Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Dogs can be unstable from birth. The shy pup, the one that avoids contact, the one that hides, may be cute, but what you see at 8 weeks is what you will have for life...

This unbalance can appear in ANY breed. Dogs that are this way are not really not able to deal with life. These are the dangerous dogs that people think the shyness can be trained out of them. Believe me it can't... these are the dogs that are always afraid....and if they percieve even a friendly act as a threat, they will bite. I have had people insist on training , spending literally thousands of dollars on them and all to the same end. They could have spent that money on buying a quality pup and have IT trained, and still have money left over. Temperament testing is essential when getting a pup or older dog for that matter. I have seen border collies that are snappy, I have seen Saints that have been very aggressive as well as labs and goldens.

A bad breeding will not make for good dogs...and you can't make a badly bred dog good, but, you can make a good dog bad, from lack of socialization and training. When I had pups, I would get ahold of every kid I could find to come play with the puppies ( with parental permission)... They would come after school and just have a good ole time with them... As they got older, the 6 that always came to play with the pups and take them for walks, were given a pup (always after discussing with parents)...they earned them and with the experience they gained, I was certain the pups would not be abused and they would be trained and well cared for... these kids became excellent dog handlers... some went on to working dog competitions.... *proud smile*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 08-20-2004, 02:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

dakaremom!!!!!

I AM SOOOOO sorry this got out of hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DIDNT mean to take your suggestions about YOUR neighbors!!!!!!and dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am truely sorry!!
there has been sooo much about dogs nipping babies WOMAN are great here!!!!!!!!!BUT ladies please lets help her out...read the first page again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lets help her out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you again ladies for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am watching VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or I am not home with the dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have a great week....
Old 08-20-2004, 02:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pinkie Winky ps Anna

yes "doxie" is short for Dachshund!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a doxie/beagle toooo cute!!!!!!!!!!! does he bark or howl??? toooo cute!!!!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I hope we haven't "scared" Dakaremom away! She hasn't posted here since that first post. I don't even know if she is continuing to read the thread.

I hope so! Buried in all these posts is the basis of a solution:
training and re-socializing her dogs. It doesn't matter if the neighbor is being unreasonable or not. If the neighbor is complaining, the dogs need to be discouraged from barking! Another part of the solution was that the dogs be kept indoors. This will require even more training and socialization.

If there is a PetSmart or Petco nearby with obedience training classes, take them - as many as possible. If you enjoy obedience training, then you might consider Schutzhund training.

Schutzhund does not mean the dog must be trained to attack, that is one of the options. Schutzhund training is a very structured kind of obedience training with trials and awards. It can be much fun.

Other kinds of advanced obedience training can be much fun, also. Any kind of activity that involves structured activity with your dog(s) is going to be helpful, from Flyball to Agility to Therapy Rescue work. Then there is "Dog Dancing" that is becoming big! Any of these will help with the barking problem, because the dogs will learn discipline and will have a "purpose." They will also *know* who the "Alpha" dog in the pack is - you! (or hubby). This is *very* important to dogs, as they are hard-wired to be "pack animals" and need to know, in no uncertain terms, where they are in the "pecking order." (To mix metaphors!)

Cheerio!
Elizabeth

OOPS! almost forgot! Frisbee competitions! They are a wonder to watch, and I would just love to be able to do that with a dog!

Last edited by ewriggs; 08-20-2004 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I don't want to start anything here but I think the post that suggested that if you keep your dogs outside you don't love them and shouldn't own them was just plain wrong and mean. We have 4 cats inside, we rescued two big dogs from a neighbor that was going to take them to the pound because she didn't want them anymore because they weren't cute puppies anymore. These dogs do stay outside but they have dog houses, we live in the south so it doesn't usually get freezing cold up here but we still put blankets in their dog house in the winter. My kids play with them everyday and they are walked daily. They have plenty of room to run as we live in the mountains and have a lot of space. We have no close neighbors so if they bark at the deer or wild turkey they disturb no one but us. They are fed and watered and even have a kids small pool to play in when the weather is hot. We always bring them bones back from restaurants which they really enjoy. Regardless of what you think we love our dogs and treat them good. Just because they are kept outside does not mean they are loved any less. If we had gone somewhere to pick out a dog instead of rescueing the neighbors we would have picked a small dog that would have been kept in the house.

Dakaremom never said her dogs barked all day and/or all night, she said they barked when animals or strangers came into the yard. I agree with Elizabeth if she could find a way to keep them from barking at all as not to make the neighbors mad that would be great but unless they are barking all the time or continuously then maybe the neighbors are just being jerks. I mean my ex neighbor that was going to put the dogs in the pound just because they got big I consider to be a jerk.

I don't want to start an arguement here, I was just very hurt by your comments and that you could make a statement about how much other people love their dogs just because we don't all keep our dogs in the same manner as you.

mouse
Old 08-20-2004, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Mouse, I'm personally glad that you spoke up about having your feelings hurt by the strong expression of other's feelings...

While all of us are of course entitled to personal feelings,,, I think we all need to remember that in electronic communication, the subtlety of what we are saying is eliminated with the absence of facial expression and tone of voice... .and sometimes when we're adament about a subject, only the harshnes of the semantics comes through.

I think it's important that you are all aware that Dakaremom hasn't posted anywhere on the FC boards since she started this thread..

Perhaps in the zealousness of the commitment to the animals ... it was forgotten how we try to treat each our newbies...I'm not sure she is resillient enough for a forgiving "bounce back".. This is all IMHO...
Old 08-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Lifestar I truly appriciate your reply. You are very right, sometimes things don't come across on the message boards the way we meant them exactly.

And I did feel VERY bad for Dakaremom because of some of the responses she got when it seemed like she was really just trying to get advice for a problem so I e-mailed Dakaremom 4 or 5 days ago to tell her how sorry I was about some of the responses she had gotten and invited her to visit other sites on Familycorner as there are some great sites on here and some great people on here. I haven't heard anything from her. I think she probably felt like she was being attacked. I am sure no one meant it that way but it is sad when we lose someone new to the boards before they get a chance to realize what a great family we have here and how supportive we usually are to each other.

Thanks,
mouse
Old 08-20-2004, 08:04 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar
I think it's important that you are all aware that Dakaremom hasn't posted anywhere on the FC boards since she started this thread..
Just an FYI to everyone who is concerned about this, dakaremom has not been here at all since 08/11 when she started this thread (in other words, she hasn't even read the replies as far as I can tell from the admin panel).

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-20-2004, 08:13 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mousebyte
These dogs do stay outside but they have dog houses, we live in the south so it doesn't usually get freezing cold up here but we still put blankets in their dog house in the winter. My kids play with them everyday and they are walked daily. They have plenty of room to run as we live in the mountains and have a lot of space.....
Mouse

I agree with you. While my dog does live inside, I know people who own outside dogs. What you describe here is how an outside dog should be treated. They still need attention and love. There is a man across the street from me who bought a yellow lab puppy. That poor dog is outside all day (it gets to 115 here regularly during the summer, so that's not a good thing) and is bored out of its mind. They also have two doxies, males that are not fixed for no apparent reason, and they live inside the house. They apparently bought the yellow lab as their "hunting dog", though I can't imagine what kind of hunting you can possibly do in the middle of the desert Anyhoo, they bring the pup out in the front yard with them once in a while when they are working on their cars or messing around in the garage. They tie the pup to the tree and that's about it. In my opinion, they shouldn't own that dog. But that's just my opinion.

You on the other hand, have described what several of my friends back in Wisconsin do. They live on farms, their dogs live in kennels outside with dog houses, blankets, toys, etc.

I just wanted you to know that I don't think anyone is horrible for making their dog live outside, so I hope I wasn't the one that gave you that impression.

As for the original question on this thread, I believe it's been forgotten about by its orginator (maybe I'm wrong but that's what the admin panel shows me), and I also stick with my original response, which incidentally i don't think was cruel, just honest

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Amanda and group -

Is there a way to directly e-mail Dakaremom and let her know that sometimes enthusiasm outruns our tact? I agree that we may have "scared" her away - especially as she has not even logged back in since then.

As I'm not an administrator or the owner (and I don't envy you, Amanda! I don't think I would want to "own" something like this, even with all the able moderators and administrators you have), I can only PM her, and if she isn't logging into FC, she may not even answer a PM. Maybe she's auto-deleting anything that comes from FC - and I hate to see us get a "reputation" for being snarky (as one of the members of a list I belong to expresses it).

Just a couple of thoughts.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth