Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

FamilyCorner is Looking For Extraordinary Pet Stories

FamilyCorner.com is doing a story on extraordinary pets. If you would like your family pet featured (even if they have left this world) and would like to tell your story, please see the guidelines below. If your pet falls into one of these categories, please reply to this post and I will get in touch with you!

Does your pet fall into one of these categories?

- Saved a life
- overcame severe physical/health related challenges
- does outstanding/amazing tricks

Good quality photos will be imperative for this story. If you pet is featured, please be sure and dig out those photos, or pull out your digital camera!

I look forward to hearing your pet stories!

(Pets can include any animal, not just dogs or cats!)

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Saved a Life or at least serious injury

I had a mutt (part chow/part something else) girl dog (Brittany) who was the apple of my eye. She was always very protective of me and children. We had a neighbor boy(6 year old) and girl (8 year old) who lived across the street up hill from us. One day we (Brittany and I) in the front yard working in my flower bed when all of a sudden she jumped up and ran right into the path of an oncoming truck, right as this was happening I heard the mother across the road screaming at her son to stop (he was riding up and down the step hill on a hot wheels- and once started could not stop), the truck ran over Brittany but stopped inches from hitting the little boy. Brittany never left my side and she absolutely never crossed the road without me with her. She often played with the little boy and girl in my yard. I will always believe that she saw this happening and did what she could to stop the accident from happening. If that truck would have hit that little boy it would likely have killed him, but it would have at least caused serious injury. Brittany did not die but it did crush her tailbone and cracked her pelvis, and almost caused me to die. I was so mad at the driver of the truck I could have killed him, #1 I loved this dog and if he would have died I would have never forgiven him, #2 their were lots of kids in the neighborhood and he should have known better then to go speeding through it. He lived right on the end of the cul-de-sac. By the way he no longer lives there. Brittany survived this accident and continued to feel my home and heart with love for many more years. She passed away last year but will forever be in my heart. Dogs are amazing creatures and she was one of the SMART ones!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

outstanding/amazing tricks?

We adopted a beautiful gray and white cat from the local shelter many years ago and her name is MaMa Mouse. After having her for a few months one day I couldn't find my gold wedding band. I usually take it off at night and set it on my nightstand. I tore the entire house apart looking for it. Something told me that somehow she was involved. I picked her up onto my lap and said "MaMa Mouse, if you know what happened to my wedding band and you hid it, I better find it in my slipper when I get up in the morning." Lo and behold! I woke up the next morning. Upon putting my feet into my slippers there was something very cold and very hard in my slipper. I emptied my slipper into my hand to find...........................my wedding band! I couldn't quit laughing! I never would have ever believed this would happen! That wasn't the end of it. She has done it several times after that always returning it to my slipper. She also hid one of my wrist watches. My wrist watch was also found in my slipper. I guess we adopted a cleptomaniac kitty!
Old 04-12-2005, 12:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a dog, that is a wonderfull Therpy Dog. I'm not sure what your looking for, for your story, I just took her out of TDI due to the stress it put on her, but she was registered for 2 years and still does Therpy work, every now and then.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Saved a life!

Years ago we adopted a beautiful German Shepard(Sabrina) from an elderly couple that saved her from being put down at a local veterinarians office. She was only a year old at the time. My son took seizures for years prior to this. They just loved each other. She spent most of her time with my son. One day she came into another room and pushed me toward the room where my son was at the time. Upon entering the room, I noticed my son going into a full grand mal seizure. My son being a rather large boy, she came over and put her backside out for me to gently lay him partially on it to ease him down to the floor so he wouldn't fall during the seizure. She carefully lay next to him until the seizure was over. She got up and pushed her backside over again for me to lean him there to help him up off the floor to get him to the sofa so he could sleep off the seizure. She stayed by his side all the time after that. We were very fortunate to have her. Unfortunately, my son died in 1989. Sabrina died in 1998.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:57 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My cat Shadow is overcoming or I should say living with feline lukemia. I have not enclosed a picture. It is better this way.
The mother threw him out of the litter when he was only a few days old. The vet said he would die in a day or so but I kept him alive using an eye dropper. When he was stong enough I started him on a bottle and then to cat food.
Three years later the vet does not give him much more time. I do the best I can and have put all my faith in God for I know he will do what,s right.
It has beeen one week since the vet gave him so little time. He looks better than he did a week ago and is purring as I write this. Thankyou for at least reading my story. God blee! Kitty.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our Extrodinary Pet

Hi Amanda! When I saw this post I knew my mom's dog was perfect for this story! My mom has a toy daucshund, named Kash she is black and tan. She was the runt of the litter and no one really wanted her. When we went to pick her up, she was so tiny! When we got her home, she acted shy and scared. We figured that it was probably because she was in new surroundings. One day my dad(who is retired) called me and told me that the puppy was sick. He said that my mom was concerned because she thought she had worms. She was very sick and because she was so small and young, they could not give her the treatment. So, basically, this little girl had a slim chance of survival, and it would be two weeks before she could be treated for the illness. We were all sad because we had fallen in love with her the moment we saw her cute little face. We took care of her the best we could. Two weeks felt like a year, but mom took her to get the treatment! She finally got better and is almost a year old now! She is in fine health and doing well! But I will never forget the trial we had getting that little girl better, I glad she is still here. She is our kissy face little Kashy Poo!

Last edited by Luvmykashypoo21; 04-12-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Overcame health related challenge

Five years after we adopted MaMa Mouse she became terribly ill. We took her to the vet. and she stayed for a week with us visiting her several times a day taking her favorite bed, toys, food bowl, etc. She is so spoiled that he didn't even have to sedate her to take xrays. She laid upside down while the assistant rubbed her belly. After many tests the vet. still had no idea what was wrong with her. She wouldn't eat anything at all. Finally, he said just take her home and make her comfortable. I wasn't ready to give up on her especially with no definite diagnosis. I took her home and slowly started to feed her canned food with a tiny baby spoon. I started with just a few little pieces every hour. I did this for three solid days staying up the entire 72 hours. Finally on the fourth day she began eating on her own then slowly graduating to the dry food also. Slowly she began gaining her weight back and is a very healthy cat. The vet. did call daily. When I called him the day she began eating he couldn't believe it. He said I don't know what you did but whatever it was, it worked. He checked her again after that and said she was going to be just fine.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am writing in response to your request for fun pet stories. We had the joy of owning a Great Pyrenees for over 10 years. D'art had the unique ability to predict when I was going to have a seizure. When I would awaken, D'art would be beside me with his large paw on me and he would be gently licking my face. As my health progressed, he would refuse to go outside or leave my side on the tymes that he could sense an oncoming seizure. By learning to pay attention to him, we learned when to have someone stay home wyth me and other ways to keep me safe during a scary tyme.
If you would like more details, please let me know:[email protected]
Thank you muchly,
Pamela
Old 04-13-2005, 08:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

contest for pets...

Molly our cat was 13 years young when she passed away from a cancerous tumor growth on her neck. She was called Queen Molly. She was always a sweet and loving cat . The doctors gave us the option of survery,but, it was very expensive and she might have lived six more months. Molly was a "Trooper" right up to the end giving us love and kisses even if she could barely walk to us.
We know she is in "kitty heaven" and she will forever be in our hearts.

Last edited by petitelady; 04-13-2005 at 08:30 AM.