Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-11-2004, 05:18 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Neighbors That Have Nothing Better To Do

I have some neighbors in the front and in the back of me who have called the police on us. They complain(sp) about my dogs barking, They don't bark all the time just when they see small animals running in the yard or they see people coming to close to the yard . They don't bark when people come up to the cage to pet them . I just don't know what to do,if they call again on us we will have to go to court and that will be a pain. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out with this problem.
Destyne 01/18/97

Old 08-14-2004, 06:46 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

barking dogs

Have you tried the citronnella no bark collars for your dogs? They can be very effective.
Some shelters and dog day cares may even rent them so you can try them out.
Are you dogs outside all the time? Maybe they need to be inside with the family more.

Hope this helps.

Jane
Old 08-14-2004, 08:27 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have a dog and she lives inside with us. Barking dogs are annoying, that's all there is to it. If you have neighbors close to you and your dogs live outside all the time, then you either need to put muzzles on them or get bark collars. I am not trying to sound harsh, but where I used to live there was a man who worked nights. He had a doggy door and his two dogs would go outside and bark ALL NIGHT LONG. I tried talking to him, writing him a note and putting it in his mail box, and I called the police several times, of course he was never home.

Dogs bark at things when they feel there's a threat, or sometimes just out of boredom. Do they have enough to do? Toys to play with? Do you throw a ball for them now and then?

As I said, my dog lives inside, she's a member of the family. I understand when people keep their dogs outside, I know people that do that as well. But if that's the case, and there are neighbors close by, you must be respectful of them as well. It's a two way street.

If you truly believe that they are being unreasonable, then you may end up in court. I would recommend trying to talk to them. If that's not an option, then you need to work something out on your end, like bringing them inside more, getting muzzles or bark collars, or simply correcting them when they begin barking.

You want dogs to bark when there is apparent danger, and they WILL out of instinct, no matter HOW MUCH you teach them not to bark. So it's up to you to determine what is fair, and what is not.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

dogs barking!!!

I HATE DOGS THAT BARK ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know they have to bark sometimes!!!! I let mine bark THEN I stop them BUT when neighbors go out ALL day or night and let them bark...why dont they seem to hear them??????
my neighbor just got TWO {I have 2 also}BUT they are about to drive me crazy I AM Go crazy!!!!!!!!!!I am glad its been tooo humid to go out!!!!! I wouldnt want to be out with them barking all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!! opps kinda lost it....lol....BUT ITS TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck I will have to stay tuned to see what others say!!!
ps the police DIDNT do anything about the dogs???? I thought they had to!!????!!
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

dogs...dakmom

I didnt mean that YOU had the annoying dogs... I just meant the some dogs like yours and mine...bark at what they are SUPPOSE to bark at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOT ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! those people DONT really like there dogs I dont think!!!!!leaving them out in every kind of weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well here i go again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Where I used to live there were barking dogs all the time and it nearly drove me up the wall! People would go to work and leave the dogs on their decks. When one dog barked they all did, and this went on all day. Talking to them did no good; they just got nasty. I told one lady that the dog is no smarter than the owner, and that's true. DOGS CAN BE TRAINED, but most people don't bother. I have no sympathy for anyone who leaves a dog out and the police are called when they get annoying.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just where are your dogs that they are barking...?
You say cage? really a cage or a dog run?
You can NOT keep dogs in a cage all day or outside without proper shelter.....that is a shaded, protected from the elements dog run, with ample supply of water.

How old are the dogs and what breed?

Personally, anyone that owns dogs that are in the yard or caged all day, have no business owning dogs. Dogs are companions.
If you can't train them and have them indoors with you, then you don't need them. Barking is a sign of boredom. If no one is home during the day, and then you leave them out at night.. what is the purpose of having the dogs in the first place.

If your life is so busy, then you should consider adopting out the dogs... and when your life is less hectic and you can be home, get a dog then.

Dog ownership comes with responsibility.... not to disturb your neighbors because you have a dog or dogs, That they are not dangerous to you or others, that they are properly obedienced trained, and vetted as needed....and to be sure that they are not mistreated and well be cared for....

Not everyone works days. There is a large segment of the population that work swing or graveyard shifts...I did that for a while and I will tell you it's hard enough to sleep for those shifts, but to be awakened by a barking dog is beyond what I can post here. People are entitled to peace and quiet and to be able to enjoy their home and surrounding without listening to your dogs barking.

If this seems harsh to you, I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

I have bred, trained and maintained dogs for a long time, and with 8 dogs that lived in my house, I never had a complaint......my dogs were better behaved than most kids....... and were welcomed everywhere... but then, I was home, and I trained my dogs.

Dogs that are trained learn to bark discriminately..... that is they know when to bark and when there is no reason to alarm that there is someone or thing approaching that might mean danger.

Some dogs bark more than others, some are dumber than others and some are dumber than rocks..... just like people. *chuckle*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 08-14-2004, 09:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow...dakaremom got more than she bargained for on this post!.. We don't set out to yell at new members, Really!!!

But obviously, this post hit a nerve at the FC neighborhood, just like the doggies have hit a nerve in your neighborhood.

In your post, you say you don't understand what the neighbor's problem is, .. and you didn't explain when it is your dogs are barking..( day or eve)

I saw in your profile that you are a home daycare provider.. Now that alone is a GOOD REASON to have dogs caged during the day... ( though I hope the kiddies weren't the "small animals" you were referring to! lol... )

But if it is in fact a night time barking issue that you are defending.. I have to chime in too..Complaining is not a matter of not having nothing better to do...

My next door neighbor used to leave his German Sheppard out all night as a "watch dog"... The man slept like a rock.. My kids and I, however did not. The dog would bark at every possum, every racoon, every deer, squirrel, car, mosquito, blah blah blah.. He'd even HOWL... he was so lonesome out there!

My little girl was terrified of the howling .. she thought it was ghosts.. I'd call the neighbor..and he'd take the phone off the hook.. So I started calling the police.

He was angryabout that.. I was[edited by moderator]at not getting any sleep!!!!... The dog warden came for the dog.. and after that, the dog started living inside after 8 PM.. Hallilujah!!

So, dakaremom, I'd love to know more about your dog issues..and know if we've given you a new barking dog view, or inadvertently hurt your feelings....
Old 08-15-2004, 12:10 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I agree with Jeannie, if you want dogs, keep them in the house that is why they are called "companion animals" I have never and will never understand people that get a puppy and after it is past it's "cute" stage will consign it to a lifetime of being in a cage or worse on a chain, I would bark too, a lot !!!!!!!!
One of the other readers was right on too, when she said dogs can be trained not to bark. But that takes committment, if you have an animal, you have chosen to take on a lifetime committment to that animal, animals are NOT disposable, but if you don't have the time or inclination to keep your dogs with you (where they belong) then find them a GOOD HOME where they will be loved and appreciated.
Our three dogs sleep on our bed, and are never outside, except to potty or go for a ride with us. They are as much a part of our family as any child would be.
CAGES, CHAINS UGH !!!!
Lillith
Old 08-15-2004, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have a neighbor that has a 150 pound rottweiller named Kento. Kento is a marshmallow of a dog, but huge and intimidating looking none the less.. He now keeps Kento in a "cage " in the back when he's out side getting his exercise.

The cage is 50 feet by 20 feet, and has a dog house in it. It's a comfort to us neighbors to know that Kento can be visited, and petted but can NOT ever get out on his own... "just in case" ..

I like knowing that Kento can't jump a fence in persuit of a cat and end end up causing a panic with the little kids.. (which happened once... before the "cage" was installed.. )