Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 09-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Great Tips Jeannie...you should put out a book, or do you already have one?

DID YOU KNOW?

Cost of raising a medium-size dog to the age of eleven: $6,400.

So does a large dog cost 1/2 again as much?

janet
Old 09-12-2004, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member

Before I moved to Florida I had a large yard and a German Shepard dog. I always used a small bell to call her in. When she was at the Vets when I was on vacation they told me she had taken off under the fence. Had given him the bell to use in case of emergency, he rang it and she came back. She was the only one in all the years that had ever escaped.
_______
Sueanne

Old 09-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janet.. a book? Unless you are experienced, a book is just a guideline, an overview... it is not a substitution for hands on with a trainer.
There are so many moves a timing issues you can't write directions for.. or if you do, it would take several pages...

It's like giving you a book to learn how to drive and expect you to be able to drive the vehicle after reading it.... see what I mean?

Training technique depends on the individual dog... a trainer adjusts lessons for each dog..... that's why just book training, unless you have good canine insight and have had training experience, is not a very good idea. There are exceptions to every rule, however...

Consistency and timing go hand in hand.. and timing is not easy to teach right off the bat. You will learn much more being with me in 5 minutes, observing and doing, than 2 hours of reading.

As to cost... yes it can cost that and more.

An adult German shepherd can go through about a 40 lb bag of high quality dog food, such as Flint River Ranch , a month. Then consider the cost of biannual visits to the vet....vaccination that are due, kennel runs, outdoor shelter, ....toys, crates, cages mattresses...leashes collars, training aids...formal training, and traveling to shows or trials, it can be expensive and that's if your dog is healthy... Get one that has medical problems you can really go into quite a bit of money.... Now mulitiply this by 5-6 dogs..if you are breeding or titling multiple dogs.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-12-2004, 06:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Too bad we live so far away Jeannie...I would pay you to train me.

Love Janet
Old 09-12-2004, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janet... that wouldn't be necessary.. all you'd have to do
is bring your dog, a leash and collar.. and we'll both work our
dogs... that's how you learn... by doing..

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-15-2004, 11:25 AM

Wow! A german shephard goes through 40 lbs. of dog food a month?

I have a german shephard/akita, a chihuahua/terrier and a daschund/beagle mix and all 3 eat 1 22 lb. bag of dog food a month and the doxie is overweight! We do give people food, sparingly... each night they get 12 oz. of tuna split between the three of them (spring water tuna) and of course, dog biscuits. 40 lbs. a month sounds like alot of food.

Anna
Old 09-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Anna..

My shepherd's average weight is 95 lbs..they were large dogs.
and, they were worked every day. A 40 lb bag of dog food
has 160 cups in it... Let's take my male.. he would eat about 2 cups in the morning...and about 2 at night, sometimes more, sometimes less... So I averaged it out so that I do not run out of food, because I fed/feed a super premium food... and Ihave to order it.

There for when you have 6-8 dogs that are large, I always figured 1 bag per dog ... and this way I didn't run out of food.
Here is the feeding recommendation:

Feed your dog once or twice a day. Have plenty of fresh water available. Food requirements vary depending on climate, breed of dog and exercise activity. Feed an amount that will maintain you dog's weight. Following are suggested amounts:

Dog Weight Food per Day
10-15lbs 0.6 to 1.0 cup
20-30lbs 1.0 to 1.5 cups
40-50lbs 2.0 to 2.2 cups
60-70lbs 2.5 to 3.2 cups
80-90lbs 3.5 to 4.2 cups
>100lbs 4.0 to 5.0 cups

Feeding amounts depends on activity

Old 09-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna & A Question For Jeannie

Anna,

I have a greyhound/bordercollie mix & another bordercollie mix. They eat about 30 lbs a month.

They both eat 1 cup a day, 2x a day. So 4 cups in 1 day for both dogs. My dogs love Iams, mini chunks....I tried other dog foods like Science diet, and they hated it...I think they just like the mini nuggets..(about the size on M&M's) lol
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeannie's Question....my mom has a doxie, and whenever I go to visit he is so excited to see me,and I talk to him, he always pees on my foot...and he has been out...then if I go and do something else and come back and speak to him again..he will pee again...

Now, is this just submissive act? or marking his territory act?

So now I have to carry extra socks when I go and visit mom. lol

Love Janet
Old 09-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Janet.. you describe a submissive pee.. so we are going to try this... if possible, have mom meet you outside with the dog...
Try not to approach her head on... maybe a side step would be better.
Then don't make a big fuss, just kneel down and speak gently and quietly to her.. scratch her under the chin...not on top of her head, that is a dominant act.

Then get up and walk in the house.

She can't help that, what she is saying is please spare me. I know you are the boss.

If you have time, maybe take her out, put a leash on her and take her for a little walk. It can't hurt... *s*

Most dogs would do that when they saw my male dog. They would slink around him and they would ask for their lives, literally.
All my male did was just lay there. *chuckle* He was VERY dominant but not pushy about it. He didn't have to prove it all the time. *s*

Old 09-16-2004, 04:19 AM

Jeannie

My biggest dog, the akita/german shepherd is I guess on the small side, she weighs 58 lbs. our vet is o.k. with that. The chihuahua/ terrier weighs about 25 lbs. I think? and the doxie wieghs 28 lbs. we've tried exercising, diet foods, etc. but she doesn't go up or down, again the vet wasn't overly worried about her, Oh and she's also beagle. We free feed our dogs, they eat whenever they want. They are paper trained since we work during the day, we live in a area where horrible people steal dogs and fight them against pit bulls for training so we would never dream of leaving our dogs outside unattended. We recently had neighbors who had a pit bull mom and newborn pups... someone actually broke in and stole the mom and all but one pup, she was a very docile pit bull. They do go outside to run and play 3-4 times a day, we have a large fenced yard with 3 trees plus 2 new ones I just planted.

Anna