Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 04-24-2002, 03:13 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking My dog dislikes other dogs...

Hello everyone,
Well I figured I give it a shot and ask you all if any of you have a dog or dogs who dislike other dogs... Well actually any other animals? I have a 4 year old mix of what ??? not too sure. But dh and I got her down south when we lived down there at the human society... Got her at 4 months old.. When we got her back to our house we walked her daily so obviously saw other animals and we also met up with other dogs and she was fine.. Well when we moved up to CT she was attacked by a wolf/husky who was not on a leash.. The dog bolted out of his apt. and the owner was trying to call him back but it was too late. It jumped on top of Myrage (Mirage) my dog and then bit her on her side by her stomach and then on her face... Well needless to say she had to get pretty stitched up...:mad: So basically after that it was forget it even when she is inside and she hears another dog, or even when she hears just a leash rattling, she goes CRAZY!!! I need her to stop this.. When we bring her outside to go to the bathroom I always hope that another dog doesn't come outside because then all *** breaks loose... If you know what I mean... I tell her to sit, stop or come so we can go back inside and forget she doesn't even listen at that point.. All of her hair stands up and she growls and barks and everything.. When you try to talk to her or then yell she barks and growls at us.. Me and my dh.. But when we do get her inside she knows that she was wrong because she goes right to her bed or chair and lays there.. It is kind of embarassing... I just don't know what to do anymore. I just started to walk again for my own health and I would love to take her but I just can't... Does anyone have any suggestions?? As for people that she knows she is great with, the same with children. But if she doesn't know the scent of the person, then she will be iffy... OH WHAT TO DO??? What do you think would happen if I brought home another dog? Is that what she needs to get use to it? What is the problem?? I just don't get it. I have had 2 dogs in my lifetime and this is dh 1st and he thinks that all dogs do this.. But I know they don't ... What do we do??? Any help would be appreciated...
Ang
Old 04-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Your pet suffered a horrific attack and she has been traumatized. I would recommend talking to your vet who may be able to help you. You can also contact a professional Dog trainer who is experienced in dealing with many different breeds and situations. Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2002, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

here's the url for a site i've used.....you post your questions and someone will get back to you within an hour or so....i ended up in contact with a kennel owner that has been helpful...

their "experts" are prescreened and qualified so i found it a help

good luck

http://www.practical-pet-care.com/dog_forum.php

carol
Old 05-22-2002, 03:33 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree with both posters here. Obviously your dog has been traumatized and she is doing the only thing she knows to protect herself from another attack.

A patient dog trainer will be a huge help in getting her to overcome this fear and become socialized again. Good luck!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda