Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-12-2005, 05:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

How do you choose a place to board your dog?

I may have to board my dog for a week at the end of the month, and I honestly don't know what to look for in evaluating a kennel.

I know of someone who takes the dogs into her home, and there are kennels that give the dogs social and play time, but I am so nervous about leaving her in someone esles care.

She is a 14 mo old jack russell/****er spaniel mix. Very friendly and social. She loves all people and dogs. She loves to run every day. She has had her kennel cough vaccine and all her other shots are up to date.

A friend offered to "look after" her by stopping into the house a couple of times a day, but I said no.. she'll be much too lonely that way.

So.. please tell me what questions to ask over the phone, and what to look for when I get there.

( I wish someone would just live at my house with her for the week! )

Thanks, Val
Old 08-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've never actually had to do this but I can tell you what I would do if I ever had to do it. I would look for things like is the kennel clean, do the dogs look healthy, do they look like they've been played w/or ignored, is there rust on the fence, does the place look like it's kept up? Call you vet & I'm sure they could probably give you guidlines too. They might even be able to suggest a few places. Good luck. Kathy
Old 08-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I personally treat my dogs like humans and never leave anywhere if I cannot take my dogs. lol

However, If I were to take a dog to a kennel, I would make several surprise visits. See if their cages are kept clean and if they are fed. Also, ask around at the Vet offices in your area. They may be able to make recommendations. Good luck!

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definately call my vet on Monday.

Debora.. I felt a twang of guilt when I read your post... This is the first time we are going somewhere where she isn't able to go... And I treat my TC as if she were human too.. another kid..so I'm looking for a very good babysitter... Because this trip isn't apropriate for her.. but much needed for the rest of us

Old 08-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I meant in no way to make you feel guilty. I guess that I either leave my dogs with family or I miss out. I miss out a lot because I am afraid to leave my dogs at a kennel. Plenty of people leave them at kennels and they seem to do well. Like I said, talk to vets in your area. They usually know who the best places are. Plus, make surprise visits and see just how these animals are treated. I used to do that at the daycare I kept my son at briefly. I never came when I said I would as I knew they'd have my son looking perfectly and acting perfectly. So, I would do it just as I would my human children. Check out the qualifications from experts and make a few visits before that first day. You'll be able to see if the dogs are fed, watered, and if the cage is changed regularly. I'm glad you are going to not miss out. I think that by checking out the place will make you feel better about leaving your babies.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I would ask the Vet for a recommendation and ask the kennel if they had any references they could give you. I think if your dog is good with other dogs it would be great to socialize him or her. Also like the idea of surprise visit, see how clean it looks and how the dogs appear to be happy and well cared for.
Maybe ask neighbors or coworkers if they know of a good kennel too. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Boarding the Dog

Checking with the Vet is an excellent idea, but I must say after boarding my two dogs at the PetsMart PetsHotel, I will never go to another facility.

My two rescue dogs had not been boarded since they came into my life, but I had to head to a conference in Baltimore and there was a PetsHotel on the way. The local TV station did a story from there when they opened their doors and the concept was something I had been looking for when it comes to boarding pets.

I reserved a suite for them, private room with beds and a color TV/VCR which played Disney movies. The walls were painted with cute scenery. My dogs were signed up for every option available.... puppy playgroup, puppy daycare where they played with the other dogs, treats three times a day, etc.

They also will do special feedings (mine get organic whole milk twice a day) and they have a refrigerator for this.

There is a "Bone Booth" you may call 24/7 to find out how your pets are doing or if the dog(s) are awake, they will bring them to the phone so they can hear your voice. There is also a doctor on call 24/7 plus nonstop monitoring.

The staff is very well schooled in pet care and takes great interest in making sure the companion pets are happy during their stay.

I plan on visiting Atlanta this year and will book them at the PetsHotel there. No more "dog runs" for my two, and no more worry for me. This is truly a wonderful place for your pets.

http://www.petsmart.com/PETsHOTEL/

Jennifer

Alexandria, Virginia
Veterinary Internal Medicine & Oncology
Old 08-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I remember seeing a program about these pet motels a few years ago. Those places are indeed very nice. It kinda made me wish I lived in an area that had one because I would take my boys there just to have them spoiled. The one I saw on TV also did massages and such to the pets.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow( or dare I say... Bow Wow?)

That hotel is a great thing! Really more pampering that I get myself! lol

There are none near me. The closest is a 3 hour drive each way in the opposite direction of our vacation.

I'm waiting to hear from a woman who takes select pets into her home... And also for a reply as to wether or not my pup can come with us to the home we are renting.. I hope the owners give us permission. That way at least we'll be with her at night.

Boy I wish this was as easy as bringing a child on vacation.. She is after all , my baby...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Pet hotels/motels are VERY nice if you don't mind the extra cost. I haven't checked into PetsMart's version, so I don't know what theirs is like.

I have boarded my dog several times. We had to whenever we went on vacation until we got the RV (now she comes with). We have also had my in-laws take her and keep her at their house.

As far as what to look for, #1 thing you want to check is if they OFFER to give you a tour of their facility. When you call, let THEM do all the talking. Simply call and say "I'm looking for a place to board my dog while on vacation, can you please tell me about your facility". Then be quiet. LOL Let them tell you what they have. Things they should offer are:

- tour of their facility
- play time
- walk time
- grooming or bath
- bedding

Now granted, most places charge extra for play time, walks and for the bath. Some places let you bring your own food, others don't, just depends on the facility. When you tour the facility, the kennels should be clean and your dog should either have direct access to an outside run through his kennel OR they should offer take-out times. Most places have a doggie door in each kennel that goes to the outside kennel. This is one big long cage, they cannot get to other dogs.

The kennel should have some sort of bedding for the dog to ly down on. Some places have a siple blanket, others have cots that are low to the ground, some are concrete floors whiles others have indoor outdoor carpeting throughout the indoor kennel. It just depends on the facility.

The key is if the kennel is clean.

I agree with checking with your vet. They generally will know what kennels are good and what aren't.

The one I used to keep Angel at when we lived in Wisconsin were very persnickety about the care of the dogs. They had two play times per day and DID NOT bathe the dog before it came home. They said there was no need since their place did not SMELL like a kennel. LOL They were right!

Another place I would take her to would always send her home with a cute bandana around her neck and I would get a "report card" that showed me how well she ate, if she had bowel movements and how they were, if she was playful, well behaved, how she did on her walks, etc.

Good luck in finding a place!

KEY IS don't make a big fuss to the dog when you leave, you coulod create unneccessary anxiety that is not good for your little friend.

Oh also, some places will not allow you to go in with the dog to the actual kennel when you drop it off since that can create unneccesary anxiety as well. So be sure to take your tour ahead of time.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda