Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

......I have 100lb black lab and she lives indoors!!!I have to agree though with the tail thing! We just have to be more careful where we set things. She did great though at Christmas. I half expected to come home everyday and find my Christmas tree in the floor, but it never happened.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing By the way, I do have a dog too LOL

I almost forgot...I do have a dog, too! She's a Husky (brown eyes not blue) and she is GORGEOUS. She's a big baby. When we first got her, she was very destructive if kept in a confined area while we were gone anyplace. Now that she has the run of the entire house, she doesnt touch a thing! We've been really blessed by her. She's very loving and affectionate, and I love the way Husky's "TALK" rather than bark. Just braggin' a bit
Old 01-18-2002, 09:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Re: Just Say No to Bichon Frise lol

>>I would not recommend a Bichon if you have kids, unless you take the time to have it trained correctly.

~I would say this about any dog.

>>The lady I work for has one, and he is 2 & out of control. Always nipping on people, and howling at the slightest noise. He bites or chews everything (including people) and is generally the most annoying dog I have ever met. Jumps up on everyone it sees, then proceeds to chew them to death.

~This sounds like a lack of training to me, though I'm no expert. I know that our Bichon and none others I have met were anything like that. It was, in fact, the best dog we ever had. The training has a *lot* to do with it, though! He was so gentle and patient with children, and such a great dog!

>>She has also told me this is a high-maintenance breed; it does not like to be left alone & therefore is even MORE destructive.

~Again, that wasn't our experience. Our dog definately *loved* people, and we were told that Bichon meant "French lap dog." VERY true! A great little loving dog. We always left our dogs in the house when we left, and nothing was ever out of place or mangled when we got home. But we did not get him as a pup either. He was my best friend!!
Old 01-19-2002, 07:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing DEFINITELY lack of training...

I agree...with training, any dog can be the best pet. Its a shame they never trained the Bichon, because he has the most adorable face I've ever seen...looks like Snoopy but with white ears, LOL. But without the training, he has gotten out of control. He has bitten people to the poiont they went to the E.R. - someone (a friend of theirs) even gave thema Hollywood Dog Training set, complete with videos, books, etc., and she threw it away, saying her dog is fine. HELLO??? lol. But I suppose you're right...without training, ANY dog would become a nuisance. I stand (or sit LOL) corrected.
Old 01-19-2002, 05:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

what kind of dog

I have 5 kids, one away at college, the youngest is 5. We have had different kinds of dogs over the years, my favorite is the miniature schnauzer. They do not shed, most have minimal dog odor, and are about the right size for the young toddlers. Of course any puppy will need to be watched very closely for the first few months until the puppy and toddler get to know the rules.
You can keep the schnauzer groomed in the typical schnauzer cut, or let it grow. They are lively and some need a little more patience with the training.
Check around to get a good background, but not from someone "out of town" where you can't check out their home. The best pets come from home, family raised dogs. We even found one at the pound once, and he was a real good dog, house trained already and everything.
Good Luck, Grace

http://www.angelfire.com/my/artsandcrafts
Old 01-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

About getting a dog ....
First let me say, that if and when you get a pup depends on how much time you have to spend with it. A pup is like a baby, it needs to be toilet trained...and it needs house manners...what I am trying to tell you is that a dog MUST be obedience trained. Obedience training solves a lot of the problems associated with unwanted and unacceptable behavior.

The breed of dog depends on what you want from the dog.
Children also MUST be taught to respect the dog. The dog has a right to have a place to call his own and be left alone. I don't recommend a dog until the youngest is able to understand that the dog is not a toy.

When picking a pup, if you don't know how to temperament test one, find someone that does, tell him what you want from the pup and then go with his suggestion. A lab or golden is usually the dog of choice with young kids.

Budget has a lot to do with the breed of choice as well. There are some breeds that require a lot of grooming expense, some spend more time in vet's offices than others... You must consider all of these factors before you even look for a pup. Remember, they are living breathing animals, and you take on a responsibility for the life of the animal. They are not something to dispose of like used diapers. If that sounds harsh, well then good. I've worked with dogs for over 25 years. I've trained for that many years....for money yes, and many were done for free as well as service dogs.

If you don't know how to pick a dog, I suggest you go to a reliable trainer and ask for help. If you can't afford a quality pure-bred, then as the trainer to help you even at the pound. It's worth the fee he asks for the assistance.

My own personal choice is a German Shepherd. They are NOT for everyone, neither are Rotties or Boxers. IF you are not well versed in dog breeds, then go to someone that is. It will save you money and heartache down the road.

Old 01-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Froggy
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dogs

If you are looking for a dog that doesn't shed, I can recommend Miniature Schnauzers. They are very protective, mature fast, great lap dog, and do well with children when they are brought up around children. I would recommend getting a puppy, not over 3 months old, if children are involved. I own 3 of them, the mother, the father and a son from their first litter. I have 4 very active grandchildren that visit quite often and the only one that gets upset with them is the mother that I didn't acquire until she was a year old. The other two males are quite patient with the grandkids. I also have a 1/2 black lab, 1/2 sharpei (outside dog) that absolutely adores children and hates strange adults. I think a lab would be great with children but would shed and need room to run. Actually, come to think of it, the best dog we ever had was a mutt. When my husband left for Nam and I was expecting our first child, he slept in bed with me, when our son was born, he started sleeping under the crib, when my husband returned, he returned to being a normal dog, protecting all of us. He was with us for 17 wonderful years and he never harmed any human, young or old.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have to agree with Jeannie. Picking a pet is a serious matter. I have seen alot of pets abandoned and/or mistreated because people think its a novelty to have a pet, and the novelty wears off. I see this a lot after the holidays. Puppies are adorable, but remember puppies become adult dogs!! My pets are members of my family. I treat them like my children. They are fed and groomed and played with, and they are disciplined and loved.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pembrook Welsh Corgi!

There are tons of sites listing dog breeds; you could always take one of those assesments to see which one is a good match for your family. But I have to give my vote for a Pembrook Welsh Corgi as a good family dog. They're terrific with children. Mine is great with my two year old son. They aren't very big (27 lbs is what the have listed for a full grown corgi, but mine is smaller than that). They look like a cross between a fox and a dauchund (really cute IMHO). I had read that they don't shed too much, but they go through a week of shedding when changing coats. They also aren't droolers. Good luck with your dog search.
Old 01-30-2002, 03:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle I have a Giant Schnauzer

I love my Giant. Her name is Princess Gretl Vom Kaiserhof.
She is black and weighs about 65 lbs. Greta is the best dog. She is great with kids, you can rough house with her and she can handle it. She loves the kids and will come running if they are yelling for her when they're father starts tickling them. I know beyond a shadow of doubt she would give her life trying to rescue or defend her family. People are afraid of her because she looks intimidating but she is a good girl. Giant Schnauzers were raised as police dogs in Germany. The Giant does not shed but you have to get their hair cut about every 6-8 weeks. She can be costly that way. But if you want a very smart dog, stubborn but smart, she is the type of dog you want. I would get another giant over any other dog. I grew up with poodles and they are great with kids too. Of course I would not recommend a small poodle with small children. I would not recommend any small dog with very young children. The dogs are easily hurt and could bite out of fear or just a reaction when they're hurt. They're dogs and it doesn't matter what kind you have any of them can be aggressive or make a mistake and bite in reaction to being hurt. Lab's are supposed to be good dogs too, but my son was attacked by a Lab when he was 15 months old. So you can't always tell just by the breed. When you go to pick your pup play with all the puppies for a while, get a feel for them, lay the puppy on it's back, the one that is really fiesty and aggressive is probably the one to stay away from. The puppy that allows you to lay it on it's back with out a lot of fight is the better pup to pick if you don't want an aggressive dog. The one that fights/bites and tries aggressively to roll back over is the one that is more likely to try to be the leader of the pack (so to speak). He will be more of a challenge and be more aggressive with the children. I'm sure that does not apply all the time, but that is what I read when I was trying to pick my dog out.