Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 04-13-2002, 05:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dogs

Does anyone out there have a cheap remedy for dogs with chronic ear problems? My dog is on daily antibiotics and steroids. She is an old ****erspaniel with long hairy ears. It is so humid down here (s.w.Louisiana) that her ears stay damp, and therefore covered with a sore rash. I've tried trimming the hair, I have even tried taping her ears to the top of her head (seriously). Nothing works. Any low cost ideas would be welcome. I am feeling the financial burden of all these drugs. (Oh she also takes a pain pill for bad days). Cost - about $65.00 per month!!!!
Please help.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:34 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Now I would call the vet and ask before you do this but I read on a board somewhere that hydrogen peroxide can actually help with ear infections in us humans.... . They say it can even prevent it if you have a bad cold and you use it. It may have been in Shawn's tips here or on another board. I'm sorry I can't remember it. You have to use just a little 3-4 times a day until the symptoms disappear. I'd say a week to 10 days for a dog. You might also call a breeder of the breed you have (****er?) and ask, sometimes they know all sorts of things that will help this or that cuz they have to deal with it too and usually on a budget.
Good luck.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle Dog Ear Infections

PrairieRose - Thank you so much for that idea. I had never ever thought of contacting a breeder, and that makes such perfect sense. Also, I will try the hydrogen peroxide. It is cheap and if it works, it will be a God-send. Poor dog runs and hides when she sees me holding anything that looks at all like medicine.
Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Every other day I clean my dogs ears out. I use Q-Tips and then I will take a damp rag and with my finger wipe her ears out even better.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle

my dh cleans the dogs' ears with his finger too...but he puts his finger in rubs it around really fast and they both love it...the young guy moans and groans they both think it's some neat- feeling game..

since the one dog's ear tends to get irritated and sunburned this process also proves to be an efficient way to put cream on too....no medication jitters

but they are both sheperds though so i think some people must have to use their pinkie

sure beats the old days when i used to chase dogs with my swab in hand..

carol