Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:59 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Cats and ringworm

My DD brought two kittens home. They are very adorable, and I was hoping to be able to keep them.

Only problem is they had fleas like you would not believe. I think we have cleared up the fleas.

But, I heard that animals can get ring worm from so many fleas. I was wondering if any one else has ever heard this?

The reason I am worried about is because I also heard that when an animal has ring worm they will lose their fur at those spots. These kittens are losing their fur at these spots.

Is it possible that they are just losing their fur from fighting with each other. Or maybe from the treatments we used to get rid of the fleas. Or is this most likely ring worm?

Please tell me it isn't!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Have these kittens been checked by a Vet? If they have fleas/worms it will kill them.

Please, for the health of these adorable kitties, give them the medical care they need.

Fleas will suck their blood, they can die from this. Hopefully, you will alter them and they will be indoor companion pets.

Let us know.

Jennifer
Veterinary Internal Medicine & Oncology
Old 09-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ringworm is no big deal. It's just a skin fungus, and the vet can treat it. If you have caught it from them, then your doctor can treat you for it, too.

But the **big** thing is, to iterate what ILoveMyDobes said, take them to a vet - right now!

They need their distemper shots, they need rabies shots, and they need to be checked for Feline Immune Virus, Feline Leukemia Virus and several other viral diseases that can be prevented by immunizations.

If they have worms, fleas or any infections, they must get proper treatment or they can die! The only way you will know some of this is for a vet to examine them.

They also need to be neutered - unless you are enamoured of being in the business of finding decent homes for one kitten after another!!

So, get thee to a vet - tomorrow! That's the first place I take any new animal in our home.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-30-2004, 05:43 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I use to be a licensed veterinary technician in California. You need to get those kittens to the vet. The fleas will infest your house and yard. Fleas breed and lay their eggs in carpet and furniture and dirt. If you see one flea you have 1,000. They are quite a battle to get rid of. You have to treat the animal,house and yard. and more then once. Ringworm, yes, its probably real likely. They need to go to the vet. There are other considerations too. they need vaccinations, spaying/neutering, they need to be tested for feline leukemia because if they have it its deadly to them, they could and most likely have intestinal parisites,(tapeworm) I know kittens are real cute but they are quite the responsibility. I am a real hard nose when it comes to people not taking adequate care of their animals. You need to get them to the vet. And yes, ringworm is highly contagious to your family. You can get rid of it easy enough, but you have to treat the kittens too. Again, take them to the vet. Hope I was helpful to you. Jackie
Old 10-01-2004, 07:48 AM
Head Moderator

I just read the other posts and the best advice is yes; take them to the vet right away! Without a knowlegeable person seeing what the problem is you may be wasting precious time for these kittens. You've taken the time to take them in so please drop everything and get them to a vet right away. There are numerous tests that need to be done to have them throughly checked for various things that can be treated if caught early enough. Guess you can tell I've got cats and other animals. I've brought home numerous throw away animals and the only thing to insure their health is a vet checkup right away. They could also have things that can be passed on to other cats that they could possibly have and usually can be treated for early. I've had to have numerous of these poor animals put down because by the time I found them it was too late to recover for them. So please go now! Thanks for taking them in.