Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Nine Year Member

aggression to people at the door

We have an Australian Shepard mix that we have had for 5 months now she is about 22-24 months. Lately (about a month) she has started attacking the storm door growling & barking with neck hair standing up when someone comes to the door and it is all I can do to pull her away from the door.

Now she doesn't do this with family and she is worse when it is a man at the door. She was never bothered by the UPS man or a customer that come to the house but now we aren't sure we will be able to keep her if she doesn't stop. We are really afraid she will pull away from us and go after the person outside. She is super friendly any other time and lets the 3 yr old lay over her. She wants to be a lap dog, LOL, but at 35 lbs she gets a bit heavy.

She came with a cage that she slept in and was put in when we weren't home until we could trust her. I put the cage in the living room today and will start putting her in it when someone comes before we open the door to see how things go. I don't know what else to do. Our other dog a Keeshound mix 50-55 lb is starting to bark more and not leave the door when someone is there and he never cared before when we left someone in.

Roberta
Old 03-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Roberta

This is the line that bothers me the most. .

Quote:
we aren't sure we will be able to keep her if she doesn't stop.
She can't stop unless she is trained. Training eliminates most unwanted behaviors. You have to be willing to invest the time and make an honest effort to correct these problems.

Both dogs are in ASAP need of obedience training.
y'all need to establish Alpha roll and y'all haven't done so.

Please contact a professional trainer that uses positive/negative reinforcement.

Remember your dogs are not people...they are dogs.
You need to do this or you will have to resign yourself to life without a dog. A dog untrained is a loose cannon....
Canine ownership is a big responsibility.. A dog bite can lead to hundreds or thousands of dollars in medical and legal fees.

It's much cheaper to train the dog and y'all get trained to follow through..

Jeannie

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-31-2005, 01:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

HI,
We have a aussie. She doesn't like men either so when we know someone is coming we put her in her kennel. We let her get to know the man and then let her out and she is more relaxed. That is a good idea of putting her kennel downstairs. This will help. Aussie's are very very territorial. Ours thinks her yard is hers. I do love her.
I hope this helps and if you have any other questions just ask.
Chloe
Old 03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey,

We had a border collie mix that also did this. Its a normal dog thing to protect and guard those their humans. We had the added problem of our cog had been badly abused and at 6 month was very aggressive! He growled when he was happy or being aggressive, and no one had any answers for us until I ran into someone at the Humane Soc. He suggest we use treats for rewards, and keep a collar with spikes on the dog until we got him trained. When we went to the door and he began to jump and bark we were to jerk the collar and say loudly his name and NO! We had to repeat it several times in the beginning. The collar digs in and is like a "Hey you" to the dog, and yelling NO means no! It does tame some time, but when he follows you to the door and sits, you reward him with a treat and tell him / her Good dog! It is training and will have to be repeated over and over again until the dog understands it.
My son has a very large Wimmerimer (spelling ?) that was impossible so he bought a shock collar. I'm not that fond of them, but it was the only way this hyper dog would get the message. We can now go over and not be knocked down. We also get to pet the dog and enjoy the big baby...... now that he has manners. It will take time, but a dog is not like things you buy at Walmart, its a living being that deserves to be loved, trained and will repay you in ways you will be more than pleased with.

Vivian

P.S. Our dog saved my daughter and my life when some nut case tried to break in our home. He died protecting us.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Nine Year Member

Thank you for the responses. As the agressiveness is a new behavior I wasn't sure if it was an Aussie trait or not. Our other dog doesn't do this and none of the dogs I've ever had did either with the exception of a German Shepard when I was a kid that hated AA men.

We are trying putting her in the cage for now when someone comes to the door. We do use a squirt bottle of water for barking and jumping when she wont stop after being told no then she stops, doesn't like being wet.

Roberta
Old 04-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I wasn't sure if it was an Aussie trait or not

That is a Aussie trait. They go from being protective to very over protective. Our Aussie didnt' do this but I have seen lots of Aussie that have. I would try to find a breeder or research Aussies to see if she can be trained out of this. Our neighbors couldn't break their Aussie. I know it was heartbreaking for them since thier Aussie turn so mean.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ye olde water trick :-)

Well, I have used water to train cats and the chahuahua, but not my bigger dogs. If it works GREAT! I wish y'all the very best as this breed does make great companions and is great with kids. They need a lot of play time so I hope if you or other family members can take an hour and reward your Aussie when she is good with play time it might help reinforce the desired behavior.
Our "Wizzard" had been so abuse it was hard to get him to settle in at first, but after positive reinforcement and LOTS of loving he made a wonderful pet. On of his annoying habits was to go for the "primary target" on any male that he felt was a threat. He broke one neighbor from just walking in our house unannounced. Only took Wizzard 3 times ;-) Somedays he was the dog we wanted to throttle and most days he was such a joy. I can't discribe the joy it is when you take in an animal that has been kicked, hit and starved and watch them turn from this growling bare teeth frightened animal into a loving and gentil (with us) member of the family.

Vivian