Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Pets & Animals Whether you have dogs, cats, ferrets, birds or horses, post with others in this friendly pet forum. Lost a pet? We have a Rainbow Bridge forum too.

Old 08-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ohhhh, I haven't heard of a Labradoodle, I am going to have to try to find a picture of one online. They sound cute!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by SarahV
Ohhhh, I haven't heard of a Labradoodle. They sound cute!
They are!!!

To me, they look like a long haired lab that got a spiral perm!!!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:49 AM

Abear-

Laboradoodle, lol, lol! I've never heard of one of those either.

And on Akita's, here in Ohio full bred ones are considered bad doggies, like the Pit Bull and you have to have special insurance on them but mixed Akita's you don't.

Katie is a good dog but because of her size and playfulness, I wouldn't mix her with children in a open area. She loves to romp and play but as I said, she's never been around children so I can't say how the breed or even she would do.

Anna
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Anna,

That is the same here in Washington, regarding the Akitas. They are considered an aggresive breed, such as Rots, Pit Bulls, and Dobermans. That is something else to thing about, because those dogs that are on an agressive dog list for your municipality will cost more, homeowners insurance-wise, and are usually not given a second chance if, God forbid, an incident occurs.

Sarah
Old 08-02-2004, 09:03 AM

Dog Insurance

SarahV-

Very good point. Akita's got added to the dangerous dog list after we bought her or otherwise the Animal shelter we got her from would have probably put her down, what a shame that would've been.

She is my dog, as is the dachshund... the chihuahua is dh's. Katie follows me everywhere, she doesn't go to bed till I do, if I get up to go farthur than the bathroom she goes too. I love her to pieces... none of my dogs are outdoor dogs btw. They are all paper trained, most of the time they wait till we get home but I don't think it's fair to ask a pet to wait 9 hours to go potty so we go through a lot of newspapers.

Anna
Old 08-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by OSI
And on Akita's, here in Ohio full bred ones are considered bad doggies, like the Pit Bull and you have to have special insurance on them but mixed Akita's you don't.
Unitl my niece was attacked, we'd never heard of that breed before. We thought his dog was a mutt!

Had we known of the breed's history, my niece, or any other children would have been around that dog when we were there. He never thought the dog was a risk to the kids as she seemed so playful & loveable.....never any prior hint that she could even be aggressive!

Luckily, he had reported ownership of the dog to his homeowners insurance company so there were no problems with the medical claim.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Labradors.........

Labs are great dogs.....especially with kids. We had one, and she was good to take anywhere...around anyone.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:16 AM

Abear-

That's good no problems with insurance. Reminds me last year, my neighbors bought a male chihuahua named Shelby. Her dh didn't like the dog but tolerated it. It bit his 5 year daughter in the face, she was down in its face and it snapped. They got rid of it immediately.

Anna
Old 08-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by OSI
Reminds me last year, my neighbors bought a male chihuahua named Shelby. Her dh didn't like the dog but tolerated it. It bit his 5 year daughter in the face, she was down in its face and it snapped.
When my niece was attacked, there were 2 other kids playing with the dog. The only thing they can figure is that she (the dog) got tired of playing and turned to snap at the kids and instead caught my niece on the cheek.

I could never own a chihuahua. They are too high-strung for me. I need a laid back, mellow dog!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:29 AM

Yep, they are nervous little dogs... you would be too if you were so tiny and had to worrry about people stepping on you Seriously though the pure breds look like tiny little rats with big ears. Mine is a mix, we weren't quite sure what she was when we got her.. she has the chihuahua face and ears but tall legs and a bigger body. We got her from the pound, took her straight to the Vet the same day and ask "What is it"? even the Vet was a bit perplexed and got out her dog book

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 08-02-2004 at 10:31 AM.