Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Child wants a pet

My DD who is almost 10 has wanted a dog FOREVER.
DH has always had a dog, until he married me.
I am the holdout here. And I'm starting to feel a little guilty about that....

I have a couple of issues I worry about. One is that I will bear most of the burden of caring for the dog. I figure, if I wanted another child, I'd just have another child--not the furry kind. The Big Kids are in school all day and are busy.

The other issue is that our families live far away. When we visit, we're gone ALL day. My ILs might welcome the dog on a visit but my parents would NOT! Which is fine....but when you're gone for over 12 hours that is a burden on the animal or on the neighbor that you hope is home to watch your dog for you.

Has anyone else figured out a good way to deal with these issues?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Barb, have you thought about a gold fish, beta fish, or a tiny crab? They don't live very long and are easy to take care of. Most people wouldn't mind feeding it for you when you leave town. Also, if your DD doesn't take good care of it, no big loss. This way you could tell your DD and DH that if she can keep the aquarium clean and the pet well fed, then you will consider a bigger, more fluffy pet. The crab is good in that your DD will have to save up for a bigger shell for it grow in to. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 AM

I agree with DeBora, start with a fish. How ios she at doing home work, chores etc? If she is not responsible in those two areas, I'd say absolutely not.
Also, cats are more self sufficient so you could try a cat instead of a dog.

Coll
Old 12-18-2005, 12:26 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am in total agreement with the other posters. Start SMALL, and if she can show responsibility for a stated length of time, then possibly on to better things. More times than one wants to think, the child makes all the promises of caring for the pet, then mom ends up taking over and possibly be resentful. It's not just the physical care, its also a financial responsibility. There are too many pups at Humane Societies now that came from good intentions at home and didn't work out.
Another thing to consider, when and if the time comes to get a dog, cat, or whatever....hiring a professional pet sitter to come to your home and take care of them when you can't be there. Good luck, Rachel "Critter Sitter" :-)
Old 12-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thank you for all your advice.

We did the fish thing with her. She did not take good care of it. That was when she was about 7. Her older brother (13) has had Beta fish fairly continuously since he was 10 or so. He does well with it. But he's not the one asking for the dog.

She has those "maturity spurts" where she can be really responsible, and then NOTHING! I don't think she would be a good pet owner on her own.

DH works long hours--leaves at 6 AM and returns after 6 PM, 4 days a week. That means it's me and the kids, with a furry pet, for most of the day.

And NO cats. I have asthma and cats are a serious trigger for me. So far, when we have visited friends with dogs, it hasn't been a problem, but I do have that worry in my mind.

At the moment the problem is resolved....we got her something else for Christmas and her upcoming birthday. I might consider it in the future, especially in warmer weather to start out, BUT I would require a serious "proof of responsibility" first. As Rachel the Critter Sitter said, often the mom gets stuck caring for the animal and it doesn't work out. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that, right now.
Old 12-18-2005, 03:48 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Sounds like you have a handle on things. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DH's boss sent me this (exactly as I have pasted it here) the other day. It might help to go over it with DD before making your decision.

The Ten Commandments of Pet Ownership
1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you adopt me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me Ė Itís crucial to my well-being.

4. Donít be angry with me for long, and donít lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your entertainment, and your friends.
I only have you.

5. Talk to me sometimes. Even if I donít understand your words, I do understand your voice when it is speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, Iíll never forget it.

7. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones of your hand, but I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps Iím not getting the right food, or Iíve been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, ďI canít bear to watch itĒ or ďLet it happen in my absence.Ē Everything is easier for me if you are there.

REMEMBER THAT I LOVE YOU!!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

That is such a cute--and true--saying! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-19-2005, 05:32 PM
Assistant Moderator

Barbsy
Is this an indoor or an outdoor dog? We have 2 dogs, I've never in my life bar 6mths of moving been without one or 2.
Our dogs are outside ones, small, have their own kennels (cat boxes due to dogs only being 3kg each), they DO NOT come insdie unless it is the garage for storms or I am in there.
They stay at home by themselves all day if we are out, they stay here when we go on holidays, sometimes for up to 2 weeks (every 2yrs maybe). Our lnlaws/neighbours come here and feed them and take them for a walk every couple of days. They are used to us not being here for full days at a time.
I think as long as you spend quality time with your dog leaving them is not an issue. We bought both of our dogs at dfferent times but from the pound and they were already past the 1yr puppy stage. Check around and find a breed suitable for you.
Make looking after the pet, feeding, grooming, playing etc part of your childs pocket money.
My dogs are no one in particulars pet but ds2 is the one who feeds them at night and helps with the bathing, part of his pocket money. Small dogs only need shortish walks, around our block is enough for them and a good run around our yard with the kids if fun for both.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 PM

I would not start out with a pure bred dog.

Coll