Strange habits??

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Our hound has a sulkie blanket, drags this thing wherever he goes. Finaly broke him of trying to take it out when he goes to the washroom. If he goes upstairs he pulls it up, goes to his food he brings it. I have to laugh at him.
    What Strange habits do your dogs have?
    We have had many dogs growing up and seems like each one had some strange quirk with them. A ****er that had a stuffed elephant that he took everywhere's, A shetland that rounded up rocks, A GS that would only do what the cat was doing, 1 chiuaua (sp?) that stole teacups and the other followed the cat again, a wire terrier that collected keys and socks,2 bearded collies that could not be seperated from one another. I won't even go into the quirks of the hounds we had
  • Our dog, Mable, has a habit of getting both front paws in the washtub that contains her water. She only does this when I
    or my father goes out to the set of pens that house Mable and
    the other dogs. She is very energetic and loves to play when I
    go into her pen. ;-) She is also kind of silly sometimes. Mable used to drink straight from the water hose when we would get ready to refill their water buckets.
  • Ozzy is now almost 2 and the habits are just now coming.
    Will only eat his treats in the living room.
    Likes to watch the toilet water spin down-doesn't drink, just watches.
    This one just started a couple weeks ago and we don't know why.
    When dh comes in the house the dog jumps up to say hi then starts peeing on the floor. Not a regular pee, the kind they mark the trees with. Male dog owners probably know what I'm talking about. Dh can just go to take the garbage out, come immediatly back in and the waterworks start so its not like Oz misses him. They are the only two guys in the house. Maybe its his way of bonding?
  • We have a beagle (an adopted stray) who is really good with the kids. He gets up several times a night and makes rounds checking on the kids. The strangest thing though is he will not sleep on a dog bed/cushion. He will put his head on it like a pillow, but that is the only way he will use it. When it was cold we gave him an old blanket and it was funny to watch him make his bed. He uses his paws and nose to get it placed like he wants it, then lays down and if cold enough, covers himself up. He snores as bad as my dh.
  • My Dogs 'Habits"
    I have a Pedigree Toy Poodle. I was told when I bought a pedogree she might have "issues" to deal with. They are intelligent, but very demanding. Her first incident was after her first heat at age 8 months. She suffered with a suto pregnancy and attached to one of my grand kids. Darci suddenly got very agressive so the Vet suggested we have her spayed. This did eliviate teh problem. I then bought her a Dog toy. A large over sized toy that looks like a pacifier. This silly dog actually sucks on it like a pacifier! Needless to say I went righ tout and bought all teh store had to keep a supply of them!
  • We have a German Shepherd mix. When she is upset she plunges her muzzle as far into her water as she can and then slings it out. When she feels insecure she carries her rubber newspaper around with her, sleeping on top of it, leans it against her food bowl while eating, and cries softly.
  • my goofy animals
    I have an akita who i swear at times thinks she is human. before i go to sleep at night i have to make sure that all blankets and pillows on my bed are away from the edges, if not they WILL be stolen. I cannot tell you how many times i have woken up in the middle of the night because i was cold or couldn't find my pillow, some nights even both. When i sit up and look at the floor beside my bed i discover ashi laying on the floor with her head on a pillow and a blanket covering her.
    My sink in the bathroom drips non stop if you don't take the time to fiddle with the handle to turn it off. If it is dripping my cat azriel will sit on the edge of the sink and hold his paw under the drips. Once it gets wet enough he will wash his face with his wet paw. Either he's just too lazy to lick himself clean, or he's thought about it and realizes that it's impossible to actually be "clean" with his own saliva. LOL
    My favorite is when the cat and dog team up together. There could be something on the counter that Ashi(the dog) decides that she has to have. She will go sniff the cat and then walk up to where ever it is and sit there staring at it. The cat will eventually go and jump up on the surface and knock whatever it is down so ashi can get it.
  • My daughter's dog eats what is in the cat litter box, after the cat has used it causing the dog an intestinal infection which almost killed her the last time. Since that time, they keep the cat litter box where the old dog can't get it! She survived!
  • My friend has a cat and a miniature poodle. She recently had some mice from the woods by her house get inside. The cat catches the mouse, brings it to the dog to kill, and then the cat brings it to her with the dog attending.
  • Hi Puzzler:
    I always knew animals communicated with each other and with us. Your post proves that.