Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Help! We have a new family member!

We are now the proud owners of a gray and white little kitty.

He/She found my husband 2 nights ago by crawling out of our front bushes and crying for him to pick her up. My DD brought her into the house and after seeing her, of course I could not put her back out by herself. I have asked around and looked for signs but I think that someone couldn't give her/him away so they let it loose.

Anyone that knows me knows that I am a dog person but I have fallen for this little kitty!

I can use any tips on raising this little boy/girl---I dont even know if it is a boy or a girl!

For my first question, The first night she ate canned food with no problem, yesterday she at some and nibbled at the rest. Now today, she has eaten only about half of a can. Should I change her food? I would like for her to eat dry food but is it possible with kittens?

I would say she is about 6 weeks old--guess but I dont think any younger. I will post a picture of her when I can figure out why I cant get it to load onto my computer.

Can you bathe kittens? I bought some dry shampoo that is for kittens/cats and brushed some onto her but her feet are kinda dirty and she looks like she could use a bath.

She is using a litter box.

She seems to be settling in quite nicely --other than clawing at my new furniture

I have been putting her into a carrier with some baby blankets at night in my room. I know that I wont be able to sleep if she isnt contained in some way. She doesnt seem to mind the carrier. She slept through the whole night last night.

Can anyone help me with my questions?

Thanks!
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tami I have gave kittens that we have either gotten or they have adopted us the soft dry cat food or the kitten dry food. I hope this helps you some. A very young kitten if you give it a bath make sure it doesn't get chill,try to dry it off as quickly as you can.Good luck with it.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have always owned cats. As for the shampooing, remember that she cleans herself and you don't want to make her sick. I would wait until she/he gets to know you first.

As for the food, try giving her kitten chow first. Our first kitty wouldn't eat anything but Tender Vittles. The next cat wouldn't touch that stuff. The cats we have now eat dry food, which is good for the teeth, but DH feeds them a small can of food every morning for a treat. You may have to try different thing until you find what she likes as cats as finicky.

As for the clawing of the furniture, get you a spray bottle and fill it with water. When she tries to sharpen her claws on your furniture, spray her. It's a very humane way of training them. Also, if she/he ever gets hairballs from cleaning themselves, place a little bit of Vaseline on its nose. It will lick it off because it hates to be dirty. The Vaseline will help digest the hair and prevent more vomiting--if this ever even is a problem.

As for determining the sex, on cats you'll have to look very close for 2 small round things. They are sometimes difficult to find in males. However, if he has them and you don't have him fixed, he will spray your furniture with urine when he is sexually mature and there are female cats around the neighborhood. If it is a female, the worst you have to deal with when she becomes sexually mature is the intense screaming day in and day out when she is in heat. We've always had ours fixed and have only had females.

All of oure were easy to litter box train too.

I am sure others have better answers. We still have to sleep with our door closed because the youngest (2 next December) likes to knock thinks over and wakes us up. They are such night creatures. lol

Good luck Tami!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Many thanks to both of you!!

I will try the dry food recommended.

I have a clean empty spray bottle here so I will fill it up and use it.

I am going to "inspect" him/her to see what I can find!!

Right now, we (the kitty and me) are going to bed. For some reason, I'm awake tonight--which will make for a very long day tomorrow. The kitty has been asleep on the couch for almost 2 hours.

Thanks again!
Tami

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-22-2006, 05:21 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

You DO know they sleep for a few hours before bedtime so they can keep you awake, right? lol Have fun with the inspection. lol

Old 06-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I thought about that when I was going to bed but she slept until my DH got home at 7:30 this morning.

We bought some kitten chow for her. She nibbled at it but didn't eat a whole lot of it. Should I start to worry if she doesnt eat a whole lot?

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That is awsome that he/she allowed you to sleep. I wouldn't worry about the eating at this point. She'll probably catch up when she gets used to the environment and the food. Is she doesn't eat much by next week or if she seems thin or weak, then change the food. Cats can be so finicky. lol

I have to tell you about our very first, and favorite cat, Devil, named because she attacked me if I didn't drop what I was doing to feed her! lol She was the one who loved Tender Vittles. Anyway, I was pregnant with my first child. I set up the nursery. I was constantly finding her in the crib! I would swat her and kick her out of the room. She would return later and be asleep in the bed. She also slept on my lap. After Adam was born, I kept finding her asleep with my new baby in his crib! I was mortified because I was young and had heard of cats sucking the breath out of babies. (Folk tale) Anyway, until the day she died, she slept with my DS, who was a teenager. Every morning, she would come into our bedroom and sit at my DHs alarm clark, 5 minutes before it went off. On his days' off, she would do this, except his alarm didn't go off. So, she would gently use her paws to pear DHs eyes open. He would shoo her away and cover his face with the covers. She would then let out a hiss and a loud meow in anger because daddy wouldn't wake up and give her her special breakfast when she ordered it. She had such a personality. lol

Good luck with the food.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Update on our kitty.....

She seems to be settling in just fine. She has decided that she likes a mix of dry kitten food and canned food.

Overall, she is very good. She loves to play....and has found the ugly blinds on my patio doors too.

Here are a couple of pics of her:
Attached Images

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

She is so cute! Have you name her yet? Keep us updated and more photos when you can.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thanks!

My husband came up with the name Marble for her since her colors are marbled but I don't think that name fits her. BTW, I'm just about positive she is a girl. ( I never knew that it could be so hard to figure out--or maybe it's just hard for me to figure out, lol! )

I will have to take a picture of her from behind. She has a white spot where her fur grows in all directions. It is so funny looking!

I was going to name her Heinz if it was a boy--I want some kind of name from Pittsburgh. So yes, the name Heinz was for the ketchup and for Heinz Ward from our Steelers. I can't think of one girl's name that has anything to do with the Steelers or Pittsburgh, lol!

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus