Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 07-04-2006, 01:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Apricot - you are right about the tapeworm spores often showing up on the bedding and other places. They don't always, however, and round worms and hook worms usually don't show at all. Eventually the cat gets to looking "sickly" and its gums get pale. Occasionally you may see white "strings" in the cat's stools or, in a bad infestation, the cat may actually vomit worms.

Another kind of worms, heartworms, are not GI worms - the cat gets them from mosquitos. Since this was an outdoor kitty, the vet will need to check for heartworms before putting it on heartworm preventative.

I'm not enamoured of the Petsmart or Petco vet services, but they are better than nothing. Often a local animal shelter or humane association will offer free or reduced cost vet care and spay / neutering.

The "pom-poms" often won't show until the kitten is 3-4 months old. In females, the vaginal slit is very small, but is directly below the anus. But in young kittens, even vets have difficulty sexing them until they are older. It's actually easier to sex kittens at birth than when they are a week or 2 older!

While I'm a fan of dry food, some cats really don't eat it happily. Other times, cats need moist food because of the need for extra fluid (especially in the case of FLUTD). My girls eat only dry food, but Magnus, my big tom with FLUTD has to have a combination of prescription moist and prescription dry. I even add water to the moist food so it's more of a "stew" or "soup" consistency to ensure he drinks enough water. I've managed to nurse him through 3 episodes of FLUTD since I rescued him, and the family who had him before nearly let him die from FLUTD because they didn't recognize the signs. They called me and said he hadn't peed in 2 days and should they take him to the vet!! Once he was treated, they decided they didn't want a cat that needed that much care, so I took him off their hands. He's a wonderful cat - sooo affectionate, very forgiving, has a "killer" purr, and "guards" the house from squirrels and other cats. He tries to keep the girls in line, but in reality, they both boss him unmercifully.

Enjoy your baby! They grow up sooo fast!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Effie Kathina & Magnus
Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

On the scratching furniture, there are some clear plastic strips you can put on the corners where they tend to scratch. My sister did this & you don't notice them, they don't make your new couch look bad. It will make it less desirable to the cat, but won't prevent it completely. I have had cats that care nothing about store bought scratching things & don't even like cat nip! Throw a wad of foil on the floor & they would be amused. I saw this on a Vet's sign once & always think how true it is:
Cats are a puzzle with no solution.
I should make that a part of my signature.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Head Moderator

OMG! I just found this! I have 3 indoor cats that we got as kittens and now we have 6 more that are outdoor cats;they adopted us (they were strays). Mom has 4 kittens that are 4 weeks old right now (they are included in the count). I know I can't keep the kittens (my sons pet store is going to take them), but it is going to be so hard to give them away, and DH has already named one of them! They are adorable!

In addition we have four outside dogs ( two we got as pets and two adopted us ( they were strays also). Our county doesn't have any animal shelter nor anything to take care of strays so people just dump them! Evidently I'm becoming known to take them in. So at this moment I'm mom to 13 animals and that doesn't include all my chickens!

We have our own little dog/cat kennel, at least that is what it looks like. We have four kennls outside and one is a 30 x 30 area. I have a chest freezer out behind the barn that doesn't run and we use that to store the cat and dog food.

If I can be of any help let me know!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 07-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I can't thank all of you enough for the help you are giving to me. Like I mentioned at the start, I have no experience with cats, I have always had dogs. I am taking all of this in!

By the look of her when we found her, I dont think that she was outside for very long. I believe that someone in our apartment complex let her go--which breaks my heart. We had called, about a week prior to finding it, about a listing for free kittens. The lady told us that she still had a couple of kittens "until the weekend." My husband didn't ask any questions but then we found her.

We want her to be healthy and happy so she will be off to the vet as soon as I can afford it.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thumbs up Congratulations!

She is a beautiful kitten. I too am a dog person but somehow, we ended up with FIVE cats. They are all fixed, 4 are females and 1 is a male.

Definitely get her spayed as soon as you can. When our cats got in heat, it was horrible. I never heard so much caterwalling!

If you need assistance, most counties have pay and neuter assistance. 4 of our 5 were done free of charge through a local animal rescue.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:34 AM
Head Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylady

Definitely get her spayed as soon as you can. When our cats got in heat, it was horrible. I never heard so much caterwalling!

If you need assistance, most counties have pay and neuter assistance. 4 of our 5 were done free of charge through a local animal rescue.
You are lucky! Only the surounding counties have those type of programs here, ours has absolutely nothing! And of course the surrounding ones won't take us because we live in a different county! My indoors I had fixed years ago when I first got them, but all these new adopted strays aren't. So as long as the pet store can take them we are okay.

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

Old 07-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tami, congrats on your cute little kitten. I have always had dogs due to allergies but we had one adopt us several years ago. DH thought it was a she but later the vet said it was a he.

He does not like catnip or his scratching post either. He has his claws as we could not subject him to declawing. When he tried it we said NO and removed him same with cabinets and table. We also used the water bottle and only had to show it and he stopped. He very seldom claws the furniture and only gets on the table with dh in the am. He allows him to sit on the paper (Mittens likes to sit in the middle as he wants the attention), so bad dh. Mittens is funny as soon as he hears me coming he jumps to the floor. We also put clear packing tape on the couch at the spot he started to scratch and that detered him.

To check for fleas put her over a white cloth then comb. If you see black flecks then it is flea dirt.

To give our cat a bath when he covers himself with dust I just take a wet towel and rub him. I once gave my brother's kitten a bath and he scratched the heck out of me so I never tried with Mittens.

When you take her to the vet you might also check to see if they have discounts for new pets. Ours give free new kitten exams. So check with any neighbors or friends for referrals.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Happy face new kitty!

what a sweetie kitty! we have six cats..and each one is a joy! they are all strays/shelter cats. going to the vet early is great! use revolution vs any other flea etc. there is kitty "milk" at pet stores/meijers that they LOVE! since she is tiny she will probably eat a little a lot through the day. the spray bottle is a wonderful teaching tool; i still use it! there are so many wonderful "cat" sites that you can read/laugh/learn. 3 cats are declawed/3 not; i, as we have been told after the fact, don't declaw. he best care? love, love, pet, pet, pet, pet! take care and have fun!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Head Moderator

None of my cats are declawed even the indoor ones. When we first got them we showed them their sratching post and actually would take their front paws and sratch the post. We even built a large scratching post, the base is a wood box open on two sides with a blanket for laying on inside. We took three lage tree limbs and placed them through three large drilled holes and put aplatform on top of these. One of of the branches we attached a piece of carpet that we replace here and there. They all use it so this way they hace carpet and wood to sratch. Only here and there do they try elsewhere and then the spray bottle of water works great! After a few times of that for whatever wrong thing they are doing all I have to do is go get the bottle and they stop!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
OMG, He has started jumping on everything in the last 2 days. This is me chasing him out of the sink--yes he jumps onto the litter box and into the sink.

He jumps at the strings on the mini blinds--am trying to keep them tucked away.

I finally got out the squirt bottle yesterday. You should've seen his face when he got the first shot! If he could've talked, I would've gotten an earfull!!

He does not even look at his scratching post. I have tried scratching his claws on it too but he gives me more looks like I must be some kind of crazy woman. ROFL!!! I really like the box idea.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!