Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:39 AM

I am a little late chiming in here, but I have to agree with everyone. A dog barking constantly is very annoying, especially when you are trying to sleep! We have 3 dogs and they stay inside with us, 2 sleep in bed with us, one beside the bed.

Most people buy a dog for companionship and to guard the house... if they are outside all the time, they aren't getting companionship and they certainly can't protect you if their outside unless they have full run of the whole perimeter of the house, front side and back.

I hope you can resolve this issue in a peaceful fashion with your neighbor and if your dog must be outside, please get a no barking color.

Anna
Old 08-15-2004, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi. I know you got a lot of replies wth a lot of information. Both sides of the issue were informative. But I have 1 important (I think) thing to add. Most cities and towns have laws about dogs. For ex. where I use to live dogs were not allowed to bark (and annoy neighbors) after a certain time at night and before a certain in a.m. And the police were aware of that. So if someone complained at night they could make them take the dog in. But if it was in the daytime they could talk to the complainer and the owner but the law was on the side of the owner. So it may allay your fears about going to court if you check for laws where you live. That said, you should still heed the advice given about caring for your dogs and making peace with your neighbor.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Val... 50 x20 is a dog run. And that's a safe place for the dog when he can't be in the house...

My dogs do crate on command.. but that is also for their well being... they would crate without being told to have peace and quiet... each had their own crate.... the doors were open and at any given time you would find dogs in crates....

Dogs are denning animals.. the love the security of a crate (cave)

I do have a very large cage.... I cover it with towels so as to make it a cave like atmosphere... it has a mattress covered with a quilt... the door is open.. my dog will go in by himself ....it's a safe secure place to get away from visitors and kids.... and it's in our bedroom where NO ONE is allowed except the dog.

I will re-emphasize, when dogs are trained everything becomes much easier for everyone including the dog. The dog is actually happier because he knows his position in the family.. and knows he is NOT the leader or alpha....

I wish I could pass a law about barking dogs... escalating fines until the situation is dealt with......

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 08-15-2004, 07:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

TC still spends a lot of time in her crate. But she is only 13 weeks old ( 14 weeks tomorrow) and housebreaking is not yet a guarantee for overnights in my mind.) So she still sleeps in her crate overnight, but it is next to DD#2's "bed" which is in our living room. This is also where she eats her meals and takes her naps and escapes to for her time-outs from the world... She is "crated" whenever we go out, or just can't supervise her for extended periods of time. . ( if we're mowing the lawn, for example) .. Otherwise she has a doggie bed in the kitchen, and follows us around, inside and out.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Val.. she won't be reliable for quite a while.. My scooter is 20 months old.. and he is crated at night.. and yes he is trained....

I do not allow any dog on beds until they are completely trained, and they are obedienced trained...

Why you ask? because, you are giving the dog the same level that you are on..... that means equality within a pack... nope, that's not going to happen in this lifetime....

In a pack the subordinates do not sleep with the alphas....

just like the NCO's don't go into the officer's club.. *chuckle*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 08-15-2004, 08:42 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeannie
Val.. she won't be reliable for quite a while.. My scooter is 20 months old.. and he is crated at night.. and yes he is trained....
Angel slept in her crate at night for her first two years. She never chewed anything or had accidents, unless we left her out of her crate while we were gone or at night. As if she were uncomfortable being left out, without her cave When we moved into this house, we simply didn't have anywhere to put her crate as it's pretty big, so it's still sitting in the garage. She now sleeps under my bed (it's a pedastal bed, so it's up high) and that seems to be her "cave".

Here's a picture of Angel (the GS) with her buddy from the walking trail where we walk each morning
Attached Images

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda..

Hi lady! Good to read you.. *s*

Yes, Angel found her 'cave' under the bed..

I had crates in every room... living room, bed rooms, hall...
behind the wet bar... they absolutely love them....

This is the cage/crate I have now.. I use bath towels to cover and it's easy to wash them.. notice the mattress and the quilt ...
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2004, 03:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

doggies!!!

Jeannie.....I am sending my dogs to YOU!!!!!! NO really I have two mini doxies and some times they are bad!!! gee whiz the older one has gone back to the puppy stage!!!!!
BUT I was wondering IF you or anyone on here had any hints on how I can get my younger one to accept a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just started baby sitting and I DONT think he likes the baby.....well not sure...BUT I dont want him to hurt him!!! I let each dog smell him when he came in....he is mostly upset when the baby crys!!!! well thats a good and bad thing!!!!! I put him out mostly HOPEFULLY by the winter he will be better it gets cold out there!!!!!!
thanks for the pics too!!!
and Pam you are right there is law usually about the dogs barking!!! AND being left outside all day without shelter!! well at least I think so!!! LOL
have a good day.....PTP {pat the puppies!!!} for me!!!!
a friend in NJ
Old 08-16-2004, 06:07 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Jeannie

That's what Angel's looks like pretty much Did I tell you she's been diagnosed with epilepsy She's had a total of 3 sizures, but we get through them ok. They said it was probably heriditary two or even three generations back. I did make the breeder aware so he wouldn't breed those two dogs again. But overall, she's a happy, healthy dog

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 08-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amanda.

I am so sorry to hear about the epilepsy... Has the vet
prescribed ant-convulsives for her? She is a lovely dog and
you've done very well with her. I wish everyone was as
responsible as you.... give Angel a kiss from Auntie Jean...*s*

mowire.. take this very seriously. I do not trust ANY dog with a baby ....EVER.
if your dog is showing jealousy or any other aggessive behavior, do not .. I Repeat DO NOT leave the dog with the baby, even for a second.

Perhaps if I explain prey drive you'll understand. Babies sound like prey.... that puts the dog in hunt mode, and that's why dogs bite babies...or kill them.

They will get excited when the baby cries.. that's a good thing because it alerts you...... it's a bad thing if they are treating the baby as prey.

Put the dogs in a run, or put the dogs in another room. You are responsible for ANY harm that comes to the baby. I'm sure you don't want that. They must be kept separated.

I know of one gal that put one of those secure screen doors in her hall way to keep the dogs out of part of the house.

I don't know what baby you are watching.. I suggest you don't do babysitting while your dogs have access....