Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:45 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

cat lover do you give your cats different brands of cat food or you stick with the same one all the time my cat act like she is getting alittle board i would like to give her a verity but dont want her to get sick

Old 09-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Head Moderator

I stay with one kind. I start them off on Purina Kitten Chow and then go to Purnia Cat chow at 6 months. I tried switching around a long time ago, but it never made any difference; we still had a cat or two that from time to time didn't seem to eat. So I stay with the above and we feed in the am and pm; they eventually eat when they get hungry! It took me awhile to agree with that method, but it works eventually,LOL Once in awhile I do give them a can of moist food mixed with the dry, but not very often.

When one is not feeling well I keep rice and chicken cooked in chicken broth frozen in snack size zip loc bags to feed a cat when needed. I just let it thaw on the counter. I buy reduced chicken legs when I see them and prepare this so I always have about 12 bags frozen.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 09-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member

I used to tie my cats with a collar & leash. I don't have doors on any of my rooms. Now they are loose all the time.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have two indoor cats. Personally, I would not kennel a cat and have also heard that they don't like their food and litter box in the same area. I would also worry that if I got delayed on my errands or something that they would be stuck in the cage and get muscle cramps.

I trained my cats not to get on the kitchen counter or table by saying a firm "no" and they obey, even when I am gone. I use a lot of throw covers on the soft furniture, so I can just toss them in the washing machine. One cat gets very active in the morning, takes a very long nap and then likes to sit on my lap when I'm watching TV in the evening. The other cat sleeps and gets up throughout the day. Most adult cats sleep most of the day and roam at night or in the early morning.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Head Moderator

When I've had to cage up one for a reason I used a large dog cage so their food and water was at one end and their litter box (a rather small one) was at the other end. It worked well when we have to cage one ,but I don't like cageing them unless necessary.

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 02-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have 2 kittens and we leave them run , the only time they are in a cage is going to the vets.I love watching them play and do funny thing.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Our old fat cat is free to roam the house. When we leave he is usually in our bed fast asleep. I don't even put him in a cage to go to the vet's.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

We had a cat years ago and he always had the run of the house...
Old 02-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We have two cats who have the run of the house. They are strictly indoor cats and the only time I contain them is if we have people coming in & out of the house who might let them out accidently & then we put them in the old bathroom.

Funny thing - occasionally our older cat, Pip sneaks out when my husband goes out. We used to get upset and go out & chase around. It turns out, the cat goes out for about 5 minutes and comes back & knocks on the door, kid you not! He pats the screen door hard to let us know he is back & wants in!

Pippe
Old 02-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

my 2 cats have free run of the house. The only time I contain them is if I have someone doing work at the house.