Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I've worked with animals for a long time. In any breed of dog you can have bad ones just like you can have acceptions to the more aggresive ones. But there are some breeds who are known to be more aggresive than others. Many smaller breeds are very nippy to down right mean.
I got bit in the hip by a G. Shepherd when I was young. I did nothing more than walk up on a porch and knock on the door the same way I had a hundred times before. I've never held that against the breed. I own one now.
Among some of the worst breeds for aggression are Chows, Akitas, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Pit Bulls AKA American Staffordshire Terriers. Dobermans, Rotties, and G. Shep have a sterotype of being mean but most of the time these dogs are given a bad wrap by society. They are big which is scary in itself and they are easliy trained or learn to be mean. Much has to do with the breeding and raising.
IMHO.

Robin in NC
Old 08-02-2004, 11:18 AM

Robin-

That's what we've always believed too... it's all in how they are raised and folks reading this don't take it the wrong way as we love all animals... but for us, we have made it a point to only get dogs as puppies instead of older dogs because you don't know how they were raised, what their environment was. And of course, we have gotten 2 out of 4 dogs at the local dog shelter or pounds.

Anna
Old 08-02-2004, 01:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin whittington
Much has to do with the breeding and raising.
You're right! My first DH & I had a male & female chow. The female was sweet & gentle. The male was MEAN! After the puppies were born, I made DH get rid of the male.

We sold all of the puppies except one. We gave that one, a female, to my parents. She turned out to be even better than her Mom. She was protective of my parents grandchildren....would not let anyone through the gate to the fenced-in yard (just by barking) when they were out playing. She was the best dog I have even seen. She passed away last July of just old age....she was 17 yrs. old. In all of her 17 yrs., she never bit or even tried to attack anyone.

There can always be an exception to a breed that is normally labeled "mean/aggressive".

Do you know that c o c k e r spaniels are not recommended for families with children?? They are on the same list with chows, pit bulls, german shepherds, etc... That me!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

In reference to the ****ers. I did know that. Many of the terriers are in that group as well.
When you work as I did in the animal field you learn or you get chewed up.
Robin in NC
Old 08-03-2004, 04:34 AM

Here's something else interesting I heard about dogs. 2 guys down the street from me had a Pit Bull and we're showing me how docile she was (so docile in fact, she let a burglar steal her and her babies). Anyways, they were saying a more vicious dog even than a pit bull is a "Giant Poodle". Never heard that before but have never met one either.

Anna
Old 08-03-2004, 04:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Well, I'll have to say that I've never heard the about Standard Poodles. Although they are not the little "fee fees' that your miniture or teacups are I've never heard of them being overly aggresive. I'm sure there may be an exception to the rule but this isn't one of the breeds that were on the top of the list.
I have met some very well behaved Pit Bulls... but they aren't a breed I would have nor would I want the responsibility of owning one.
Robin in NC
Old 08-03-2004, 05:26 AM

Robin

Me either although like I said theirs was a sweet dog and it's a shame someone broke in and stole it... I can only imagine they want to fight it that is unfortunately a prevalent issue in our city with the drug dealers.

Anna
Old 08-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My sister in law has a pit, and like the one you are describing, she is very sweet and loves to be loved. She is truly a lovely animal. However, these dogs over time, have been breed to be aggresive. I love Honey (the dogs name) but with small children, including my own, in and out of my house on a regular basis, I would not risk owning her. It's really sad because at the pound here in Seattle, there are ten pits up for adoption to one of any other breed. They are very popular right now, especially in the urban, city environments.

Sarah
Old 08-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SarahV
It's really sad because at the pound here in Seattle, there are ten pits up for adoption to one of any other breed. They are very popular right now, especially in the urban, city environments.
I am surprised that your facility does not automatically put down the pit bulls. Most do.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Personally I think that the over population of pets needs to be contolled somehow. I think the goverment should set up
funded clinics for altering. I also think breeders should be accountable for litters they produce. Many of the breeders send what they don't sell to the pound adding to the problem.
I think people who have mixed breeds should be required to have them altered. I also think breeders need to have a limit.
It sounds like a drastic measure but when you look at the tens of thousnads put to sleep every year I think it would help.
Stray populations would be cut way down. Right now if every stray and unbreedable pet were altered the population would drop in the next year. Just think on the flip side of that. Every stray and un altered pet is capable of producing 2 -3 more litters in the next year and the off spring to those will start reporducing in 6 to 8 months.
If we could stop it now or at least start slowing it down things would be much better.
IMHO
Robin in NC