Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question horse hives?????

I have a question or a problem. Not sure if anyone out there can't help but I figured it was worth a shot. I have a filly who since Feb has been breaking out in some kind of hives, that itch terribly. Only on her neck, chest and the front of her basically. I have tried everything to get rid of them, nothing has worked. And I have no idea what is even causing them. At first I thought a fungus but they don't act like one. Bug bites ????? but why only on her front. Allergies is what I am down too and to what I have no idea. Last nite I gave up and slathered her in Benadryl cream lol. But that is going to be way to costly to do all the time. Any ideas would be great I am really stumped on this one. Thanks
Old 07-08-2002, 12:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Lightbulb tea tree oil

hi. stopped by to suggest TEA TREE OIL.
it costs approx. $5 a bottle at wal-mart.
rub it on straight or dilute with a little olive oil.
it is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and safe.
it works great on my 3 yr old excema!!!!!
and great on cats and dogs skin irritations and cuts.
check w/ vet if concerned if safe for horses.
it probably is though.
good luck-hope your dear horse gets feeling better.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 07-08-2002, 08:33 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Horse lover!

Hello I was just browsing the internet and saw your question in the newsletter. I use to have 5 horses when i was younger about Oh! 9yrs ago before I move out my mother's house. Well anyways I thought i mention, give the horse i nice scrubing bath, then take this stuff or find something like it Skin so soft from AVOn, it does not cause rashes or anything, this will kill whatever eaten the horse. The rash may be a break out to whatever is eaten the horse, so i do hope this helps. Horseflies, and many other bugs can cause a horse to breal out, so try to get rid of the bugs a little then see if she/he will be ok. I wish you luck
Bye [email protected]
Old 07-10-2002, 01:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The most knowledgable people and site that I am aware of; www.lehmans.com
They will know the answer to your problem concerning your filly.
judy63
Old 07-12-2002, 06:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Filly w/ hives

While the suggestions made by the other members may help to TREAT your filly's condition, they won't PREVENT whatever is causing the hives, and I would focus on prevention, as well as treatment. The observation that the filly only has the rash on her front end suggests she is getting into something. If it were bugs or insects, they would attack her all over, not just on her front end. Consider the following? How does she feed? Does she graze? Are there plants in your field that could be causing the rash? Or, have you changed her feed, could she could be having an allergic reaction to something new in her diet? Did you blanket her in the cold of February? Is it possible she had a reaction to a detergent? Is there a chemical in your barnyard or stable (pesticide?) that she has been exposed to? In any case, the duration of the hives (since February) merits a visit from your vet to do an allergy check, even if it does cost a vet visit. I wouldn't wait any longer. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:37 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Exclamation

I noticed most people are suggesting "people" products, or even household products for your filly. If you value your horse, don't do it. Just call the vet.