Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 05-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Question Female Greyhound Leaking Urine

Hi, We are having a major leaking problem with my female greyhound. She started a year ago with just drops of urine coming out & the vet put her on meds. They worked fine for almost a year & then it suddenly got worse. They changed her pills again & said it could take a week to work. Thank heaven it is warm out. We have been keeping her in her outside pen most of the day. It is coming out of her in a small stream, poor baby. She can't feel it or stop it but everything smells like urine. She is definitely a house & person dog despite her size. I am so very frustrated. She is only 7 , the vet says it is hormones. Any one else have a similar problem & what worked. Thanks, cau

Old 05-27-2005, 11:18 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

Hi! Have you gotten a second opinion about this problem? Greyhounds can have different problems of their own.. Was she a racer or breeder? To many liters could cause a problem. Have you had any kind of MRI or ultrasound of her bladder the general area? Have you gone on sites for rescued greyhounds? They might have experience with something like this. Your vet might be good but as you know with any medical field the doctors can have blinders on and medicine is an easy fix for them....just check all your options. Hope you get some answers soon. poor girl!

vet tech for 10 years and animal lover for 32.
Thanks, stephanie
Old 05-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

stepherlynn
She is a retired racer. She was raced until she was 5 1/2. We have had her for 2 years. I have talked to the Regap group I adopted her from and had her tested at the vets( she is 1 expensive pet). I have also researched it online. She is on the top does of the new meds. We just increased it yesterday. Both the vet & Regap said if this doesn't work we are out of options. Until last night the urine just ran out of her like when you get out of the pool. Right now it seems to be slowing down. We are hoping. Thanks, cau

Old 05-30-2005, 09:56 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

I had a similar problem, and it was hormones too. We tried the hormone medication, which worked for a few months. But she was 14...

I would try a second opionion too. SOmetimes, universities that specialize in veterinary science tend to me more on top of the latest.

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 05-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Cau,

I know nothing about Greyhounds but had a cat who had a similar problem and it turned out that she had diabetes, which led to kidney failure. Has your Greyhound been checked for diabetes? Is she thirsty more than usual? Excessive thirst and urination can be signs of diabetes. I also agree with the others that a second opinion would be helpful.

Laura
Old 05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My dh just called me at work BackSpin has lost all control of her bladder. The vet suggested kindly that it was time as nothing is working. I am so upset not only for the family but she was dh dog. Followed him everywhere & now he has to put her down. Thank you for your help& suggestions. cau

Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Cau,

I am so sorry to hear that you had to have your faithful Greyhound put down. I've been through it with pets twice and it is sad since they become like members of the family too. I'm thankful for the fond memories that I have of them and hope that you will find some comfort in the memories of your precious Greyhound.

Hugs,
Laura
Old 06-01-2005, 09:02 AM

Cau

I'm sorry to hear about your dog too. Is the vet actually saying she has kidney failure? If not, have you tried the doggy diapers? I think they make them mainly for dogs who are "in heat" but it may be a alternative? You can get these at Petsmart even if you don't have one close you can get them online.

Anna
Old 06-01-2005, 05:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my sympathy

I will first say that your decision to adopt a greyhound has lessened the suffering of the breed in general. I am sorry about you friend but if you remember the love you received from her for giving her the best few, was it, years of her life, it will get easier for you. The greyhound racing lifestyle is not the best for these poor dogs. You should be proud to have helped. There are still other greyhounds that need your help, if not with a home, with your words.
Sorry about what might come, but you are the happy thoughts in you dogs mind.

Here for support, Stephanie
Old 06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

She had complete kidney failure. I'm sorry for not answering sooner but we as a family are having a hard time letting go. I don't think anyone of us realized how much she impacted our ives. Thank You for all your help. cau