Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We get a lot of purple finches here as well. They are pretty little things. They are a bird that I had never seen when we lived in northern New Jersey but here, we have quite a few of them.

I couldn't get my usual kind of birdseed at the store this week so I had to buy something different. I wonder what the birds will think of it. Guess I'll find out later when I refill the feeder!
Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow, Ellen, I have never seen parrots in the wild. That is so awesome. I am glad to know that even if they were someone's escaped pets that they can still survive. I know what you mean about seasonal migrations. One year when I was younger and still lived in Maine, a huge flock of scarlet tanagers got blown off course by a bad storm. They are not native to Maine and were so exhausted by their flight that you could walk right up to them and pick one up. Many died but some survived to get back on course. I keep food in my feeders year round but here in NH they often tell you not to do that as it can attract bears etc. I think my neighborhood is residential enough so I don't think I need to worry about that.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I live in Texas and we always put up our feeder even in the summer because we love looking at them. In summer we get the golden finches a lot. My grandchildren were highly entertained by the birds. I gave them my old feeder for their yard. I put out suet and the woodpeckers love it. I ran out and put out peanut Butter and they went crazy for it. The squirrels don't seem to bother us too much as the feeder is close to the house and we have a cat and 2 dogs. Cat doesn't seem to care to much for the birds. WHat fun it is to watch for the different birds.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Nine Year Member

bacraig, I was raised in Houston. Not a native either, but as you say....

Ellen, that book sounds like something I should read. I find myself really rooting for the little parrots. I figure the other birds were born in the wild and have an advantage over them. They are coming around more often though, and are getting vocal. This morning there were NO birds to be seen for quite awhile. When I took a good look, the hawk was in the yard, instead of his usual perch on the fence. Our yard is varicolored rock, and he blended in very well. I never see him get any birds, but he obviously isn't starving. So I guess he's eating somewhere. This is terrible! I want him to thrive, but I want our other visitors to thrive also. Well, I don't think I'd mind if he helped himself to the pigeons, but not in our yard!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well, I'm not sure if the birds like this new food but Mr. Squirrel sure does. He has jumped on the feeder so much that about 1/2 of it is spilled on the ground I hope the mourning doves show up soon and clean up the mess.

Ellen, what kinds of different bird feed do you put out? You mentioned "seasonal feeds."
Old 02-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Barbszy, I feed birds till Spring..then I have to quit for the Bears will come and destroy the feeders...nothing like waking up with a bear shaking the side of your house ..

Janet
Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Nine Year Member

Yikes, a bear shaking the house!

I use more fruity things to attract the orioles that like to nest in our willows. I put up hummingbird juice by May 1st, their usual arrival date. I put out a greater variety of seed other than the cracked corn and sunflower mix. I might get some extra millet to bring in some of the smaller birds. I should look up nesting seasons for the finches etc to see when and what they like. We get finches too during the winter. Sometimes we get the suet with the insects in it...we don't have a purple martin house but it would be fun to try.

Mostly I try to plant a large variety of bird and butterfly plants around the house. Ones that will be useful in all seasons. Flying overhead then they can spot them and maybe they get drawn in more?

We get hawks too. I think it is not so bad as they get the weaker of the flocks and that eventually makes the flock stronger (survival of the fittest). We have pictures of a sharp-shinned hawk but mostly we get Cooper's hawks.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Last edited by ellenmelon; 02-24-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I love feeding the birds and yes the squirrels too. I bougt a black sunflower "bell" and peanut suet block yesterday only paid $2 something for both as got my g-sons discount he works for Tru-Value.

I have a lot o chicadees, cardinals, morning doves among others
Old 02-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Oh Patti, I haven't seen a cardinal for years...can you send one up to my feeder? lol

Here is a picture of burrowing owls that visit in my sister's yard. She calls them her neighbors! hee hee

Hugs, Janet

Last edited by janet; 06-05-2007 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Janet if I could catch a pair would air express them to you but needless to say can not. happy watching