Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-24-2004, 05:31 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

we have thought about the camera but we just rent and the landlords won't put one up or motion lights for us so we are stuck at the moment. I can try again to ask about it. But we also need a camera in the front yard because last night someone ripped our radar detector out of the lighter and shredded the wires so I guess we can win for nothing.
Destyne 01/18/97

Old 08-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Sorry I forgot to tell ya thatmy daughter placed at second runner up or third whoever they do it.
Destyne 01/18/97

Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 AM

mousebyte

Yes, it was a Amish cedar wood 2 seat glider. Dh flipped a couple of the boards over and repainted it, so it wasn't a total loss but still....

Dakaremom

do you have a camcorder or have a friend or relative who has one?

Anna
Old 10-21-2004, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We live in a rural area so our dog (Beagle) kinda runs around the area. There are other dogs in the neighbor hood and so far they are very calm and gentle. Our neighbor (who's wife works at a pet clinic) hates dogs.

When we first moved here, they had 3 dogs and we didn't mind them in our yard, they were not bothering any, we didn't have our dog at the time. They overfed their dogs and they were so fat they didn't walk, they just dragged their stomach across the ground. But back to the problem. He point blank said he hated his dogs and they may just get into something and maybe they would die. Well don't know how but they all left the area in time.

My problem is that our dog stays inside and outside, she gets food and treats in the house and we are very careful to feed her correctly with all the nutrients and vitamins she needs, well she has started going down to their house, which about 300 ft away from ours. I called and kindly asked if she was coming down and was it bothering them. Of course the answer is no. But when our little Daisy comes home from a visit with them, she is so full and swelled where she ate too much. I have called and called and they say they are not feeding her and maybe once in a while they do give her a snack. I know she has been eating down there since she sometimes brings the remnants back and it is not the food we eat.

We have talked with our vet and tried to stay on top of the matter, but it continues to happen. The police say they can't do any thing about someone feeding someone elses dog. What can I do???
Old 10-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm not saying this to be mean, but, Where does it say that your dog can run around wherever it wants just because you live in a rural area? The safest place for your dog is in your fenced yard or kennel run when it can't be in the house.

I live in a rural area as well... I wouldn't dream of having my dogs run the area.....You never know what's out there... a car can hit your dog, some crazy can take your dog, someone can poison it.......there are so many things that can happen. The other danger is from other dogs, not to mention if your dog bites someone.
You've never seen a pack attack a dog have you? It's not a pretty sight. Most times they don't survive.... I would reconsider
having your dog/s run the area and confine them for their own safety.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 10-22-2004, 06:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think the only thing you can do is control your dog.

Other than that, consider her a "free agent" and realize that by letting her loose ... you are also "letting loose" your control over what happens to her wehile she is out there.

I think it's like being a parent. You teach your kids to make choices so that when you send them out into the world alone.. you HOPE they will make the right choices...

But pets aren't kids ( even though we love them the same sometimes) and they don't make choices, they folllow instincts.

So.. to the question you ask " What can you do?" well....we all know you can't control the actions of other people.( no matter how much we want to) My answer has to be... ( no mater how frustrating it sounds) You can only control your dog...
Old 10-22-2004, 06:43 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by ncjeepster
We live in a rural area so our dog (Beagle) kinda runs around the area. There are other dogs in the neighbor hood and so far they are very calm and gentle. Our neighbor (who's wife works at a pet clinic) hates dogs.
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I am afraid I must strongly agree with Jeannie and Lifestar Have you ever heard the story of the cat who was abducted from his own neighborhood and set o fire? He survived for a couple of days before dying in the animal hospital. The woman who tells the story started http://www.animal-abuse.com/ a website that helps stop or prevent pet abuse.

You can search the database to see if there are any abusers in your area.

The point here is that your dog is safer with you, at home. Please, don't let him/her roam around. Especially with the comment above about your neighbor that hates dogs

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 10-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, count me as # 4! Dogs and cats need to be kept up in this day and time. People in this country - even those living in rural areas - are not what they used to be.

For your dog's safety, pen him up.

If we get the (shhhhhh - it's a secret!) puppy for Christmas, it will be crate-trained and clicker-trained and kept up carefully - no running around the neighborhood, no being off-leash unless in the Dog Park, or a fenced area.

Love your doggies and kitties and ferrets and other pets and be sure they don't fall into harm's way.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth