Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Robin: Very well said, and I couldn't agree more. Here in King County (the county that Seattle is located in) you have to have a breeder's license to have an unaltered dog or cat. In theory that is a great idea. In reality, the folks that are irresponsible enough to keep an unaltered pet are not getting them licensed anyway. If you adopt from any of the animal shelters or the city pound, you CANNOT take that animal home without getting them fixed. King County is also doing this thing where Aninal Control sends volunteers door to door in the summertime (I'm expecting a visit any day now ) and they check the pets versus what is on the license records. If you have an extra pet, they sign you up for a pet license right then and there. They are trained to ask what is going on in the neighborhood too, which kind of stinks in a way, because you are being asked to report on what your neighbors are doing.

Taking your comment a step further, I think ANYONE who has a companion animal (not just the mutts) should have that animal altered. Besides, it does works wonders on behavior.

Abear: Pits are on our city's aggresive dog list, which means pretty much one strike and your out. But they do place for adoption Pits, Rots, Akitas, Dobbies, and other aggressives that don't have a history.

Sarah
Old 08-03-2004, 10:25 AM

In Franklin County where I'm at, pits are automatically put down if they are taken to the shelter.

I totally agree about the neutering/spaying.. all my pets have been as soon as they were old enough. It seems a shame when I have such wonderful pets, they would've made good Mommies but like dh said "could you really trust giving one of their babies away, not knowing how it would be treated"? he is right.

Anna
Old 07-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thumbs up love my wolfhound

I have an Irish Wolfhound and she is very gentle and very lovable. She is laid back and nothing seems to bother her. People are easily frightened by her large size, but it is misleading. Only issue I have is she thinks she can be a lap dog!
Old 07-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Training, training, training! People need to be trained how to own dogs! On July 10, 2010 we woke up to a dog on our porch. She has changed my life and now I am a dog lover. I was completely clueless about dog and there is still a lot I would like to learn. I would love to get her a companion dog, but it has been a challenge to figure her out. I'm not sure if I could handle twice the challenge. I would LOVE to see free spay and neuter and FREE training offered all over the place. To address the original question, the heeler breed can be very loyal, good at alerting/protecting, and lots of fun to be around. They generally have a 12 year life span and are considered medium size at about 40 or so lb. My dog is heeler/catahoula and about 55 to 60 lbs. To me she is quite large. And she does shed.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Of course, the original question was about 9 years ago? I wonder how it all turned out.