Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-11-2002, 12:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What plants can be grown for cats???

Does anyone know of any plants that cats like besides catmint,
catgrass, and catnip?
Old 05-14-2002, 03:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To Katybird1487,

This may sound a little strange but my cat 'Snickers' likes to chew on leafy celery tops. When I buy celery I have to give him a few tops, and throw them on the porch. He rolls in them and chews on them the way most cats do for catnip.He must like both the smell and the taste. But I have never known another cat who does this. ? You might check next time you buy celery if your cat likes the smell of celery leaves before you try to plant some.

I also know some cats like borage. When the plant is young, the leaves have a sort of cucumber smell and can be eaten young and tender. The purple flowers are ok to eat to. (For both humans and cats) I had a female cat named Kismit who liked it so did the cat next door. One drawback with borage when it is overgrown it gets prickly and coarse so pick it young, also be aware that bees love it, I have heard it nickednamed the 'bee plant'. But if you don't mind a few bees in your garden. You might try it for your kitty.
Hope this helps, Leslie9220
Old 05-30-2002, 10:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, Leslie9220. I will try both the borage and the celery tops
thing when I get a chance to.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

A great thing for indoor cats is to plant some grass seed in a pot. They love to nibble on it. The easiest way to do this is if you have some bird seed (not sunflower seeds). It actually contains millet and some other grasses that will grow quickly in a pot. My cat loved to have this in the winter when there is no grass in Michigan.

Caroline