Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

de-worming for dogs

Hi!
I’m a huge animal lover and I was wondering if anyone could help me solve
my problem…
I have a dog who’s name is Elvis and a cat who’s name is Princess!
I’ve discovered that Elvis had worms, (is it possible that he got from other pets???)
so I want to my vet and he gave him a de-worming medication in a tablet form but he wouldn’t swallow it!!
I didn’t want to use too much force so I tried wrapping it with some sausage but he some how figured it out!
please help me!!
Tami
Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

hi!

about five months ago my dog Angie suffered from worms.
my friend told me to buy a de-worming pill and mix it with some chicken but
Angie figured it out and only ate a quarter…
that happened a couple of times unlit two months ago I’ve found a solution in a form of dry food that my Angie really liked and I didn’t have to force her at all !!!
you should try it …
Tasties Worm-Out (link removed by Administrator due to spamming all over the internet)
Old 09-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am giving my dog medication right now and have been for the past month for pneumonia and I take some of pet food [it's the one I use for his pills not his regular kind] and squish it around the pill. [it's like gainsburgers] I have also stuck it in the middle of a dog treat. He hasn't given me any problems.

Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My dog Sam was smart at discovering hidden pills too. The one trick I used that worked was to take one of the small milkbone dog biscuits and stick the pill to the bone with peanut butter. He could not scrape the peanut butter off so swallowed the pill. It worked great.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pilling Dogs

If you cannot just pill the dog by placing the pill in his mouth and then using your index finger to push it down then cup the dogs mouth in your hand using your thumb on one side and then your middle, ring and pinky for the other. You can also use your other hand to "open" his mouth and poke it down.
You can also try to use meat flavored baby food that has been chilled in the frig until it's firm. You can use peanut butter or cheese as well.
Some wormers are available in liquid form.
Most tapeowrm meds are in pill form though believe.

Robin
www.crittersplace.com
Old 09-23-2006, 06:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have always had success with taking a small cube of cheese, making a slit in one side and inserting the pill into the slit. Good luck. Goatlady
Old 09-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member

I use the cheese and peanut butter methods too only the dog gets sort of gassy with them. I was delighted to see in the vet's office a product called Pill Pockets. They are like little cups, you put the pill in, squeeze the top walls shut. They smell like bacon. When I give the little dog her worm medicine, the big dog sits for a pill pocket too.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-28-2006, 08:09 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lol, I don't have a problem getting my dogs to take pills--they'll eat anything! But I would suggest simply opening the dog's mouth and pushing the pill in, then holding his mouth shut. He'll swallow pretty much automatically. Then, of course, give him a treat for sitting so calmly!!