Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Escape Artist

My dog seems to be an escape artist. She is a husky mix around 3 yrs old. She showed up at our house a couple of summers ago, so we didn't get to train her as a puppy. She can get off chains, out of chain link fences, through invisible fences, and open doors. She loves to roam which is becoming a problem. The only thing that keeps her contained is her kennel (which she has bent bars on and destroyed the plastic pan on the bottom). She is a chewer too (when unsupervised). She has a very sweet personality, loves kids, is very smart, but also extremely stubborn. Do obedience classes work? Any suggestions?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WOW I have no suggestions sorry BUT WOW she can get out of anything??!! is her name "Hoddi"??!!!{ I know that is spelled wrong but you know that magician??!!!}
she must be pretty!!! those Huskies are beautiful!!!!!
GOOD LUCK!!! maybe one of those trainers like on TV here....they seem to be amazing!!! I could use them too!!!! LOL
Old 02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We had a husky/chow mix (yes she was beautiful). She was the same way and I had her as a pup. She never did chew up things (shoes, household things) but boy did she like to escape. She usually stayed right around the house or in the neighborhood. She would jump in the car so that is usally how I got her to come back. She even chewed a hole in the chain link fence. We did call her Houdni as a nickname.

She was a great dog otherwise. Never barked, always used one corner of yard for restroom and great with the kids when they were babies. But nothing could break her of escaping from the yard or running out the door at times.

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 02-23-2006, 09:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb

I knew someone who had an Akita that was a great escape artist. They went to talk to someone about obedience training (which they did anyway) and the person asked them if they had the proper collar for the invisible fence for an Akita. As their fur is so thick, they need a special collar that has longer "prongs" which will probably be the case with a Husky, too. These prongs must make contact with the skin in order to feel the shock that keeps them within the confines of the fence. You might want to look into this if you just used a standard collar.
Hope this helps!
Trish
Old 02-25-2006, 08:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our collar came with both sets of prongs. We used the longer ones. We even tried to shave some fur away to make sure they were connecting properly. She was just too stubborn.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hee hee Ah, a never ending battle!!

I am constantly battling mine, too. Now only one is left that likes to get out and she's getting older. At my first house, I had diggers and jumpers. I put railroad ties all along the fence line on the OUTSIDE. (after years of trying other things) That stopped the diggers. {Putting things on the outside of the fence works better because they dig (pull) but don't realize how to push} Ran an electric fence along the top and that stopped all but one jumper. At the second house, still had one digger and one jumper. Ran electric fence along the bottom but there were too many trees to run it all the way around, top and bottom. I even put a second fence ON TOP of the first one. I swear it looked like a prison yard! They'd still find ways out and I just kept patching. OH! You can also tie (using haystring, but it isn't a very pretty thing) landscaping logs to the bottom of the fence. When we moved to this house, (this is over 16 years!!!) I had to let the jumper go. He was killing smaller critters and getting me into big trouble. (cats, chickens...) Still have the digger but as I said, she's getting older. She's 9, but in tip top physical condition. She's gotten out here a few times. And naturally, when one gets out, the others have to go too. Except her mom. She's 10, not in tip top shape and blinding. Being as this fence was 'virgin', I've patched with landscaping bricks left over from my old house. But last year I bought some chicken wire and meant to put it down before the grass popped up. Unfortunately, we went from freezing temps to 80's and the grass is high and the fence is still rolled up. lol But, what works is to tie (I use the wire ties you can get from hardware and more stores) the top half of the chicken wire to the fence on the inside. Being sure to get the bottom tight to the fence. Crease the chicken wire so that now you have and L shape and secure the bottom part that's on the ground with stakes. (You can also get small ones at the same store) If you get it done in time, and the grass comes up though it, it will help secure it to the ground. If you have all kinds of money, time and physical ability, you could either dig a shallow bit and actually bury the fence, or put top soil over it and hope it secures before they start working on it. If you can wear them out everyday (through a walk or play) it will help keep them in. They just need to release all that energy. But unless you have a way to mush (won't go into all my ideas I've had for that) you'd be hard pressed to wear an Husky out! My battle has been with Great Danes and mutts. Good luck. I'll see ya in the yard! lol