Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 12-20-2005, 02:29 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Barb, I am having trouble sleeping, but I just had an epiphany. Have you ever thought about getting your DD to do some volunteer work or community service for her community for one week at an animal shelter? There may be other places that rescue animals that she could work at too. She's be learning several valuable lessons in one. She'd be learning to give to her community as well as what happens when people do not take care of their animals. And she'd learn how much hard work taking care of animals are. It would mature her too no matter have mater she already is. I would give her a time like 1 week at 5 hours a day or something you think is fair. She could do it in the summer when it is warm and she wouldn't have school.

I know that I have done community service before for various reasons, including sociology class. It is great to be able to give back to your community. I personally learn from each experience too. Anyway, it's an idea.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DeBora, that is a WONDERFUL idea! I will definitely follow up on it this summer.
I was also thinking, maybe she could advertise on our block for "pet walking" service--again, when the weather gets warm. We have some seniors who might like that.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:21 AM

I think I'd have her do the dog walking thing in the cold so she can see what it takes, since dogs need walked all year round.
If I were having one of my kids do the community service thing, I'd do that during the school year. It would show them that that responsibility can't be pushed aside because of homework, and vice/versa.

Coll
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Let us know how it turns out Barb.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Children and Pets

Well, I'm afraid that I'm the "Odd Man Out" here.
First, I was raised with pets all my younger years and as an adult I've always had pets.
I have three kids, 7, 11, 12.
They all have a variety of pets. Although they sometimes get lazy with a little reminder they will "take care" of thier pet(s).
Then again, I've worked in the animal field in one way or another for about 18 years.
I think one of the most important decisions is to make sure you choose a dog that will fit your lifestyle. Don't pick a breed that tends to be on the hyper side if you can't deal with the issues that go along with this trait and so on.
Do research into different breeds. Considering a mix breed could be a possibilty. Be careful to screen the pet first.
Possibly choosing a breed that could benefit from being outside during the long periods of you being away would offer some sense of reassurence that you don't need to rush home to let the dog out. Make sure there are toys, food, water and shelter When away for extended periods Professional Pet Sitters offer a good option.
I guess I look at it as not a responsibility thing but as a bonding process.
I wouldn't be so quick as to get a pet that
has a short life span unless your child has
a personalilty that would help her dealing with the loss in a short period of time.
I most certainly realize this is a learning process but think a child's first expereince with pets should be a positive one.
A good source for pets can be found on www.petfinder.com. There is a shelter section and a public classified section.
Good Luck!
Robin in NC