Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 03-29-2002, 05:39 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dog won't stay in yard

How do you train a dog to stay within the perimeter of your own yard? We have an unusual set up here where we don't live in your standard neighborhood of houses. There are about 5 neighbors, 3 of which have dogs. Mine gets along fine with them and plays with them, but I get so angry when she won't listen and takes off!

Now granted, she's only 5 months old, and I am working on obedience with her. She understands "come" but ignores it when she gets off the leash or is able to get through the door when one of the kids isn't looking and opens it up. I am also teaching her to sit and stay at the door when it is opened. There are also cats outside so it's a huge temptation for her! LOL

We are starting an obedience class on April 1st, which I am really looking forward to. I've done those before and they are great.

Angel is a german shephard and is very smart, but she's also a puppy and her playfulness takes over I think. I would love to take her out in the yard to play fetch, but I'm afraid she'll take off!

When she does take off, she only goes to the neighbors house, but how long will that last? She may start going farther. I don't chase her when she does get out (it doesn't happen very often that she gets out), I just take a leash and call her. She thinks it's a game, so when I get the chance to grab her I do. I don't scold her because I don't want her to be afraid to come to me.

I can't fence my yard (yet), it's on the to do list, but we have 3/4 of an acre and it will cost more than I have right now.

I have heard of teaching a dog their boundaries by walking them on leash around the borders of your yard, but can't quite remember exactly how. Can anyone help?

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-21-2002, 08:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Staying in yard

I really don't know what the collars are called, but apparently there is a collar that works similar to clicker training. The collar does not shock the dog, but emits 3 different tones. One is a tone that tells the dog is did something good, another is an attention-getter and the third is an annoying tone that says, "Wrong!". Just this week I spoke with someone who uses one and she likes it. I don't need one for my 2 dogs, yet. This might be something to look into. I also think that at 5 months, you are right and puppy antics take over. Hang in there with the obedience training, and make being with you more fun and rewarding than anything else and it should work out. By the way, GSDs are my personal favorite, even though we have 2 wonderful mixed breeds right now.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:36 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

When you get this figured out, let me know

Amanda,
We had a min. schnauzzer for 12 yrs......we NEVER did teach her not to run off when she got out in the front yard. It was so maddening. I think part of it has to do with the breed of dog..... . She was actually bred for hunting....! Sometimes she would be running like crazy with 1 or 2 of us in tow yelling "Bandy no, Bandy stop!" and she would act like she never heard any of it. AND if there was a cat or rabbit to chase, well she'd run for days and days. It is such a problem, I hope your obedience class will help you with that one.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:31 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

AAargh!! I know how you feel, Amanda. Dioji has taken to running out of our yard every chance she gets! Her previous owners were teaching her to hunt, and we live about two blocks from farm fields in just about every direction. Now that it's spring, we've got rabbits, coons, foxes, chipmunks, squirrels, and occasinally deer all over, and the temptation is just too much for her lol! Our yard is partially fenced--we don't have a gate going across the driveway yet so the front is completely open. She used to listen and stay, but now....I'm going to look into obedience training. I don't know if there are ant classes around here that I can get to, but Dioji almost got hit a few days ago chasing a critter across the road and I don't want to lose my dog!

BTW, she has figured out how to get off her chain--can't figure out how she does it!
Old 05-06-2002, 07:45 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I really think it's the obedience training. She's still doing it, and she almost got hit by a car the other day. We don't LET her out, but if she sees an opportunity to bolt she will. She's almost 7 months old now and we are halfway through Basic One in obedience. We will be taking Basic Two also.

The guy who lives a few houses away from us has 4 dogs. He lets them out without leashes, and they do their doggie thing, and they wander a little, but the SECOND that he calls them, they STOP DEAD in their tracks and turn around and run right back to him. It's amazing. It's all in the training.

I worked pretty hard with her yesterday, plan to do it today too. Gotta spend 10-15 minutes at a time with her, several times per day. Going to try that again today, I just get caught up in everything else and by the time I realize it the day is over.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 05-28-2002, 08:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

well, i could use some help here too!
we have a golden retriever 1 year old. we tried for months walking around and teaching him his boundaries. didn't work for us, any chance he gets he'll bolt.
there are tons of neighborhood kids, i think this is my problem, buddy just loves attention and children. he will try to bolt when the kids are coming and going. the only thing that seems to slow him down is taking him for a long long run. being asthmatic this is very difficult for me.
he knows and understands sit, stay, stop, however, when he feels there's more fun going on outside, he'll bolt.
Old 05-29-2002, 04:14 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

With one exception, Dioji has been staying in the yard. She went to chase after a neighbor kid and almost got hit by a car--scared the daylights out of her and now she doesn't leave! She DID chase a squirrel into our neighbor's yard, but came right back. I still want to get her into obedience training, though. We just got a new puppy, a Rottweiler/Chow mix, and training is going to be very, very important for such an aggressive cross-breed. She's a sweetheart, though! So my babies get to go to school!
Old 05-30-2002, 05:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have two outside dogs and I gave up on one of them staying around. He is a Husky and they love to roam and run, he ran away from 3 owners before we got him. And in the city he was lucky he survived. In the country it wouldn't matter as much but I am afraid someone would be scared of him and hurt him. He is a sweet dog and almost 10 yrs old now. But I put up a big pen for him after chasing him everywhere for almost 3 yrs. Its not a prison by any means, its over 100 ft by almost another 60 in size. I decided I'd rather have my dog alive than hurt because he loves to run. The other one, his buddy will stay around the house, but if one leaves the other does too. It was alot cheaper to build them a big pen to play in than fence the whole yard. We just used 2x4 in fencing and poles so I can take it down or move it if I want. But some dogs are just made to roam and some just love to run. I love my dogs too much to see them hit by a car or shot at by someone because they ran away. My neighbor has hunting dogs that he puts collars on when he turns them loose to run. And when he calls they all come tearing back to him. He doesn't even have to use the collars anymore he said. They are just in case one get a wild hair and decides to leave town lol.
Old 06-09-2002, 05:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Dog Won't Stay In Yard

I also have that problem with my dogs. One dog is 5 years old and listens when we call him back. Our other dog,1 yr. old (adopted from shelter) doesn't listen. She will bolt right out of the door and take you on a neighborhood run while you are still in your jammies! I chatted with other dog lovers and the yard containment systems are supposed to be great if your dog is small, and cannot leap high. This doesn't work for me...my dog is big and she leaps like a deer! I am sure she will be better with age.

Obedience trainning is great...if it is offered in your area...it is not in mine, any suggestions???
Old 06-20-2002, 06:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Dogs leaving yard

Hi Guys--

I know how you feel about your dogs leaving the yard. We live on a small city lot, surrounded by 2 major roadways so when our dog gets out it's a MAJOR concern. We have had several dogs and they all tried to run-I guess it's just in their nature. We now have a Chocolate Lab who is a tad over 2 yrs. old, who is our furry kid and a 3 1/2 yr. old people kid!! When Bri (the people kid) learned how to open doors, he was constantly letting Katie (the furry kid) out, thinking it was fun to watch Mom, Dad and two older brothers running throught the neighborhood like idiots chasing a brown streak.

We tried the training etc. but with all the "help" we received from Bri we just never could get Katie trained. As a last resort I got an "Invisible Fence" -the underground wire with special collar. It was expensive-almost $700.00 for our lot but when we compared to regular fencing and the cosmetic value, it was worth it. Katie can now run freely in the front and back yards, very rarely does she "break the line" usually while wanting to run after one of the kids, and our yard "isn't closed in". To us, it was well worth the piece of mind to know that our "furry kid" would be safe. The shock the dog receives its enough to give them a fair jolt (just ask my 12 yr old-but that's another story!! ) and it causes no real harm but they sure don't like it! We can now let Katie out for short times without her special collar and she will still stay in the yard so if she runs out of the door by mistake it's no big deal. I don't think we'll ever have another dog without this kind of system if we don't have a fence--as a bonus-your dog CAN NOT dig under an invisible fence-the electric field goes 6 feet in ALL directions-Labs are big diggers!!

Like I said I sure it's not for everybody but it really worked for us--good luck all--

Proud American

(for my kids-they really like "Bouncy")