Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-02-2004, 04:27 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Barking

My 5 1/2 month old Husky/Shepard mix, Kita has a strange habit. Every night she goes on a barking spree, usually directed at my DH. She will just sit and bark at him. It drives us CRAZY!!! I don't know if its a jealousy issue (she is definitely mommys dog) or if she wants to play? She has done this from day 1. We have tried to ignore her, but it can go on for over an hour! I have been told it's the Husky in her, they are barkers? Does anyone have any ideas as to why she might be doing this or what we should do to stop it? We can't even hear the TV or hold a conversation!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too have a Shepard/Husky mix. She talks all the time. They are very vocal animals. Our "Stella" barks incessently like that whenever we have company and they get ready to leave. When they stand up she starts in. I think they want attention. That is probably what your dog is doing to your husband. She or he must want his attention and wants him to play. I've always been amazed about the husky communication techniques. I think they're great.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

barking dog

I have a Husky and he does not bark he talks not like us but in his own special wa. I also have 2 one year olds in a dog run outside and they bark Not sure at what but they bark sometimes in the early morning (2:30-3:00) and we have been ticketed for it and have to go to court and pay $100.00 for them barking. I am not sure what your pup could be barking at, maybe it is that she needs all of your attention.
Destyne 01/18/97

Old 09-09-2004, 08:11 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for your replies. Kita is very vocal and like you said, Kathee, she "talks" all the time. She talks to her toys, to the cat, the Riley (our other dog). I guess this is a trait we will just have to adjust to. For the past few nights my DH has made her come lie down next to him when she stars and it helps a little. Oh well, we love her anyway! As for your troubles, dakaremom, I'm glad she doesn't bark when she's outside like that! I imagine if I left her out she would let me know she wasn't happy about it though! She's very spoiled. LOL
Old 09-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

stacik

most behavioral problems disappear once they have been obedience trained.....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello Jeannie!

I haven't had a chance to thank you for the wonderful tips you gave me for teaching me how to make my dog walk on her leash. She is a pleasure to walk now...and get this..when my runner took off today, we hopped in the van, she came over to it and waited till I got the door open for her. So now I am not running by foot anymore trying to catch her, and she came when we told her " IN"
We still have a way to go...but she is so much better.

Take care,
JanetM.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janet..
Glad to hear it.. *s*

ok now that you have the dog walking and paying attention..what do you want to teach next?

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-10-2004, 10:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We have a Siberian who has the tendency to "talk" to us If he is aware you are addressing him he will almost carry his own side of the conversation. As always training will solve any behavorial problem, if that actually is the problem, but sometimes I feel it is just human misunderstanding or intolerance. Our dogs (3) are not real problems however---Except when they are left outside in the yard when we are away for a while. When we drive up in the car they let everyone in the two block area know that their favorite humans have come home. Once we speak to them getting out of the car everything returns to normal. But myhusband and I are both disabled and at home a lot so we do spend a lot of quality time with them. The husky almost always gets his fair share of wrestling chasing and cuddling by the humans... But he always seems to think that when we hug each other he should be in the same hug so he jumps up and joins in. My husband wrestles him on the bed but when he gets too rowdy all the husband does is "Sssh.... Ssshhhh.", shush him and pet him gently until he calms down. We started this a long, long time ago when he was just a pup so he got used to it early. Although I have to admit that he doesn't really bark--much. Most of the time it's a "Wooo.... Wooo!.." And we often call him just that. I don't know if this helps at all, but thought I'd just put this down anyway. I know we are lucky in that we are capable of spending the time with our animals that most people only dream of...
Old 09-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Jeannie, don't laugh but is my dog suppose to walk on my right side or left? Also at times when she walks she like to criss-cross in front of me.Any suggestions appreciated.

Janet
Old 09-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You need to pick the side most comfortable for you..

Dogs on the left came about because most people are right handed and most police and military wear sidearms on the right, thus having easy access to their weapons.

In KNPV training the dog is taught to walk and do commands from either side...

The AKC likes the traditional left side ....as does Schutzhund ...

If you are on a leisurely walk, where your dog is allowed to sniff, and by the way, that's how they know what's happened in an area,, they a slack lead is used and the dog can go right and left.

However, if at anytime you want the dog to walk on one particular side, as soon as he starts the crossover, say NO or Phooie as you bring him BEHIND you to the side you wish.

The key to obedience whether it be canine or child is one magic word....and that is CONSISTENCY then followed by practice...... do the same thing all the time to the same command.

If you want to know if your training has taken hold, play with the dog and then somewhere in the midst of playing, throw in the command, for instance, Sit!.... see what happens....*g*