Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Adopting a dog

Let's see, we've had a few dogs over the years. Now we have a mini poodle named Bebe and he is the love of my life. He also loves everyone back. Don't be afraid of poodles with children, they can be wonderful. Remember, this will be your dog and you will set the parameters. Poodles are great because they are extremely intelligent and they don't shed!!! Yeah!

Last November we lost our other dog, she was an Australian Shepard. She was 18 and the most wonderful companion. She shed like crazy but they are probably the best dog for children by far. If I were you I would stay away from Golden Retreivers, because of their popularity the past 20 years they have been overbred and now there are major problems with that breed. I have even known a Golden to attack, which was unheard of. The only way I would get a Golden is if I personally knew the breeder and was sure of their breeding practices.

Years ago we also had a Lhasa Apso, he was a wonderful dog too. Very good with kids and better than most small dogs with very young children as they are a much sturdier pup than you would expect under alll of that hair! They can take a lot of abuse, but they need a lot of care.

For my money and for companionship I'd go for the poodle if you are set on a small dog....they cost much less than a Bichon or a Lhasa and they haven't been overbred as they are not the "in" dog of the moment. If you are looking for a real companion dog and a watchdog for the kids I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an Aussie. Our Aussie even used to "herd" the kids in the backyard.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:27 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I would not recommend a Llasa Apso. They were actually originally bred as a Chinese guard dog. We had one when I was in high school and he definitely had a temper. With younger kids I would be very afraid they would attack when teased (as kids do). I know 2 other people who currently have Llasa Apsos....one actually has a beware of dog sign at her house and seriously means it!

The Bishon or poodle would be a good choice.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lhasa

This just goes to illustrate the point that you need to be the master of the dog. Any dog can be trained to behave the way you wish. Our Lhasa had been a 'show dog' and was very well trained and I can honestly say I never saw him bare his teeth or so much as snarl at anyone, ever. I will relate a story though about a neighbor's Lhasa that my daughter was playing with, he nipped her very near her eye once. Children should be told (over and over!) never to get eye level with a dog of any breed. After all, they are animals. That's not to say that all Lhasa's are this way. Our Tony had a sweet disposition. His only annoying habit was snoring. He would actually prop himself up in the corner of the sofa and snore while sleeping. Sometimes I would wake him as it was a bit hard to hear the television! At the time we had Tony my three kids were all under 7.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had a Bichon growing up and would highly recommend one. Actually, when we were looking for dogs this last time, I was secretly hoping to get another. Most of the other Bichon's we "met" while I had my dog *loved* children too! Ours was very tame and NEVER snipped at anyone, and he was the best lap dog in the world! He always made you feel better just by being there.

Right now we have an Australian Shepherd/Retriever mix dog and she is still a puppy. She is pretty good with children, though VERY hyper! (She's still a puppy so I expect she will grow out of it.)

About the Bischon, I would get another in a heartbeat. The down side was that we had to have ours groomed, which adds up. My parents never did figure out how to clip him, which they did with all our other dogs.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:25 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi-
I own a Bichon Frise boy who is 7, and a shih tzu / maltese mix who is 3 months old. I would reccomend both to anyone who wants a small, sturdy little dog that will pretty much love anyone. They love to play and run around. They are both cuddly and sweet as well.

My main reccomendation would be to chec with rescues before buying a dog. Check into Small Paws rescue, they work mostly with Bichons, but they also get other types of small dogs as well.
Please, do yourself and the dogs a favor and thoroughly check into the breeder if you do decide to go with a breeder. Also, please don't patronize stores who sell dogs. They will tell you that the conditions they are brought up in are clean and sanitary, but the dont tell you the puppies mommy has probably not seen grass, let alone played since she was a pup herself, and that diseases and defects are costly to check for- therefore not always done.
There are many reasons.

Do what you feel is right, and all will be great!
I think you would be very happy with a little bichon!
Old 01-18-2002, 08:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How about a Greyhound?

We adopted a Greyhound about 3 years ago, her name is Jenny (track name Jim B Venus). She is the sweetest thing you'll ever meet! I have 2 boys, 5 & 12. She is awesome with my kids. I do know, however, someone who has a Greyhound who is pretty grouchy, even to visitors. Before I adopted her, the agency asked lots of questions such as do I have kids, etc., to match us with the right one. We had a choice of sex, size and temperment but not a choice of color (she's brindle and beautiful!) Each Greyhound has a totally different personality, so it totally depends on what you need. They call Greyhounds 45 mph couch potatoes and oh boy is that the truth! She sheads a little more than I thought she would but it's short and easy to vacuum up.

Well, there's my 2 cents! BTW, I'm new here!
Old 01-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Welcome Tamijb...looks like there are alot of us new neighbors! It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.....

It has been my experience working in the pet clinic, that as long as you establish with your pet that you are the ALPHA dog, there are many breeds that are wonderful companions. Also remember that no matter what breed or size pet you have, you have to teach your children the proper way to handle your pet. Most pets that bite are fear biters. With a little caution and patience you can teach your children and your pets to respect and love each other.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:34 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have known 3 different people with bichons, and they all say the same thing: They are EXTREMELY difficult to housebreak. But I also hear they are cuddly little pets. I have to say, there is a good reason laborador retrievers are the #1 pet in this country - they just go well with families, no matter what. They do shed, though, and they can get pretty big (ours is 90 lbs., which is why he lives outside - one sweep of his tail clears the deck of objects on the coffee table and small children!). HOwever, we have a sheltie for an indoor dog, and you can't find fault with her, either. She is extremely gentle, eager to please, and watches over my children like a good babysitter. She doesn't shed, but once a year in the summer she 'blows coat', which means for about a week, you have to brush and brush to clear out all the undercoat that builds up during the winter. If you don't do this, they won't shed, but will become very matted. But, since she is so manageable, this is a job that my pre-teen boys take turns doing outside for me during that week to earn extra money!
Old 01-18-2002, 06:44 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Just Say No to Bichon Frise lol

I would not recommend a Bichon if you have kids, unless you take the time to have it trained correctly. The lady I work for has one, and he is 2 & out of control. Always nipping on people, and howling at the slightest noise. He bites or chews everything (including people) and is generally the most annoying dog I have ever met. Jumps up on everyone it sees, then proceeds to chew them to death. She has also told me this is a high-maintenance breed; it does not like to be left alone & therefore is even MORE destructive. Lhasa's are very nice, or Maltese. But the Bichon...I would think twice.
Old 01-18-2002, 06:54 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mumzy
ours is 90 lbs., which is why he lives outside - one sweep of his tail clears the deck of objects on the coffee table and small children!
LOL! I just had to laugh at this. When I was a teenager I remember a friend of mine having the same problem with their golden. WONDERFUL dog, but boy that tail!!

LOL

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda