Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 06-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sometime its hard to tell for sure, I had a cousin who thought she had a male til it grow up and had kittens,boy was she suprise when she found the kittens under her bed.lol
Old 06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami, he/she is georgeous! I think the name us appropriate. I'm glad you found the right food that your baby likes.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

Your new kitten is so very beautiful!!! Everybody has given you helpful advice, but be sure to take Marble into a veterinarian as soon as possible. She/he (the vet will be able to take care of that problem for you!) needs a check-up and some shots. Plus, you'll want to schedule a neuter/spay date!

Have fun with your new family member!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeagle1
Your new kitten is so very beautiful!!! Everybody has given you helpful advice, but be sure to take Marble into a veterinarian as soon as possible. She/he (the vet will be able to take care of that problem for you!) needs a check-up and some shots. Plus, you'll want to schedule a neuter/spay date!

Have fun with your new family member!
Thank you! We are planning on taking her to the vet as soon as we get caught up with the bills from moving. She will definitely be getting spayed.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-03-2006, 04:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

She is adorable! Dd and I keep talking about getting another cat but DH is dead set against it (at least for now). We're down to our last cat and we keep waiting for her last days ... (she's 16 and very slowly failing).

Check with your local SPCA, ours has local vets that volunteer their time to do neutering / spaying for much less than it would cost at the vet. But you do need to go to the vet for the shots, etc.

Good luck with s/he and post more pictures soon!

Lisa
Old 07-03-2006, 05:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Debora, that is such a cute story about Devil.
ajrsmom, that face definitely looks like a girl face & she has beautiful eyes.
It should be easier to tell the sex after a few months. And don't forget to join us over at the cat photo thread.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hidie Ho!
Kitten Queen of Lawrenceville checking in!! I'm a cat person, and have raised over 40 kittens over the years whose moms died or abandoned them.

From the pics, I would say your kitty is about 8 weeks old, maybe even a little more. I tend to recommend Hills or Iams foods over the kinds available at the local grocery. I know they are a little more expensive, but they are much better in terms of protein-vitamin-mineral-essential oils balance. But many cats do well on the stuff from the grocery. If it turns out to be a boy, keep an eye open for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD).

About the scratching - the water bottle is a good idea, but the kitty will scratch when your back is turned! Get a scratching post and load it with catnip.

The vet is the first stop ASAP!! Since the kitty was found outdoors, it probably has worms. Until they are about 12 weeks old, vets usually don't recommend bathing. If it has fleas (probably) you will need to get the **good** flea protection stuff to put between the shoulders (Advantage, Frontline, Revolution). Check with the vet about the best food for the kitty. Many kitties seem to do better with a mixture of moist and dry foods.

Don't worry about the food amount. Cats eat what they need. Kittens don't need much compared to what a dog eats! Don't let the kitten "bully" you into feeding weird things. ONLY give the kitty food for kitties (no scraps, etc). If it doesn't eat *at all* for a day or so, then take to a vet. But a cat won't starve itself.

Teach the kitty NOW to adjust to being vacuumed, and you'll save yourself much pain later! Brush 2-3 times a week with a "slicker brush" to take off loose hair - this prevents hairballs to a great extent.

Keep the litter box scooped out. If you only have one kitty, one of the electric litter boxes can be a good investment. It will save you time and effort scooping the box, and you will use less litter. (Sad and $$$$$ experience, they don't work well with more than 2 cats, and don't work at all when the tom sprays into the motor! )

Enjoy your little feline!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Currently Fur-Mom to
EffieKathina and Magnus
Old 07-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Thank you so much for all of the information!

She will be going to the vet as soon as possible.

Is there a way to know if she has worms? We have checked her litter box but I dont see anything.

She seems to be eating on a normal schedule now.

If she has fleas, wouldn't I be able to see them on her? I have checked her thoroughly but I dont see any fleas on her. She doesn't seem to be scratching or digging either.

We bought her a scratching posts--hahaha--she doesnt even pay any attention to it. It tried teaching her how to use it but she just ignores it ( and me ). I will try the catnip on it.

I have a brush for her and use it regularly. She doesn't seem to mind that at all.

If you have any other tips for me, I look forward to reading them!!

Thanks again,
Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
About the scratching - the water bottle is a good idea, but the kitty will scratch when your back is turned! Get a scratching post and load it with catnip.

I have had a scratching post through 5 cats and have tried everything to get them to use it. I just cannot seem to get them to scratch on. But, it is there. I've only had to use the water a few times to let them know what they cannot scratch. Now, if I were a cat, I would use my scratching post because it looks fun! lol

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Tami,

Congratulations on adopting your new kitty. If you want to check the gender, as one of my coworkers would say, see it has a set of "pom poms" below its tail in the back. If so, it is a male, otherwise it is probably a female.

I was raised with cats and have two indoors cats now. One likes the scratching post but the other likes to be on top of something to scratch so I have small rug samples under my end tables that I use catnip spray on. I got the spray at Petsmart but have also seen it at Rite Aid.

The larger pet stores also have vets that come and do the shots, etc. so if there is a Petsmart or other large pet store in your area you might want to call them and check schedules and costs for shots, etc. They can give lots of tips too.

As far as checking for worms, we had one cat who did have tape worms. Check around the cat's bed area and if you see something that looks like sesame seeds then your cat has tape worms. I called my vet and he prescribed something that I just had to put in my cat's food a couple of times. I didn't even have to take the cat in. She had been rescued from the SPCA so should not have had worms but she did. You will need to clean and wash her bedding and anywhere else that she sleeps a lot. Also, put all new litter in her box a day or so after her treatment is finished.

Dry food is best since canned and soft food has a lot of sugar and other things in it that are not good for cats, even though they will like the flavor. I agree with Train and prefer Iams. Kittens don't eat a lot all at once and a full large can of food is a lot for a kitten to eat in one sitting. You will need to cover and refrigerate any leftover and give it at the next meal. Some cats like to eat around the same time you do. My cats are adults but one has always eaten a lot in the morning and just lightly snacks a little a couple of times the rest of the day. The other cat is kind of a pig and eats likes a horse all day long.

Cats usually sleep 18 hours a day. One of mine gets up in the morning and is up for two or three hours and then sleeps the rest of the day and does the same in the evening. The other is up and down every couple of hours, so again it depends on the personality of the cat.