and a scolding! Kali wants what i'm eating @ the moment,..but hounds us for the fish food!

Old 06-11-2002, 01:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have 2 adorable cats, and one sheltie. It is my baby cat, Baxter (4 years old) who is the one that eats some weird things! He has a fixation on blue frosting. We had a birthday party for a friend's toddler, and we had a huge double sheet cake. The party was a swim party, and was pretty much held outside. But, we left the cake inside so the icing wouldn't melt. I was sooo embarrassed when my friend went in to get a glass, and discovered Baxter chowing down on the Blue's Clues icing!!! She startled him, and he ran right thru the middle of this huge cake tracking blue frosting all thru my house! I was worried how she would handle this, but she was horrified about my white carpet. But, we couldn't help but laugh cause neither one of us would have dreamed a cat would like frosting! (We cut the middle out of the cake, and there was no damage to the carpet whatsoever.) To this day, if the icing has blue in it, Baxter goes for it!! He also likes cooked broccoli!
Old 06-11-2002, 02:12 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Debbie F--that is one of the funniest stories I've heard in a while! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-11-2002, 07:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mitzi

Mitzi is my 20 year old miracle cat. Raised with my daughter from birth. The two were & are best buddies always sharing a meal together. Well a few years ago my daughter then 14, came down with the chicken pox....the poor kid was covered from top to bottom. Every time my daughter would scratch, the cat would scratch.....this went on back and forth. Well one morning as I went in to check on my daughter, there they were; my daughter and Mitzi having breakfast/party in bed together. Breakfast consisted of pound cake, dorrito's nacho chips and a jug of iced tea. (Mitzi also had a sweet tooth for cheese doodles) Just as we would put our hand in the bag to retrieve a chip, so would Mitzi. She would stretch her paw all the way deep into the bag of chips even to where her head was well in the bag. The pound cake was diced into cubes that she whisked up with her paws and when she was done having her breakfast would then dip her paw into "HER" cup and drink her tea from her paw. To this day she still choses to drink from her paw and at the sound of a bag a chip opening, seems to add life to her 9 lives and though she can no longer get around very well, it still does not stop her from enjoying a snack with you when she can. I have a picture of her in action somewhere amongst my many photos , would be great to add to this post....Maybe I wil get Lucky and find it
Old 06-12-2002, 11:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Weird Cat Food

Hi!
I once had a cat named Leroy and he used to love to eat sunflower seeds, shell and all. My dad and him were both huge sunflower seed eaters and would sit together and chew. Only, Leroy wouldn't spit the shells out.

The cat I have now is called Mew-two (unfortunately named by my boys during the Pokemon craze). He is a beautiful white persian with extremely finikey taste except when it comes to "Hotrods" (Spicy pepperoni sticks). Unfortunately he has a "delicate" bowel so this food is strictly "verbotten". Believe me, we can tell my my son has been sneaking him the forbidden food. He also goes crazy licking my husband's head. Mew-two has this blissful look and we don't know if it is the grooming he enjoys, or the salty sweat? My husband does not like cats, but actually tolerates this. I guess he doesn't want to offend kitty. Mewtwo does not lick anyone elses head.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:11 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hello everyone. I've been browsing the forum for some time, but this is my first time posting. Just wanted to say hi.

I had a cat that loved potato, cucumber and apple skins, and strawberries. She also would swim in an old boat we had, when it filled with water.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Dear Caroline,
We have a cat that does the exact same thing with bird feeders.
Her name is Darling. She uses the traditional sit- and - wait method. What she does is sit and hide at the side of the tree,
wait for a small bird to stop at the feeder, and attempt to grab the bird. She is not always successful, however due to the fact that, even though it is a fact of life, I do not like to see a helpless bird get killed and eaten. :mad:
Have a great summer!!!
Old 06-15-2002, 07:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Crazy Kitty Cravings

When I was growing up, I had a cat that would KILL for a Hersey Kiss--I know, I know---cats and dogs arn't suppose to eat chocolate but this cat would attack you if you ate a kiss and didn't share with her. She could hear that tiny wrapper being undone from any room in the house and she'd come flying, meowing and rubbing all over you until you gave in. I even had her try to stick her head in my mouth after one!! .

I love cats but my hubby is VERY allergic to them-so no kittys for me!

WE also had a dog the would go nuts over-of all things-green peppers!!

United we stand
Old 06-15-2002, 05:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Mew-two update

Well, I have another item on the menu of our "finky" white persian, Mew-two. I found this one out this afternoon while doing yard work. It seems he loves the crunchy goodness of crickets. He likes to stalk and chomp the little critters. Yik. Now he'll want to give me a kiss.