Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

There are positive and negatives to every dog. First, there is no such thing as a dog that doesn't shed. There is one breed that looks like a chihuahua with hardly no hair (I can't remember its name), but even it sheds. Second, short haired dogs do not necessarily shed less. My Great Dane was the worst shedder I ever had and when he was still alive I had a german sheppard/husky mix (long hair)(he also has passed on) and the two I still have: a rottweiler (2nd worst shedder I've ever had) and a collie mix (long hair). We solve the shedding thing by brushing them once a day about 5min. I have brushes for every member of the family. My husband assists my 19mth old daughter and I monitor my three year old daughter. Third, small dogs and children do not always make the perfect pair. Small dogs are more likely to be scared by loud noises and high activity, which seems to be the definition for children, than medium or large dogs and more dogs bite(snap,nip) out of fear than aggressiveness. Also, small breeds can be injured very easily by being picked up wrong or stepped on or run over by fast moving children. Some great dogs for families are retrievers (long hair, but eager to please, loyal, and very loving) labs (shedders,high energy when young, mellows with age, eager to please, loving) hounds (loving, eager to please, but do need fenced in yard when outside due to hunting instinct). Check out the local SPCA or Humane Society. Sorry this is so long,but one more tip:My Great Dane was a slobberer, so I use to loop a kitchen towel through his collar, that way no matter who he went to love on they always had a towel to wipe his face with first. Worked like a charm. Good luck finding another fourlegged friend!
Old 02-13-2002, 06:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sorry I'm late on this subject:

But I didn't see any mention of a Pug!!! I have 4 children, and I find a pug a WONDERFUL family dog. They do shed though, but they have a great temperment, love to be with people, and make a great little lap dog!!!

Jenl
Old 02-13-2002, 10:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Y'all....*s*

Puppies chew because they are teething, they also chew to explore things since they don't have hands, they use their mouths.......and when they get older they chew because they are bored. Give pups good chew toys, and replace the thing they shouldn't be chewing....say...Not for puppies!....then give them what they can chew. Obedience training eleviates a lot of problems... *g*

Ummm...I think the breed Elg was thinking of was a Mexican hairless, a delicate creature. My personal view is, if you aren't willing to put up with shedding, ( remember we shed too, hair and skin!)..then perhaps a dog isn't for you... Dogs that have minimal shedding are usually a grooming responsiblility...that means monthly visits to the groomer and those visits can be costly month after month.

A dog is a financial and emotional responsibility. You have to care for it for as long as it lives, that means feeding, brushing, bathing, nail cutting, teaching obedience, walking, playing and loving the critter for as long as it lives...which can be 17 years!

My point is, that animals are not disposable commodiites like tissues. If you are not committed to giving long term PROPER care, then please do not get a living pet companion. Stuffed toys don't eat or drink, poop or pee, and they don't have to go out in inclement weather, and don't interrupt you for attention, they dont get sick and they don't require a monetary outlay or emotional involvement or responsibility.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I haven't read all of these so pardon me if I repeat someone else's suggestion. I don't know how old your dks are? But I have had two poodles in my lifetime, the first when I was 9 and my dh bought me another after the first past for mother's day 4 years ago. I can't say enough about them they are wonderful pets. Skeeter is really good with my dks 11 & 7, he plays with them and if they start fighting he gives it his all to give them a good chewing out (bark) to make them behave, too funny to see. He is definatley MY dog but that is because I am home with him all day and baby him to death. But make no mistake he has put all of his 5 lbs into protecting the dks when he thought they were in danger from someone else on more than on occasion. They are a very easy dog to love and baby, my dh says he'll never get me another because Skeeter is so spoilt. Dh often feels Skeeter gets more attention than he does, but I can't help it he's my smoochie poochie. They are 2nd on the list of the most intelligent dogs according to the animal planet.

Just in case you were curious #1 was a border collie. I have had a collie as a kid too. And she was the best, very smart, very protective and she was also great with my younger cousins that would visit awww she really loved them to come and visit her. Down of having a collie is sometimes size, and they shed. I would suggest a border collie for size but they are VERY active dogs, so they would need a some what large place/yard to run and burn some energy.
My real secnd suggestion is a ****er spaniel. I had one of those too as a kid. She was very loyal and very protective of me as at that time I was 6 or so and can remember her growling and going crazy in the yard if a stranger as much as walked down the street and I was in the yard. The down side to a ****er is they often have to have surgery on their eyes (Not that expensive though) and you have to really watch their ears from getting infected. Just really basic maintance on the ears, an easy trade off for a great family pet.
Good luck on your decision and I hope you find the right breed dog for you. We have in the past had to get rid of too many dogs making the mistake of getting the wrong one for us. It is heart breaking having to find them new homes. We have Skeeter now and we know he is perfect for us and will have him for as long as he lives. And now matter what DH says if anything every does make us get another I know that we will get another poodle. Cuz in secret DH loves Skeeter too, he just don't like to let us see him pet and love and help him on the bed at night to sleep with us.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

chuckle Mr Jiggs ( here Maggie... )

Have I got a dog ? Sometimes I think he's a kid in a dog suit. He is a Pug. He is too big ( 23lbs ) and the wrong color ( black and silver brindle - not even mentioned in the book ) to be shown. He will be 10 years old May 1st. He and DS are snoozing buddies. When I came home from the hospital he sniffed me then went looking through the apartment for Sean who was still in the NICU. Once Sean did come home he put his head over the edge of the carrier as if to say "there you are!". He'll also lay close enough to Sean to allow him to kick his back to scratch it! DS just cracks up when he sees him. He is named after a comic strip character, and like his namesake, loves cornbeef and cabbage and is always in trouble ( then when he pouts he sticks that rubbery black lower lip out ). You can have staring contests with him and he'll dance with you. He'll yodel for food too! He even would stare at DH or get between us when we were courting.

Last edited by BLTN_Mom; 02-18-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The Chinese Crested ( except the 'Powder Puff' ) and the Mexican Hairless are toy breeds with hair on the head, tails and feet. They may require a moisturizer and a sunscreen if the skin gets dry and they get out in the sun...

Old 02-22-2002, 11:10 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have 2 dogs...A 10 month old Black lab named Max...GREAT DOG! He is so good with the kids....and our other dog! She is a 4 month old cross...dachsund, sheltie and chiuaua(sp). Cute and Tiny, Cute and Tiny!! She's all black with a tip of white on her tail. She is a little hyper, but rarely nips at the kids. Generally, she is a good puppy. Our black lab loves her...we bring him in the house(since he's our outside dog) and they play together very well. They have since the day they first met!

Kim
Old 03-05-2002, 06:26 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have had a few dogs during the 25 years that we've been married and raised our family. About 6 months ago we had to have our beloved 12 yr. old min. schnauzzer put to sleep due to age related illnesses. She was a darling friend for all of those years and raised our kids! She was a bit on the hyper side in the beginning but most puppies are until they get out of "that" stage. We've also had 1/2 border collie- 1/2 australian shepard mix that was a peach....she lived (exclusively on leftovers...wouldn't touch dog food!) for 18 yrs. . Couldn't have had a better dog. We now have a 5 month old poodle girl. I had a poodle as a kid and when we were first married and have always wanted another one. She's been a real joy to my husband and myself since our nest became empty before we got her. Poodles have a very cheerful personality, are extremely smart (2nd only to the australian shepard according to the American Kennel Club), loyal, loving, friendly (IF you socialize them early and properly), and playful. Of all the dogs we've ever had I prefer the poodle personality above all. Good luck on your quest for the perfect dog...the secret lies in research and training....!
Old 03-05-2002, 06:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have an 11 year old mixture. He was a stray that showed up in our yard when he was 8-9 months old. He had been shot in his hip with a pellet gun. We took him to the vet, and he didn't charge us full price because we were helping a stray. He was so sweet, and no one ever claimed him, so we kept him. The vet thinks he is a mixture of german shepherd (face), chow (tongue), retriever (hair), and no telling what else. My husband had a dream that the dog told him his name was Jake, so that's what we called him. He really loves the cold weather, because he has so much hair. He loves when any of the neighborhood dogs get loose. They always come to our yard, and we put them in the fence for a while to play. He's a very friendly people dog.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Havent read everything, but have to jump in and tell you about Besitos. she is my little Cocapoowawa (****er, poodle and chiwawa) Now Shhh! she doesnt know she is a dog. And yes she is very spoiled. She is my baby girl weighing in at about nine pounds (about 2 pounds too much) Cant get those two pounds off though. She loves kids, crys when they do, begs to go see them on the street - but I still do not recommend little dogs for little ones. they are little and there only defense to lil fingers and clumbsy feet is to snap. She is a love and so entertaining to me. Besitos knows when bedtime is and comes to get me, she is jealous of the computer and anyone who gets more attention from me, and she prefers broccoli to doggie food. Oh yea also allergic to corn and only eats the ice cream near the cone because she loves the cone. I oculd go on and on. Doggie people are a lifetime committment of caring and love. Someone told me that if something happened to me they would have to put Besitos to sleep - they just dont understand its the other way around. I cant imagine life without her.