Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:03 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Our dog, Dioji, is a beagle mix(beagle size and shape, shepard markings). We got her because her previous owner's son developed a serious allergy to anything with fur! She'd been fixed and was up-to-date on her shots, and they even gave us the dog house, food bowls, toys, and two months worth of food! I was a little concerned about her not being used to a toddler--her previous "boy" was 5--but she has the most wonderful temperment! She's about 4 tears old--I think it's perfect! She's not hyper like a puppy, but still very active!

As far as shedding goes--I vaccuum her! It does a good job, and she loves it!

Hopefully, our next dog will be a Newfoundland, but that's waaaaay down the road from now!!
Old 03-22-2002, 07:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

We have a 4 yr old White GS and we love her. I saved her from the Humane Society, cause that is where she would have ended up if we hadn't taken her or worse someone would have mistreated her cause you need lots of patience with a young dog. We got her when she was 1 yr old, already had bad habits, but she is very intelligent and stubborn, but eventually learns!
Old 03-22-2002, 08:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There are so many kinds of dogs, and all have their own personalities and good traits. We have recently started working with a local rescue group, who rescues pets from the pound and any home that the pet can no longer stay in. We have fostered and found homes for two so far, that's just my family. The group has an Adopt-A-Pet most Saturdays now, and an average of 8 pets find homes each week. This is a great way to find a pet. Most of them have already been fixed, and some are housebroken, and all need love. Occasionally there are pure-bred pets that end up there, but the mixed breed pets are just as good. You can find out if the pet is good with kids, other animals, other people, etc. With our group you can even tell them what kind of dog you are looking for and they will let you know when they get one.

Good Luck to anyone looking for a pet.
http://www.petplacement.com/index.html

Grace: cat:
Old 03-30-2002, 06:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have 3 dogs. One is a bassett hound/golden retriever ( got as a puppy, she is now 12 ), another is a lab/collie ( also got as a puppy and is now 8 ), and the last is a dalmatian/greyhound ( got at 1 year old and she is now 6 ).
Old 04-01-2002, 07:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We had a Shih Tzu for almost 15 years and we had to put her to sleep. She was the joy of our lives, so we debated about what kind to get after we lost our little Muffin. We decided to get another Shih Tzu, she has been such a joy to my husband and I. She Is just like a little kid and fills the void after the loss of our Muffin. We love her very much and don't know what we would do without her. I would highly recommend a Shih Tzu If you want a very loving dog. Good Luck In what ever you decide.

Chubbins
Old 04-01-2002, 07:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I almost forgot to tell you that Shih Tzu dogs don't shed. They do have a problem with matting. We cut her hair down short for the summer and you don't have to worry about the hair matting, and she stays cool for the summer.

Chubbins
Old 04-10-2002, 04:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

just discovered this thread and enjoyed hearing all the stories and knowing there are so many wonderful dog owners here

we have two german shepherds...dina is 12 and is a resucue case i brought home 3 years ago....she'd been shut up in a one room place for 3 years....she was aggressive to strangers but so over-disciplined that she was absolutely obssessive about correct behaviour in the house...would skulk away if she thought she'd done somethinh wrong....also has atrophied tendons and arthritis and a dislocated vertebra

i loved her at first sight...

but later that year i thought her life expectancy was short and went and got a now 3 year old male in the hope she'd teach him some of her wonderful charms..

well dina is now on a non-steriod pain killer and anti-inflammatory and is like a big puppy....discipline is all shot and she is mischievious and naughty...she laughs and loves strangers and going in pet-friendly stores and is one of the daily joys of my life..

and remus, who she adopted on day one is a huge, goofy fool who thinks the world is a big playground...think of a 95 pound toddler....

i've had dogs all my life but these two have "got" to me like no others ever have...so i'll be looking at shepherds again when the time comes....

but i have to agree....they are a lot of work to train and care for and any dog owner has to make an informed choice and dedicated committment before getting a dog

carol
Old 04-18-2002, 08:27 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

What kind of Dog

Our dog is a hound mix. He has a beagle head, and the lean body of a greyhound type, and has the coloring like a shepard. I was told maybe a Tenn.Walker Coonhound as he was a rescued dog out of the Virginna area. He still is scared of everything and we have had him for three years now. But it was love at first sight at the shelter where we got him.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have 2 rottweilers. One is 10 months old and pushing over 100 pounds and a 10 week old that we got from the local animal shelter. We also have a ??mutt??? that we found on our front door step in the snow. We let her in and she's been with us ever since...she's small, about 20 pounds. We really like our rottweilers. Once you get through the puppy stage it's not bad at all. In fact our 10 month old is really great with the kids and has already settled down as far as the hyper puppy stage. I have a 7 year old boy and a 2 year old little girl and he is great with both of them and our other dogs. So, if you are looking for a big dog and have time to spend with him/her, I like the rottweilers. That's just my opion, we've had serveral other breads also, but I really like the rottweilers...
Old 04-18-2002, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Seashell....*s*

I'm sure your rotties are wonderful...but do not give the impression that rotties and this type of working dog is a fluff to have around...they aren't....You are very lucky in the sense that it seems your dogs do not have the drives that make them working dogs... Please heed what I am saying... Working dogs are just that.....they are for experienced handlers....that is not to say they don't make good family dogs....but they must all be obedienced trained... I am not a novice at this ...I've trained dogs for all purposes for over 25 years......be really careful with kids that visit....dogs are playful and loving ..but very protective of their own kids..even with other kids...and in this lies the liability of a dog bite or worse...be careful......this is true of ALL dogs....big and small......

Jeannie