Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

allergies and dogs

we all have allergies and some people say one kind of dog is fine, while others say something else....does anyone have allergies and a so-called allergen free dog? Is it truly possible? What kinds of things should I be looking for. I would like to get a dog (that does not cost a lot) for my almost 11 year old daughter...she loves animals and after asking for several years and proving to look after fish, frogs etc. on her own and being very conscientious about their care, we feel it would be good for her for several reasons.....any comments would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Goria, although I am not happy that you have medical problems like this, it is nice to see that we are not the only ones!

Due to allergies & asthma, we have been told that we can only have pure bred dogs, preferably a poodle as they supposedly do not shed and are dander free.

A dog that I have heard great things about being great for people with allergies and/or asthma is a fairly new breed called a "Labradoodle".....a cross between a Lab and a poodle. I have asked our vet about it and she says that she thinks they are great for people with allergies/asthma. Though it really doesn't matter if we could have one or not since they are VERY expensive....WAY out of our price range.

You could check with your local huamen society and see about putting your name on a list to be called if they would ever have a poodle needing a home.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Goria...

There really is NO allergen free dog. There are dogs less prone to shed dander etc, than others.

DOG WORLD magazine, August 1998, "Keep Your Dog's Dander in Check" by W. Bradford Swift, DVM, p. 26-29

This article also dispels the myth of hypoallergenic dogs, but mentions that certain breeds (terriers, Poodles, Bichon Frise) are thought to produce less dander than other breeds. However, according to this article the allergic reactions to dogs depend more on size of the dog than on the breed. The bigger the dog is, the more dander it produces.

Environmental controls and dry skin in dogs are also discussed. Dry skin can result in irritation and itchiness in the pet, which in turn causes even more dander to be spread around. This article mentions several common causes of dry skin in dogs, including poor nutrition, lack or improper balance of essential fatty acids in the dog's diet, overbathing the dog or using a wrong kind of shampoo (e.g. human shampoos or using a medicated shampoo too frequently), not brushing the dog frequently enough to release more oil to the coat, and several medical reasons (e.g. various forms of mange, hormonal disorders, fleabite allergies, chronic bacterial dermatitis).

What they are saying here is that you have to feed the dog a premium food... like Hund n Flocken, Flint River Ranch, natural Balance, etc, not the supermarket brands which cause allergies to the dog, such as Old Roy and Purina , but that's another topic.

These are the most suitable dog breeds for allergic people...

* Basenji
* Bedlington Terrier
* Bichon Frise
* Irish Water Spaniel
* Italian Greyhound
* Kerry Blue Terrier
* Maltese
* Poodles
* Portuguese Water Dog
* Schnauzers
* Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Check with your allergist before purchasing or adopting a dog.
It wouldn't be fair to your daughter to get her a dog then have to take it away.. .it wouldn't be fair to the dog either...

Jeannie

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 03-13-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You might also check into breed rescue groups for dogs that are more "reasonably priced" if a regular pure bred is out of the question.

I have a Cornish Rex Cat that I have lived with dispite my asthma. I got her from a breeder- my sister loved the breed of cat but not the price.... so she lined up from one of the rescues the breeder had. She only paid for the vet bill and are "rehoming" fee (donation for the cause).

I have heard the other breed of dogs mentioned here are good options for allergy sufferers.

Good luck-
Old 03-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

allergy

Or take meds for the allergy and get the dog and not worry about getting a pure breed dog. My allergy is very bad and had it tested and very glad that dogs and cats where not one the cause of my allergy.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

First, Jeannie is 'RIGHT ON' with her information!

I have had two breeds that I've been able to live with quite well. The first was my Mini Schnauzer! I had NEVER allowed any of our dogs to be in my bedroom, but I slept with that little guy from day one!

The second is a dog I have now... 3/4 Toy Poodle and 1/4 Maltese. I don't think she's QUITE as allergen-friendly as the Schnauzer, but she's pretty close. I have to watch closely what she TRACKS in from outdoors... which is true for ANY dog. The schnauzer and poodle required REGULAR trips to the groomer, as MOST of these dogs require--that's something to consider!

I frequently dog-sat with a Lhasos Apso and a Bichon; both are excellent breeds for anyone who suffers with allergies...

The dogs we had that shed so badly were a Golden Retreiver, Alaskan Husky, and a Beagle... Oh, yes, and my son's golden lab was REALLY bad... I think a lot has to do with proper diet, regular shampooing, etc.

Blessings, Lyn from Florida
I'm so far behind, I'll live forever!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:19 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I jast wanted to say that having a purebred makes no difference at all. A purebred lab will cause you to sneeze and sniffle just as much as a mutt from the pound, or in the giveaway section of your local newspaper. Only the "alergy friendly" breeds that were mentioned above will benefit from being purebred, because they have less of a tendancy to shed or have dander. I had heard that poodles were the best, but my brother-in-law always has a problem with being oround those, too. His family just got a yellow lab and he just got his allergy meds adjusted, so he has no symptoms at all- even with the dog in his house 24/7.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi, Heres a site that may help you some.

http://members.aol.com/AHTerrier/allergies.html

also I have a friend who has a toy poodle and says its the only dog she has ever had that doesnt bother her dh,Im sure its different with everyone. Good luck
Hugs Sandie
Old 03-15-2005, 10:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb low allergen dogs

I noticed that you have left the Shih Tzu off your list of allergen free dogs. The Shih Tzu is known as nearly allergen free. They are a small breed but stocky enough to be around children. Excellent personalities etc.
Donna
Old 03-25-2005, 05:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier has worked well for my allergic daughter. Most dogs cause her a lot of misery - a chow puppy last week almost sent her to the hospital! Poodles don't bother her, either, or bichons. We haven't been exposed to the other dogs mentioned above. I never would have gotten a purebred dog, preferring mutts for many reasons, but for her severe allergies.

I would definitely have her rub her face in the dog before buying. Even though the dogs mentioned above are supposed to be hypo- or non-allergenic, you never know what will set your daughter off.

The nicest benefit is not having to clean up dog hair all the time! My own hair sheds more than the dog's! They're supposed to require intensive grooming, but we just keep his hair trimmed fairly short and never have to brush him, just a bath every now and then.