Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sad face Helping Dog Deal With Blindess From SARD

Just last week, DD's (really mine now because she never moved with DD when she got married) mini doxie was diagnosed with Sudden Achieved Retina Degeneration (SARD).

She could literally see one day and was blind when she woke up the next day.

I took her to the LSU Vet School for the diagnosis. They confirmed their suspicions with an electroretinogram. Our vet, whom I love dearly, wasn't sure if she had glaucoma, SARD or another disorder of the eye. There was also a chance that she had Blastomycosis - a fungal infection that can travel to the dog's eye and cause blindness.

The LSU Vet School gave me a hand-out on helping your dog deal with blindness.

While it had quite a few tips that made sense and were good, I was wondering if anyone here had a dog that is now blind but was not born blind. If so, got any tips that you'll share?

This is so heart-breaking to deal with. I feel so sorry for Sweetie but know that eventually, we'll all come to terms with it and she can still have many happy years with our family. I just want to make the adjustment period to be as easy on her as I can.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bless her heart. I know there is a lot of information out there for owners of blind dogs. My guess would be that she would be no different than a human. I personally would be terrified if I awoke and everything was black. With humans, everything in the house has to be in its place so that the blind person won't hurt herself while walking through it.

There is a book called, "Living With Blind Dogs," by Caroline Levin RN. You can also try these Web sites: http://www.blinddog.info/blinddoghelp.htm and http://www.blinddogs.com/blind_dogs.htm . I hope they help you.

I feel for your poor baby!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 AM

Abear

So sorry to hear about your Doxie going blind... I have a doxie too. My neighbor had a dog who was blind, had arthritis and loosing her hearing. As Debora18 said "keep things in place so she doesn't bump into things". Don't let her outside alone of course, even in your own yard. Molly fell in their man made pond in November and swam around in there for about half hour before Melissa found her- didn't have problems with her arthritis for a week after that. There may be potty accidents as time goes bye but just love her and be the best mommy you can be.

Anna